Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks to all.

This isn't my first single shot or my first 45-70. It is my first Ruger No 1. I want to try lead bullets because I've used them in 303s, 7.62x54Rs, 30-30s, the 44 Magnum and even a 222. As someone whose work involves cartridges and rifles, it seemed like the thing to do.

I have a 44 Magnum Puma lever that I will be feeding 280s or 300s. While they are not in the same power class, it would be nice to use lead only loads for them too. I figure I'll experiment with these two very shortly.

I have to burn off the 45-70 cartridges that I loaded in 2000, but that will only take an hour. After the Ruger is cleaned, I'll start shooting lead.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
...I have to burn off the 45-70 cartridges that I loaded in 2000, but that will only take an hour. After the Ruger is cleaned, I'll start shooting lead.

And if sharpsguy's arguments aren't convincing (and from what I've read of his posts in the Africa section of the Nitro Express forums, he knows well whereof he speaks) you can always look into the Belt Mountain Punch Solids in case you find yourself facing a tetchy triceratops. Probably useful for penetrating the armoured vehicles currently in favour with the drug dealers out here, too.

smile Stuart

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Steve, welcome to the wonderful world of Ruger Number One rifles. I hope you've got a great photo of that rifle next to some kind of game animal this fall. Moose, bear, elk, caribou, deer... Something!

Regards, Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I confess the shootist was tellling the truth. I was young and a wee bit of a nut bag. It was fun to shoot and impress the girls, but I soon settled to 70 gr ffg with the same 500 gr bullet. The fire ball was impressive, but was way more controlable. Sharpsguy speaks the truth without any motive other than to edify.

It is the load I use today with any barrel marked 45/70 govt. There is no need for more, and like sharpsguy I have never recovered one from any animal.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by medicman
I confess the shootist was tellling the truth. I was young and a wee bit of a nut bag. It was fun to shoot and impress the girls, but I soon settled to 70 gr ffg with the same 500 gr bullet. The fire ball was impressive, but was way more controlable. Sharpsguy speaks the truth without any motive other than to edify.

It is the load I use today with any barrel marked 45/70 govt. There is no need for more, and like sharpsguy I have never recovered one from any animal.

Randy

grinDon't ferget ta tell 'em just how FAR away that load will do the nasty to a tasty grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
No pictures, but 42.0 grains of IMR3031 at 100 yd cloverleafs with the 400 gr. GCs from the Bullet Barn. The OAL is 2.450". I haven't chronoed this load, but if my calculations are correct, it should have a MV of about 1500 fps. Gentle on the shoulder. I'm not sure of the mould, but it shoots nice and tight! Better than I need.

I also checked my 30-06. It's good to go as well. The 45-70 seems to kicks less than the 30-06 loaded with homemade 200 gr. jacketed bullets.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You guys have me thinking........I found the 400 grain jacketed loads out of the Number One to be all I cared for when they were loaded up with healthy doses of IMR 4198 or IMR 3031. For the most part my standard load was a 300 gr. jacketed bullet over 48 grs of 4198. That load put deer down fast, but I have to admit,as I have gotten older, getting beat up on weekends has lost it's appeal.

I have only played with a few homemade cast bullets with mixed success before I gave up and moved on to something else. Somewhere on the back of a shelf in the reloading room I have a box of 500 lead 400 grainers. That 36 grains of 3031 load sounds like it might be worth a try.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
What's the line from that old TV ad? "Try it, you'll like it!"

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Congrats on a mighty fine gun in a mighty fine caliber. I have a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 and absolutely love it You can really load up on the Ruger #1. Maybe one day they could make it a double and send it to Africa. lol.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great tread. Most of us, I think get around to affording a Ruger #1 after 40+ years of age.Now you might be buying more. They will shoot MOA out of the boxs often,the excitment of the wood lottery and the many diiferent calibers will keep you buying. I see a 303 British in your future ?

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Some friends were asking when I would be buying a No 1 in 303 British. I told them that it was unlikely. You should never say never, but I was disappointed with Ruger's decision to use a .314 barrel.

Apart from my own bullets, I'm not aware of anyone that makes jacketed bullets for a tube that large. From what I've read, they shoot .311/.312s okay, but it would have been nice had they tightened things up a couple of thou.

In their defence, I believe they were following the original design specs which were 0.3134".

If one was to put a .308 barrel on this action and create a 7.62 British, it would improve bullet selection. After all, the 308 Winchester is merely a rimmed 303!

No 1s demand rimmed cartridges which would increase the rifle's charm!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (AdventureBound, 907brass, 300_savage, 2500HD, 79S, 10 invisible), 1,358 guests, and 822 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,929
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.