Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
It took a while but I got my Rossi Puma .454 lever action back from M&M gunsmithing. He slicked up the action and did a trigger job on it and it is like a new gun. It was so stiff before it hurt my fingers to work the action and now it is like my friend's Henry it is so smooth. He also put a scope mount on for me and needless to say I can recommend him to anyone who needs work done.
He is slow but I have found just about all good gunsmiths are as they get so much work. It took about 4 months to get the work done which is quicker than some and with the way the gun is now I can't say I mind at all.

GB1

B
B
Fireman Frank, glad to hear you like your 454 Puma. I picked up a used one a week or so ago for what I thought was a good price. Looks great but when I took it out to the range it would not feed 454 rounds. It really did not even like the 45 colt round but they would go in if you worked the lever quickly. Also noticed a split on the front wood, does not look like much but?
I was wondering did you have any problems with your's feeding in 454's? Before you ask, it will not take hand loads OR factory rounds.
At the gunsmith's not to see if he can fix.
It's a hoot to shoot and those big boys sure let you know when you light it off. Not sure why I have it except well I can.
Never know when some wild hog or freaked out Zombi will sneek in the backyard : )

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by bm51
Fireman Frank, glad to hear you like your 454 Puma. I picked up a used one a week or so ago for what I thought was a good price. Looks great but when I took it out to the range it would not feed 454 rounds. It really did not even like the 45 colt round but they would go in if you worked the lever quickly. Also noticed a split on the front wood, does not look like much but?
I was wondering did you have any problems with your's feeding in 454's? Before you ask, it will not take hand loads OR factory rounds.
At the gunsmith's not to see if he can fix.
It's a hoot to shoot and those big boys sure let you know when you light it off. Not sure why I have it except well I can.
Never know when some wild hog or freaked out Zombi will sneek in the backyard : )

Have you taken it apart , cleaned & lubed it ?

God bless
wyr

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Anyone with a medium ability of mecahnics can take one apart and hone the action to get rid of the burs etc. Trigger is another area,but the ones I have are pretty good.
A lot of the levers guns need to have the actions worked smartly.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
B
Have not taken apart to clean or lub. Have cleaned barrel and action as well as possible without disassembly. Bought used so I have no break down of gun. But I do have a fair amount of mechanical aptitude and if that is what is needed, I can disassemble and clean and lub.
45 colt seems to work OK making a brisk motion with lever. 454 does not make it at all. Round gets caught on top of chamber. If I do not jam it there I can simply lift the back end up slightly and the round slide in. Maybe top of chamber is not chamfered right or enough?

IC B2

B
B
OK did not trust myself tearing it apart for the first time. Took it to a local gun smith with the problem. he keeps it over three weeks and then says it's a cheaply made gun with little or no quality control. he reccomands sending back to Rossi. I get pissed and decide to tear it down, spend about half an hour taking apart, got about all that you can seperate except the barrel. Cleaned all up, checked for roughness, did not find any. Spent about three hours putting back together (should have paid more attention ) but when I get done it works. takes 45 colt and 454 casul. Have not shot it yet, may come flying apart first round I touch off but cycles now.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (1OntarioJim, 41rem, 16penny, 35, afisher, 12 invisible), 1,637 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,494
Posts18,472,105
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.