Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I'm thinking about sending my .280 AI rifle to have a make over. Question is I don't know what I want, exactly.

I plan to order an Hunter's EDGE sometime after the holiday season. I was thinking OD green, but that's just plain boring! I'd like to have it spiced up a bit. Perhaps something like this picture that came up on google? Anybody know what type of paint that is and who does it?

[Linked Image]

I'm also trying to decide on a Cerakote finish. At first I was thinking about graphite black, but I've recently seen a few pictures of AR15s done in tungsten grey. Does anybody have any good pictures of OD green stocks and tungsten grey metal they would be willing to share with me?

Thanks!

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That looks like Zolatone, the finish that Kampfeld and others use on stocks.

A similar finish could also be done with Curacoat or Ceracoat using the green base, with black and white splatters.

Eddie Fosnaugh can paint a stock like that using Cerakote.

I've done a number of stocks with a speckled finish, such as this one
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by darrenk75b; 12/01/11.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You might talk to Rick Bin at this site. He's done alot of that sort of thing. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tungsten grey with the bolt and rings graphite black. McMillan green.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have to check these guys out. I've always been more into precision shooting with customs and just used off-the-shelf hunting rifles until I built my .280 AI. It was too heavy and I have since had the smith recontour the barrel. I had rattle-canned it, but decided it needed a little more because the paint just isn't working for me.

Chrome, your rifle is gorgous! That was almost exactly what I was looking for! I think I may have my bolt fluted and do black flutes and tungsten grey on everything else. That looks sharp!

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Does Zolatone have a grippy texture like it appears in the photos?

ETA, just noticed that if you click on the link, you can order an EDGE through the site at a discount? Does it also include pillars?

Last edited by 65x47L; 12/01/11.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yes. Zolatone was one of the original bedliner treatments. It does have some texture. However, your Hunter's Edge will be nicely textured as well.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yes on the Zolatone texture question. I just recently had a stock done in Zolatone and have to say its become my favorite stock. I hunt a bit in the rain here in Oregon and when wet or cold its sure a nice feeling stock. Mine is a Classic Edge and I'd sure like another like it.

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 12/01/11.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just sprayed my second stock, the first was back in the mid-90's and I had no idea paint would not stick to the Model 7 stock worth a flip.

Round two, a Steven's 200 with black satin Krylon Fusion as a primer, Rustoleum Camo Green, Krylon Webbing paint followed by a few coats of Krylon matte clear. I am very pleased with the results and next will be hot pink and glitter for my daughter's Mark II following the same process.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dave

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dave,

That looks good!

Brett
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by darrenk75b

Karl Feldcamp (Kampfeld Custom) does not use Zolatone as far as I know........he only uses Cerrokote, both on the metal & stocks.

He's done metal & stocks both for me & both were done with Cerrokote........he has some really great colors. I was at his place a couple of weeks ago & saw some new stuff he had just done.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tag

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by darrenk75b

Karl Feldcamp (Kampfeld Custom) does not use Zolatone as far as I know........he only uses Cerrokote, both on the metal & stocks.

He's done metal & stocks both for me & both were done with Cerrokote........he has some really great colors. I was at his place a couple of weeks ago & saw some new stuff he had just done.

MM

Karl uses Zolatone too.

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
By the way Eddie Cerakoted the Remington 700 above.

He does awsome work, the rifle now belongs to Steelhead.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry to say, Zolatone is absolute crap. I knew a maker that used it, trusted him, recommended it here and subsequently found out it's junk. I usually never recommend something I don't have first-hand experience with, and that experience cemented that commitment.

What I can say is no paint I've ever seen is better than Sherwin Williams Polane-T. Nasa uses it on the nose of the space shuttle. It's the paint McMillan, Rick, Bansner and Brown Precision use. I'm sure other use it too.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
For stocks my #1 choice is air cure cerakote. He is a Tikka in sniper grey metal with a green, brown, black sponge job by my kids. The heat cure and air cure look identical, cannot really see any difference between the scope in air cure vs the rings and rest of the metal in heat cure.

[Linked Image]

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I wore through the Polane on a McMillan faster than I thought I would.

This is black Polane from McM, and I covered it in Krylon. The Polane is clearly a lot tougher than Krylon, but it will still wear through without too much coaxing.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 65x47L
I plan to order an Hunter's EDGE sometime after the holiday season.

Count on a 10 month turnaround, or more if you have them do a full installation.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
More like 3 months.

You will be limited to the standard McMillan Polane colours which has a nice grippy texture but can add other splatter etc on top. Alternatively you can order one unpainted and send it to a Cerakoter like Eddief for painting.

All Edge stocks come with pillars.

The tungsten grey is a great colour for the metalwork. It goes really well with McMillan olive Polane.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the picture in the original post looks like a Bansner paint job to me . I have one done by him that I hunt the piss out of and its 8 years old and its holding up just fine , no chips ,flakes , nada.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (16gage, 160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,841
Posts18,478,128
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.