Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Arac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I guess I'll start the thread like many others have been started: "I'm planning on going to Africa..."

There seem to be countless outfits offering hunting opportunities, but I am looking for something to suit my needs (isn't everyone?). I am disabled due to a motor vehicle accident, and although I can get around quite well, I still have the limitations associated with being confined to a wheelchair.

The countries I am interested in are Tanzania and Mozambique. I would like to experience as much of the old, wild Africa as possible. I would also like to take my family, so I had thought of perhaps 1 week of hunting, 1 week of hanging out at the beach and maybe 1 week of lay-over time in Europe.

This is what I was thinking. Both Tanzania and Mozambique have nice beaches, I guess Zanzibar is probably right up there as one of the nicer places, correct? Next, I'd like terrain that has relatively flat areas where I could wheel myself along. I am interested in plains game such as Blue Wildebeest, Greater Kudu, Kongoni, Grant's and Thomson's Gazelles, Impala and so forth. I am not too picky, it is the entire experience that matters the most.

Of course Cape Buffalo would be nice, but my limitations and thinkness of my pocket-book mean that it will be an unlikely quarry for me.

The next question is with respect to budgeting. Some web sites appear to have good explanation of daily fees, trophy fees and so on. But what other extras do I have to think about? I suspect taxidermy and shipping costs of trophies can really add up - I'd probably stick to euro-mounts.

So then, any suggestions? Thanks in advance. BTW, the plan is for a 2013 trip.

Last edited by Arac; 12/03/11.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, since I've been there twice, and as defined in a previous topic, I therefore know twice as much as everything, I'll chime in. smile

Actually my experience is limited to a couple farms in S.A. and a week in Cape Town, S.A. I can recommend Cape Town for the sight seeing, wine country, restaurants, people, hotels, and beaches. Heck, I can even recommend a tour guide! Beaches are nice, but the Atlantic may be too cold to enjoy if you're there at the wrong time of year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Email me, I own HuntingAdventures.net I'm not a booking Agent, I'm a Professional Hunter and outfitter.

There have been countless visitors to this site that have hunted with me. Do a search and see how many! We have a spectacular Wheel chair accessible hunting blinds.

I think there have been nearly a dozen wheel Chair hunters with me in my near 20 year career now. At least ten, but thats only Wheel chairs. We have had lots of handicapped folks come with including a completely blind hunter with a custom made rifle that had the scope mounted so another person could look through and aim while the blind hunter pulled the trigger when told the sights were lined up. We were all skeptical about this, but the plan worked and the shots were all near perfect.

One funny part of this was me asking if he wanted his lights out in the room one night so he did not have to get up, he replied " I did not know they were on, I'm blind" I Felt like an idiot, but it was a good laugh for him the rest of the week. He asked me frequently where the light switch was, and could I "get the lights".

I kinda figure taking a 100% blind guy hunting makes every person after that pretty much effortless

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Even though I have not hunted with JJ (yet), I'll vouch for him and his operation!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Arac, I could be wrong on what I'm about to say, but here goes, anywaygrin

I think trying to do just a 1 wk. hunt in "Old Africa" may be very difficult due to the logistics of getting you AND family in and out of camp[think very expensive air charters]. While it won't necessarily give you the old africa feel, I think you will get the biggest bang for your buck, hunting RSA. Infrastucture and getting from point A to point B will be much easier. Besides hunting, you and the family can tour Krueger National Park, visit Capetown, and take in many other sites. What you want out of "Old Africa", and what your family wants, may be two different things. In any affect, trying to do the hunt in Moz or TZ in less than 10 actual hunting days could be dissapointing to say the least. Also getting trophies out of either country will likely cost you way more than RSA. With some due diligence, you could find a tent camp hunt in RSA, to give you the feel of the hunting portion of the trip, you are looking for. While I haven't hunted Namibia, I think the same thing can be said there. Beaches on the west coast, large well run safari operations, and tours of Etosha park and other sites, etc. All of this is JMHO.

Here are a couple of websites that can help in your search.

http://www.phasa.co.za/extensions/phasa-members/165-phasa-members-jkl.html

professional hunters assoc. with RSA members.

http://www.natron.net/napha/

Namibia professional hunters assoc.

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 12/04/11.
IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I'll second the comment that RSA is best. You can wait by a water hole in a blind or even sit in the back of the truck and shoot at game seen from there. There are some who think that's not "sporting" but it's legal and I disagree with them in your case.

You can get more plains game in a shorter time in RSA than anywhere else. In addition it's easier to get to. our PH will meet you at the Johannesburg airport and drive about 4 hours to the hunting area in Limpopo Province.

Tanzania and Mozambique are expensive and somewhat specialized, either for dangerous game or sable. Also, while some of the terrain may look flat on videos, it's usually covered with potholes.

I've hunted with Eric Terblanche at Amanita Safaris and recommend him. Also, as noted, our own JJ Hack is recommended by those who have hunted with him.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Arac, one other suggestion. I know it's kind of short notice, but maybe you and your family could go to Dallas the 1st weekend of Jan., and take in the Dallas Safari Club convention. There are outfitters there from all over Africa. You could discuss your needs and wants with them, and come home with a much better picture of what to expect on your safari.

maddog

RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
+1 on JJhack and +1 on South Africa. You will have a great time and it will make life a lot simpler.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

Arac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info. I have reservations about RSA and I am trying to think of how to put this without sounding: stuck up, ignorant or any other number of adjectives!

I have a friend who moved here to Canada from RSA. Some of his family have already joined him here in Canada and others are in the process of leaving. Security is a big issue for them. They are all professionals - he is a computer programmer. My family physician - and her husband who is also a physician - moved here from RSA. In fact, a very significant portion of medical doctors in British Columbia are from there.

There was a recent program on the radio here talking about how the wealthy and educated want to leaves RSA, and how the government, in an attempt to keep them there, is trying to make things difficult for them to leave (examples given include restrictions on the removal of assets). One of the big issues around the last World Cup was security, and I heard some of the stadiums had security fences around them, and tourists were bused directly from their hotels into the secure area.

Is the situation there blown out of proportion by the media? How does that explain the exodus of doctors and other professionals?

So security is one point, the other is the actual hunting experience. I really enjoy the wilderness. Let's say I want to shoot a Kudu. It's ok if I don't; If the chance at a shot is 100% then I don't feel as though it is a hunt. Now, let me make it clear - that is just how I feel, and I have no intention or desire to convince others that my way is the "right way", or that others are "wrong".

An important part of hunting for me is feeling happy and satisfied about the way things went on the hunt, and that doesn't neccessarily mean killing something - although that part is certainly very fun too! That is part of the reason I asked about terrain too. I want to try and "work" as much as I can for whatever I shoot. Driving around in a truck and shooting from there is not ideal for me. Ideal would be perhaps driving to a spot, getting out and wheeling myself along a trail or road. I can go for quite some distance ss long as the terrain is relatively hard and flat. For example I could easily go several km if the conditions are right on a logging road.

I have this impression - and perhaps it is wrong - that hunting in RSA is more like hunting on a farm or ranch. The animals are not exactly free ranging, even though the size of the property is huge. Am I wrong in having that belief?

I am open to all suggestions and ideas, and my mind certainly isn't set on Tanzania or Mozambique. I should also point out that I have never been on a guided hunt before, so my views are based solely on what I have read so forgive me if my questions seem foolish to those who have real life experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your budget allows, there is no place that compares with Masailand Tanzania, IMO. It is awfully expensive, but the experience is unique and the quality of the game is unequaled.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, if you feel that way, then I'd look into Namibia. Use the website I posted above, and look at different operator's websites. You will be able to go to the oean, hunt 7-10 days, and check out the countries tourist attractions, such as Etosha National park. Also, you could fly to Frankfurt Germany, and connect with air namibia and fly directly to Windhoek, the nation's capital. Thus avoiding RSA/Johannesburg, altogether. I am told they have bigger properties to hunt with fewer high fences than RSA. Good luck on your quest.

maddog

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if you lived in Europe and were told all of America is ghetto and the dangers of visiting when you must go thru or stay in the Watts district of LA, The Cabrini Green area of Chicago, or much of the inner citys of detroit and NY or Philadelphia were what you would experience, what would you tell that potential visitor?

Are those bad places how all of America is? Would they compare to say Yellowstone park? Glacier park? Yosemite? Would they be the same threat or danger level as visiting Mount Rushmore? the Florida Keys? The grand canyon?

You're not going to be in the inner city or any city for longer then the vehicle ride to get away from the airport and metropolitan area. Once in the bush it's all good, just like the USA. If you're not going to hang out in the ghettos of America, why would you in South Africa?

If you vacation in the most beautiful places in America then that's what you would experience in RSA. South Africa is a huge country by African continent standards. There are 10,000ft mountain peaks, the Kalahari desert, the rainforest of Natal, the bush of the northern Province. There is no country that has as much diverse habitat nor any country on earth with more species of big game. There are thousands of miles of coast line with pristine beaches, wild life ranging from Penguins to Elephants, wine country, history and engineering from mining to Agriculture.

RSA has it's issues, but who does not right now? It's harder to bring a firearm into the USA to hunt with then it is into RSA. The Highway network and infrastructure is still as good or better then any other location in southern Africa.

Don't be paranoid about the media non-sense. Remember Mandela was on TV raving about the oppression of the blacks on Opra. How is it the media never asked why it was still okay to buy and sell black women under his rule? Somehow the media swept that under the rug.

There are no issues for tourists or sport hunters coming to the bush. You will be on many thousands of acres of Private land. Everyone on that property works for us or is a known resident. Any trespassers are run of instantly by the black employees or black residents working for us. I've never seen a single threat from anyone in 20 years in the bush. We have caught poachers on several occasions, but they were unarmed and gave up when caught.

You would have a greater threat to your well being broken down on a road in a big city in America, then you will in the bush of South Africa!

As far as the hunting, the roads are all sand, you sink and inch when you walk. A wheel chair would be brutal to try and roll along in. But more then that is the height issue. The bush from the ground up to 5-6 feet is thick. above that is why we use the vehicles to sit higher and see over the tops. from there we would normally get out and stalk. Your limitations for this are unique. However we have blinds at water points and meadows where game feeds and it's an excellent spot to see hundreds of animals a day and be able to make steady deadly shots from.

The roads are not smooth and level nor are the flat. The hills are rolling and the materials are not suited for wheelchair use. Rocky and sandy is the normal condition. As far as the wildness of the game, stay away from the Eastern Cape farms and put and take arrangements. few natural species live there and it's what created the feeling of people shooting farmed game in RSA.

The Northern Province has completely different laws and regulations. We cannot do what they do down there. All we have is natural wild game that is born in the bush lives in the bush and has been in this bush forever. The properties are so large you cannot hunt them in a lifetime. You would not ever see 1% of it on foot if you hunted that way for the whole time. Many hunting properties are from 50, sq miles to well over 100-150 sq miles of landmass.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In the past 3 years I have hunted Tanzania once, Mozambique once, and Zimbabwe three times. I have never hunted South Africa.

I will start with South Africa. From all accounts it is a wonderful country with some very good operators that has some problems no different than Zimbabwe. However, I do not care for the feel of a ranch hunt and I will explain why.

In 2010 my wife and I went to Mozambique with Mokore Safaris for a plainsgame hunt with sable being the primary quary and buffalo being a target of opportunity. It was one of the best experiences I ever had in Africa. We shot some wonderful animals and it was a real and wild as Africa can be. No fences, very nice tented camps, lions in the camp at night, and an extremely competent PH. We then moved to the Save Conservancy in Zimbabwe with the same PH. The save is 850,000 acres and at one time was completely fenced on the exterior with no interior fences. Some of the exterior fences have been removed. We had a great time in the Save, took some great animals, and really enjoyed ourselves. But it was different than Mozambique, different feel, and a little hard to explain but it was a ranch hunt. Keep in mind these hunts were one day apart so it was an easy comparison. Mokore also offers fishing on the coast, it is probably a days drive, but I love seeing the countryside.

Tanzania offers some great experiences but is so EXPENSIVE. Charters, day rates, and most outfitters like to cater to the DG hunts make it costly.

The Mozambique hunt would seem to fit your requirements as the terrain was from flat, to rolling hills.

This is a link to the Mozambique/Save trip.

http://www.cowislandoutdoors.com/Africa.php

This a link to Mokre's site. I hunted Coutada Nine in the Tandwicke camp.

http://www.mokoresafaris.com/html/mozambique_camps.html

I am NOT a booking agent or profit in any way from hunting, however if you want some more info email me at kburke2006att.net

good luck with your adventure

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Arac, certainly security is always a problem. Specially if you do not know where NOT to go to. I have never had a security issue.

Mozambique is very remote indeed but it is going to take 2 days drive to get there, and two to get back. I have access to a place right on the coast where the tractor or 4wheeler can take you to the beach for some good fishing. On Christmas last year my brother and his family were the only people on the beach as far as the eye could see both ways. Hunting will be hard but can be done. Tanzania I know very little of.

South Africa: expect no freebies. You will have to do as much yourself as you can if you can shoot straight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dare say that the shot opportunity will be 100% no matter what country you go to. After all, that is exactly what the PH is being paid for. After being told your limitations, he most likely will already have a blind/water hole/ savannah in mind to station you at. Because in truth, none of us that go on a modern safari or even a Ruarkesqe (It's now a word!) is actually hunting. The trackers and the professional hunters are. I don't know the creatures habits, likes, patterns, etc. but the natives sure do. Watching them stalk a wounded or live animal in places where you yourself can't see so much as a smudge is truly amazing. Or being able to pick out a single track amidst dozens. Even though you have no reason to, trust me. It's a hunt. With farms averaging 5000-500,000 acres the only reason it's a guaranteed opportunity is because the hunting staff bust their butts to get you in a position to make it so. I have had %100 opportunity on my trips because we walked/crawled/snuck 9 hours a day and actually hunted. You probably won't see a fence except when you drive in, and the day you leave.
Sure, there are bad operators out there, just as there are anywhere. But if you do your due dilligence, you should be able to sniff them out pretty easily.

As to security, S.A. is probably more secure than any other state in Africa. Yes it has problems, it is not the USA or europe but I'll make another promise. You will have absolutely NO issues there. Just make sure that if someone says NOT to go somewhere after dark, you don't go. They know their neighborhoods better than you do. No different than me telling you not to go to the southwest part of my hometown of Albuquerque.

Just trying to be helpful.

J
J
Hello Arac,

I have a aquaintance who is wheelchair bound who hunted in Africa some years ago and was able to kill 2 cape buffalo and other game. I do not know who he hunted with nor remember the country but I'll try to find out if you would like. He gave a very nice presentation at a Casper, Wyoming, SCI meeting 6-8 years ago.

Planning and the excitement it brings is a huge part of the fun of an African safari! www.shakariconnection.com has a lot of useful information for the planning phase... Most of the outfitters/professional hunters/staff will work hard to give you and your family the trip of your dreams including good hunting in good country, great food, companionship, and physical safety!

Best,

jpj3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Arac,

There is a lot to cover here. Let's start with Tanzania and Moz.

They both have areas for the "classic" safari, but with restrictions. A ten day hunt in Tanzania gives you only 1 cape buffalo, 1 impala, 1 zebra, and one other antelope (hartebeast) as of a few year ago. That safari for you alone with charters, fees, licenses and all the other stuff will end up close to $20k. Been there, done it, loved it but you need to book for 14-21 days to expand your license, and the costs skyrocket!

To hunt Moz, you'll most likely need to stage out of RSA and hunt the area near Kruger Park. Moz doesn't have great infrastructure, and is by report tough hunting in areas. Swampy areas, brush busting, etc. I was told by PH I know and trust that his areas in Moz are not really family friendly.

Northern Cameroon would fit your idea of a "classic" safari. The area is open savannah that will remind one of Tanzania. It helps to speak some French, but not essential, as most of the outfitters there are French. 14 days for an entire family will be $40k, but will give the Hemingway experience.

Now for RSA-JJ has done a good job of covering that. I've been there many times, and looking at going back this Spring. Great place for the family, as I've taken mine several times. I would be THE place for hunting, beach time and sightseeing.
Hunt up North, and it is a wild as any place else. I suppose an analogy would be Colorado vs Alaska. If you have in your mind that Tanzania is wild like Alaska, then RSA is more like hunting Colorado. There are plenty of wild areas in Colorado, they are not found in Denver.

Safety in RSA- there are virtually no safety concerns in any of the hunting areas. You are safer there than you are in your own home. The cities have problems, but not "Escape from New York" stuff that you might read about. The locals will let you know what to avoid.

20+ years ago I walked around J'Berg after dark with no fears. That would be suicide now, but that doesn't mean all of the country is doomed. Would you walk around Compton after dark?

RSA really fits with bill for what you call for, except the primitive/remote sense you might want. There is getting less and less of that sort of thing everywhere, and the price of it is climbing to the point that soon it will be affordable by only oil barons and Sheiks.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Arac,
I don't have much to offer regarding Africa hunting since I've only been on one hunt and that was RSA. I hunted both the Northern Cape and Eastern Cape areas and had a ball. It was ranch hunting on huge areas and I busted my butt trying to sneak on good animals and never hunted so hard. I think RSA is a great option for family safaris and your first Africa experience, and believe me, you will go back to Africa.

As for security, I never felt at risk at anytime in either location or in traveling from Northern Cape to Eastern Cape by truck. I live in Seattle and there are several places here the cops don't even want to go into. Pick a good outfitter and he will die before he puts you or your family at risk.

There was an exodus of whites from RSA and that probably continues for a number or reasons. I also know there were a lot of Americans that have left the U.S. to live in Canada, Mexico, Belize, Costa Rico and other countries for similar reasons.

Is RSA Ruarkesqe? No, but it is Africa, it is beautiful and the hunting is hard and great fun. Oh, and when you're tracking in the bush, don't get between the cow rhino and her calf, that is another story...and I am planning my next trip now.

Last edited by Uptonogood; 12/05/11.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Hi Arac,

I would like to pitch in here regarding security issues in South Africa. I currently live in Johannesburg, my property is exposed on 3 sides; road on one side, public park on 2 boundaries; the park runs adjacent to a river with a hiking trail in excess of 20 miles. We have had the property for 17 years & have experienced no incidents. My wife & I have also looked at relocating out of South Africa and I don't have any issues with visa's etc. as many other South Africans do (I'm a British national), the main reason is looking to the future for our kids i.r.o. work opportunities etc. due to labour/educational legislations in South Africa. (PM for details).

I have hunted on various ranches in the northern parts of South Africa (Limpopo province), the reason for the fences is to allow open seasons on game (legal requirements from govt.), I can assure you that the game is not farmed, is wild & challenging to hunt. My most recent quest has been for Zebra, 6 days in the bush, 2 ranches (both larger than 10000 acres) saw tracks & very fleeting glimpses of them, but no Zebra on the wall for me yet. I have never felt threatened in the bush, even on our last trip where it was just my son (13)& I in an isolated bush camp, the ranch staff were all at the main buildings a couple of miles away.

Further to what others have said, safety is a matter of not going into known trouble areas (regardless of country). The most insecure I have felt was in Birmingham, UK; was supposed to be there for 3 days, left after 1 night. Watching the UK news whilst there I was quite shocked as to how South Africa is portrayed internationally.

I have never hunted Mozambique but have travelled there for scuba diving vacations but from my experiences there I don't think it would be a viable wheelchair hunting destination. As mentioned by others Limpopo is good but mostly very thick sand so I feel your hunts would mostly be restricted to blinds / vehicles. I think for self mobility in a wheelchair the best options (hard packed roads/paths) would be in the Freestate, Northern Cape & Karoo.

Any questions just ask.

Arac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I have to give all of you a big "thank you" for the great answers and info. It really gives me lots to think about - especially with respect to RSA. I really do appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, AB2506, 406_SBC, 14 invisible), 4,158 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,808
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.