Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
ok so i have narrowed my search for a rimfire rifle down to 3 choices. the ruger 77, cz 452 or 455, and browning t-bolt.

i have handled everything i can get my hands on. i did really like the savages aswell but the looks just didnt do it for me.

i want a sporter weight rifle, with scope. as i will be doing alot of walking with the rifle when out hunting.
and knowing myself shooting longer ranges will be my main focus on days when im just "plinking" between shooting groups with my hunting rifles. i would like to be able to shoot out to around 150-200yds so a scope is needed. 50yds and under shooting is just plain boring to me. and i shoot my dads old steel sight 22lr at 100yds or farther all day.

as for hunting purposes the main targets will be grouse, rabbits, and various rodents(Sp) and maybe a coyote under 100yds if by chance i was to see one. but i have other rifles for calling coyotes

so given my criteria, which caliber would be better. 22lr or 17hmr???? maybe a 22mag?

thanks guys. last rimfire topic till i actually get set up grin

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
If you're going to eat it, .22LR.

Honestly, the comparison is apples/oranges.

They are rimfires, but that's where the similarity stops.

IMHO, neither is enough for coyotes.

I've never been without a .22LR. For small game hunting, IMHO, there is no peer.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Of the rifles, CZ452, and it ain't even close.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 455 in 17 HMR with an added 22LR barrel. I mounted a Leupold VXII 3-9x40 in Burris Matte Med rings; I love it. It shoots a consistant 1/2" or better 50 yard group in either 17HMR or 22LR. It's a well built rifle; fit and finish are nice. The safety is backwards, but not a problem; a hang-up for others. They are worth more than the asking price in my opinion.

I added a YoDave trigger kit, and pull is setting at 22 oz. You need to get one; a 455 that is. Jeff

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
probably ought to snag a pair at least, 1 in .22LR, the other a 17HMR; unless more yotes are in the plans, in which case #2 would be 22mag.

as for which rifle...my CZ's were most likely to succeed as far as "out of the box" accuracy. actions have been a bit rough at first, but smoothed up nicely with use. triggers are an easy fix. if you are looking for a wood stocked gun, they occasionally let some good timber slip through.

Rugers...action smooth, triggers generally heavy, accuracy generally good, and i like the ruger magazine. i put volquartsen seers in my 17HMR and my 22LR, helped a lot. 22mag was surprisingly pretty good as it came. my 17M2 trigger is just plain crap, will be fixing that soon. plenty of barrel options for the older models, if you ever wanted to go aftermarket. (newer ones are threaded in)

T-bolt:...only got one so far, a 22LR, but it shoots good, nice light weight walking hunter for me...but mine is the sporter, a bit whippy, and a bit light for use off the bags. not much option for trigger if you snag a lousy one.

Marlin...accuracy good, and triggers (especially older ones) are an easy fix with ink pen springs and a bit of polishing. i know you didnt mention marlin, but their bolt guns are generally decent for the price.

============================================================

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I try to get excited about the .17 - but it just doesn't happen. Regardless - if it's your first rimfire or if you can only have one rimfire, it should be a .22.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bankwalker: Go with the wonderful Ruger 77/17!
I have been shooting rimfires of all makes and manner for the last 58 years, and the Ruger 77 in 17 HMR simply outperforms and out features any other rimfire out there - especially among those you mention!
My Ruger 77/17 V/T consistently shoots UNDER 1.00" at 100 yards (5 shot groups)!
I have killed Grouse, Wild Turkey, and every type feathered and furred Varmint out there including Coyote, Fox, Badger, Porcupine, Crows, Rock Chuck, Prairie Dog, Magpie, feral cat, Ground Squirrel, Weasel, Jack Rabbits and etc with my 17 HMR!
The safety, the fit and feel, the magazine, the scope rings, the trigger and the fit and feel of the Ruger 77/17's simply outclasses anything CZ makes!
The CZ's shoot well - I know, I have shot a bundle of them but I have never purchased one.
Money spent on the Ruger 77/17 is money much better invested!
With my Ruger 77/17 V/T my best group (5 shots at 100 yards) to date measured .502"!
I have several friends that shoot these Rugers and their accuracy is uniformally excellent.
I say buy American - buy the Ruger 77/17.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for the Ruger, and mine just happens to have a piece of fiddleback on it that will knock your socks off!

`Bring Enough Gun`
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by orion03
Another vote for the Ruger, and mine just happens to have a piece of fiddleback on it that will knock your socks off!

pictures, man! ya cant tease us like that without a peek. grin

i've never scored any great timber on 77/22's...mine were all kinda plain, then i went to factory tupperware on them and did dip jobs. got the stock here now to do my 17m2, just havent had time.

i have scored some snazzy timber on the CZ's though.

assorted rooga boat paddles:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

============================================================

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll see if I can get my wife to post a pic, I'm doing good just to talk on here.

`Bring Enough Gun`
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX

i've never scored any great timber on 77/22's...mine were all kinda plain, then i went to factory tupperware on them and did dip jobs. got the stock here now to do my 17m2, just havent had time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I really like that bottom one...nice job on all, but the first two just aren't my style...last one certain is tho..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Are those the Bomb or what!!!!!
I have paddle stocks in
10/22 77/17 77/22 and 77/22mag

Plus centerfires I kinda like them
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I try to get excited about the .17 - but it just doesn't happen. Regardless - if it's your first rimfire or if you can only have one rimfire, it should be a .22.

I'm with you there 100%! Just can't excited about any of the 17 calibers; maybe I'm just too old and jaded (and I don't want to buy extra cleaning equipment).

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
CZ 452 in 22LR. Why? Hands down the best quality and accuracy for the price point. Now if you want great accuracy, less quality, and a little lower price point, take another look at the vast array of the Savages..especially the MKII's.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I found a great deal on a cz 452 in 22lr or 17hmr. The guy said he would sell me either one for a price nobody could refuse.

I just haven't quite decided on caliber. Oh the torture I'm going through smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund
Originally Posted by FreeMe

I'm with you there 100%! Just can't excited about any of the 17 calibers; maybe I'm just too old and jaded (and I don't want to buy extra cleaning equipment).

Get BOTH! Maybe at a better price yet.

And the extra few bucks for the cleaning equipment is peanuts compared to the fun that is built into the .17s. Remember that neither is a first choice for a coyote, even though some people have killed one with a rimfire.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by bankwalker
I found a great deal on a cz 452 in 22lr or 17hmr. The guy said he would sell me either one for a price nobody could refuse.

I just haven't quite decided on caliber. Oh the torture I'm going through smile

For a first rimfire, .22LR, and easily so.

If you can get them both, do so.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by bankwalker

You'll regret not having both. Put identical scopes on them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
See my comments of today re a new CZ 452 in .22 LR. I just bought it based on the number of favourable comments made here on the Campfire and was not disappointed.

Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
If you're going to eat it, .22LR.

Honestly, the comparison is apples/oranges.

They are rimfires, but that's where the similarity stops.

IMHO, neither is enough for coyotes.

I've never been without a .22LR. For small game hunting, IMHO, there is no peer.

I'm gonna agree 100%. I like the .17hmr and think for a varminter it is great. If you had said prairie dogs, ground hogs and jackrabbits it would take top honers among the rimfires. But you're really talking two cartridges that are very far apart. The .17 is accurate and flat shooting and whacks little stuff hard. The .22 is much better on meat but not really suited for hunting over 100 yards if even that far. IMO, if plinkin is at all a concern then the .22lr wins hands down and you're gonna have to give some on the bunny and grouse shots that are out there very far.

CB

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (1badf350, 470Evans, 16penny, 44mc, 405winash, 35, 17 invisible), 1,712 guests, and 808 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,651
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.