Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I'm going soon to Germany and the Graf area to work for the next few years and I am very interested in hunting in the area. I have not been back there since the early 80s and I know things have changed considerably. Is there anyone on the forum that could give advise on where to start? I am looking at classes for the Jag license, how to ship my guns over, ect... and of course what are the rules for hunting on Graf itself and environs. Any other help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Larry

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are talking about the military training complex, you need to be associated with the US armed forces. They will hook you up with the forestry service in charge of the hunting.

As a civilian, it is possible to contact the Bundesforst in Grafenwoehr directly.

However - a hunting license is a prerequirement. Taking the german class is quite complicated and time consuming.

PM me if further info is needed.

Last edited by cmg; 12/04/11.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Yep, you'll need your German hunting license, they usually have courses through the Rod & Gun Club, (least they use too), there should be a hunting coordinator there on Graff to assist and help set up hunts. I never made it there to hunt but had buddies that did, I only hunted in Berlin and Baveria. Good luck with it, if you get your License, you'll need a good knife, every Jager has one. Keep me in mind. Good luck with it and Weitmannsheil.

John I.

Last edited by John_I; 12/09/11.

John I.
Messermacher
Voting Member Knifemakers GUILD
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i spent many frozen ass daze and nights there,its the torture chamber for nato troops.frozen mud and all,but theres alotta game.they do frown when ya launch a sabot at the deer.with that said have fun stay away from the stab and jab club.you sir are very lucky,i wood give my left nut to go back to germany.if ya get the chance check out all of bavaria you wont find a more beautiful place or nicer people or better food and drink.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ain't that the truth....I remember night fires with the Bradleys and guys touching off the 25mm's at hogs on the range, they were all over.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John I, where in AK do you hail from? Do you have a web page?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of the biggest rabbits/hares I've ever seen was in Graf during the early 80's

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
as stated. the rod and gun club will help you get the class to obtain your jagdschein.

Once you have your jagdschein you can fly your rifles with you from the states on a trip or you can have them mailed certified mail ups to the rod and gun club where you can pick them up.

The class at the rod and gun will get you spun up on all the particulars of the laws and such. graff hosts several hunts on post every year since it boasts one of the best red stag herds in the world. I believe the forst department fills a large portion of their abschussplan(game quota) but many bulls are killed during the brunftzeit(rut) in late september through october on hunts where you are guided by an experience hunter that will help you decipher the different classes of red stag so you dont get the buck fever on a small bull hunt and wack a $4000 monster.

It's really an amazing experience during the brunft. they don't scream like elk...... they roar.

Loving life in the Great North West one day at a time.

sounds like its time for a new gun.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A class in not neccessary.

The german hunting examination is mandatory for a regular hunting licence.

But - for hunters from foreign lands a system is set up for guest licences.

http://www.vogelsbergkreis.de/filea...blatt_Erteilung_Auslaenderjagdschein.pdf

I realize, this is in german.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I was stationed there for 14 months Oct 86- New Year's day 1988. All I remember is being careful when running the trails for PT that the hogs didn't get you. We always joked the Commander had a deal with the Debbil, stand in mud up to your arse and have dust blowing in your face. Also remember a frost in Aug.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spent 43 days in Graf in the '70s in a GP large during January and February. We had two heaters in the tent that kept it very comfortable. Snow was too deep and temps too low for me to wander much, and those hogs are big as a dang jeep! Had 2 meals per day: C-rats and C-rats. I fixed broken and incorrectly-assembled machineguns for the DATs on the TCQC: M219, M73E1, and M85. That M85 was a wicked sum-bich when it ran right! When the main guns on the M60s fired at night the sides of the tent would really shake, especially the 155mm on the M60A2s. Our tent was only about 200 meters off the line.

Better stop now. I could get carried away with the stories, as I'm sure a few others could.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Check with the military Rod and Gun Clubs, Graf had one that was very active. I was stationed at Ramstein, 99-02, the formal Rod and Gun club system had died with the lasp of the SOFA in 2001, 7 of the 10 clubs I visited had closed but I hear that the program has made a recovery to a degree. I was in the last or next to last American Hunting Class offered through the Rod and Gun Club at Landstuhl. What I learned about German hunting and Jagers, is that if you were willing to put up with the 40-50 hours of classroom instruction, the shooting test, the written test, and the insurance requirements, many hunters would invite you to hunt. Once you paid your first set of game fees, showed that you listened to the Forest Miester, and could be trusted to shoot only what you were told, then the doors opened wide and the invitations were many. Our local hunters were tasked to cull game, no fees, and much more regularly than I had expected. In all, it was a great experience and one that I look back on with enjoyment. Wait until you get the bug for a Drilling to bring home...the clubs I am tracking as still active were Landstuhl, Heidelburg, and Bahmholder. Good luck!!!

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/30/11.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
was stationed at panzer kaserne sw of stuttgart in a town called boeblingen from may 86- may 88
went to graf and hohenfels all the time
friggin boars everywhere
some of them got so used to human presence they would come up to the base of our ramps of our 113,s and we would give them mre crackers
lull em into a false sense of confidence in getting fed by humans
then take the hot sauce and coat one side of a cracker with it and give it to them with the hot sauce side on the roof of their mouths after a couple of seconds of chewing the hot sauce would take effect and the hogs would start running around in circles grunting and squealing
the things would all get one till about 8-9 of them had hot sauce crackers

next day the same thing

they never learned or either that they developed a craving for hot sauce

i passed up a chance in 1987 to go on a cape buff hunt in south africa with the rod and gun club in stuutgart like a fool
i was a young single e-5 had the money heck i was banking 500 a month and living on 500 a month
2k ticket
lodging, gun,guide, fee for the horn prep and ship back to germany
paperwork
7 days
mwr leave
da31 and id card
the whole 9yards
never did it
regret it to this day
i geuss at the time chasing women in stuttgart was my main preoccupation when i think about it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1234, 17Hunter, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 55 invisible), 17,957 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,961
Posts18,539,629
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.