Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 70 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 69 70
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by specneeds
If you live in elk country and have horses you certainly don't need a 300 Weatherby for elk. When you pay several thousand dollars for guided hunts on private ranches most deer calibers will serve you well. If you shoot 10000 rounds a year and carry a 14 lb. 1000 yard Match rifle wearing an NSX you can pick a bunch of calibers that work just as well.

For public land hunters who might get one opportunity at 500 yards or get tag soup - the 300 Weatherby is as good as it gets. The down range power and flat trajectory kill elk with much better performance and stopping power than a 30-06 or 7 mag.

You almost can't be more cost effective than the 300 where an excellent, accuracy guaranteed rifle is available new for around $600 and used rifles for much less. Brass is widely available and Weatherby factory 180's can be had for less than $40.

Really cool 264 Win Mags are great but try finding reasonably priced rifles or buying off the shelf ammo almost anywhere. Super 338's are probably the ultimate long range elk killers but aren't practical for most shooters and most wallets. For my money the 300Weatherby is the best bang for your elk killing buck.

Specneeds –

While I agree in large part with much of what you say, and while I agree the .300 WBY is great for elk, “as good as it gets” is a bit of a stretch. A lot of hunters can’t handle the recoil well, ammo costs are higher than many can afford, many hunters want a lighter rifle and many hunters want a rifle that is shorter than factory rifles in .300 WBY. For the one rifle hunter, a .300 WBY is rarely “as good as it gets”. Daughter #1 went with a .308 Win which suits her much better for all the reasons above. Both of my son-in-laws, both new to big game hunting and centerfire rifles, got .30-06 rifles as wedding presents for the same reasons.

Practice is important and brass-cased .30-06 180g hunting ammo can be had for under $13.50, a price which suits limited pocketbooks much better and allows 3x the practice for the same price as a box of $40 WBY ammo.

As to the down range power and killing elk with “flat trajectory kill elk with much better performance and stopping power than a 30-06 or 7 mag”, that has to be qualified. Those qualities are not needed at ranges where most elk are taken and are helpful at longer ranges only if the shooter can take advantage of them. Many cannot. This year, my hunting buddy missed a 6x5 bull elk at 400+ yards with his 7mm RM. A few seconds later I shot the same bull at 411 yards using his rifle. The bull went “4 steps and down” according to my hunting buddy, performance that is typical of what I’ve experienced when using both my 7mm RM and .30-06 rifles.

The point is that “as good as it gets” is a qualitative assessment that is meaningless without the parameters with which that judgement is made. Every shooter is different and has different capabilities and needs. For many a .300 WBY would not be “as good as it gets” but rather a horrible choice.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you really want quantitative data, tell how many elk you have killed to base the judgement of whether the 300 WBY, or any other cartridge for that matter, is or isn't a good choice...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Have not killed as many elk as Shrapnel and some others, but have been on lots of elk hunts for an easterner(we aren't talking a double handful;way more than that),and been around the taking of a good many in addition to those I killed.Virtually all were mature full sized 5 and 6 point bulls.

I have also had lots of opportunities to dig through many elk carcasses post mortem and see what the bullets did.

Seen them killed with a good variety of cartridges from 25's to 340's and most everything in between. I have never been anywhere that the 300 Weatherby was not an excellent elk cartridge. Of course I have never seen one killed with anything beyond 550 yards or so. The ones I killed with the 300 Weatherby and Winchester magnums showed excellent performance.

Some of the fastest kills ( and I mean dumped where they stood out to 500 yards or so) have been with the 7 rem mag and Nosler Partitions. Anyone who thinks that isn't a top notch elk out fit is IMHO, smoking crack... grin

But then I have seen the same things with the 7 rem Mag, the 30/06,300 Win Mag, 8 Rem Mag, the 338, the 340 Weatherby etc etc.

IME the 300 magnums seem to make bigger holes in elk than smaller calibers; the heavy bullets break (smash, not just penetrate) heavy shoulder and leg bones with good bullets, and Nosler Partitions(180 or 200) penetrate a long ways in elk bodies, but not much further than 160-175 in 7mm near as I can tell.

But do they kill elk any faster? I don't know and bet you'd need 300-400 kills with each and a stop watch to tell the difference...but what do I know?

The 300's are no insurance for bad hits around the fringes of vital areas.I have gotten a bit sloppy a couple of times and hit slightly off center with a 300 magnum; they needed follow up and I did not lose them but it can happen. A friend lost a good BC bull with a high hit from a 300 RUM,and I have seen the same thing happen with a 7 Rem Mag on a bull shot by another hunter.

IME You have to be just as precise with a 300 Weatherby as anything else. I don't think added horsepower saves you with bad hits,but think very strongly that more penetration than you think you need is your friend...with anything.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think any of the 300 mags are great for elk, provided you use the right bullet and can shoot it accurately.

As to the OP, any thing the 300 Wbycan do, the 300 RUM can do better (ballistically).

BH63

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by specneeds
If you live in elk country and have horses you certainly don't need a 300 Weatherby for elk. When you pay several thousand dollars for guided hunts on private ranches most deer calibers will serve you well. If you shoot 10000 rounds a year and carry a 14 lb. 1000 yard Match rifle wearing an NSX you can pick a bunch of calibers that work just as well.

For public land hunters who might get one opportunity at 500 yards or get tag soup - the 300 Weatherby is as good as it gets. The down range power and flat trajectory kill elk with much better performance and stopping power than a 30-06 or 7 mag.

You almost can't be more cost effective than the 300 where an excellent, accuracy guaranteed rifle is available new for around $600 and used rifles for much less. Brass is widely available and Weatherby factory 180's can be had for less than $40.

Really cool 264 Win Mags are great but try finding reasonably priced rifles or buying off the shelf ammo almost anywhere. Super 338's are probably the ultimate long range elk killers but aren't practical for most shooters and most wallets. For my money the 300Weatherby is the best bang for your elk killing buck.

Specneeds –

While I agree in large part with much of what you say, and while I agree the .300 WBY is great for elk, “as good as it gets” is a bit of a stretch. A lot of hunters can’t handle the recoil well, ammo costs are higher than many can afford, many hunters want a lighter rifle and many hunters want a rifle that is shorter than factory rifles in .300 WBY. For the one rifle hunter, a .300 WBY is rarely “as good as it gets”. Daughter #1 went with a .308 Win which suits her much better for all the reasons above. Both of my son-in-laws, both new to big game hunting and centerfire rifles, got .30-06 rifles as wedding presents for the same reasons.

Practice is important and brass-cased .30-06 180g hunting ammo can be had for under $13.50, a price which suits limited pocketbooks much better and allows 3x the practice for the same price as a box of $40 WBY ammo.

As to the down range power and killing elk with “flat trajectory kill elk with much better performance and stopping power than a 30-06 or 7 mag”, that has to be qualified. Those qualities are not needed at ranges where most elk are taken and are helpful at longer ranges only if the shooter can take advantage of them. Many cannot. This year, my hunting buddy missed a 6x5 bull elk at 400+ yards with his 7mm RM. A few seconds later I shot the same bull at 411 yards using his rifle. The bull went “4 steps and down” according to my hunting buddy, performance that is typical of what I’ve experienced when using both my 7mm RM and .30-06 rifles.

The point is that “as good as it gets” is a qualitative assessment that is meaningless without the parameters with which that judgement is made. Every shooter is different and has different capabilities and needs. For many a .300 WBY would not be “as good as it gets” but rather a horrible choice.

So the only disadvantages you see with the .300 WBY have to do with factors that have no relation in how it actually works on elk?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How a particular rifle or chambering performs on elk has more to do with bullet placement than speed.

The more you practice, the better your bullet placement. The 300 wby. has enough recoil that lots of people won't shoot one as much as say, a .308 in a similar rifle. In that respect, as well as cost per round, it's not as good as a .308.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rosco1
The .300 Weatherby is a decent elk round if you don't need much reach and love recoil.
Been hittin the eggnog pretty hard? Agree on the recoil, but you pulled the rest outta your ass.
Pretty sure I use more reach on elk than most and willing to bet I have punched tags further than any .300 bee lover. laugh

Just Sayin. cool
What fantasy land are you living in, that a 215 berger at a conservative 3000 fps doesnt give you enough "reach"?

The "fantasy land" where you actually have to hit the bull in the right spot. I like to call it the Real World. wink

If you think paper or computer ballistics are the end all be all of reach then you need to shoot more and surf less. Recoil matters when discussing reach.

I agree its performance can be matched or bettered with much less recoil/powder..Thats why I dont use it.

That makes it impractical for LR,not incapable.

Merry Christmas

I never said it was "incapable". The thread title asked "is there anything better?" To accurately paraphrase I said there were better choices and it appears you agree. shocked

Originally Posted by Tanner
I want some of whatever eggnog Burnsfeld is chugging.
Tanner

Only the good stuff, Tunner.

[Linked Image]
Not when I shot them in the head. You have to admit, you don't fit into the average hunting and shooting scenerios with the equipment you use and where you hunt.

I don't get your point? I have shot plenty of bulls in close and would argue the .300 Bee is even less optimal inside 300yds.

Elk are not exactly bullet proof if you hit the right spot. Hit the wrong spot with the .300 Bee and you will need to shoot again.

Do you think there is a place on a bull where the .300 Weatherby works and 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 264 Win Mag or even the .243 Win/105gr VLD bounces off?

If there wasn't an advantage to larger calibers they would hunt elephants with a 17 Remington...
Seriously??
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by kroo88
My favorite Montanan philosopher Teddy K. had it right when he warned against technological advances.

Sure I'll take a beating for this, but I would appreciate never having to hear-
"Oh yeah, what's its ballistic coefficient?"-again.

The last bull I killed with the 300 Weatherby was inside 20 yards. Jumped off a Colorado canyon edge after hearing him bugle. Somehow got between him and his cows and called him into that range.

Grew up reading Outdoor Life articles about putting the sneak on big bucks and bulls. Feel sorry for the up and coming hunter who will never know anything but yardages and bc's.

I don't suspect you get the hypocrisy of thinking the .300 Weatherby some sort of low tech approach to elk rifles.

Want to hunt low tech with a firearm then grab an iron sighted revolver, load bullets you cast yourself into .45 Long Colt cases and put the sneak on a bull in open country.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

John, no argument here over your long range success but the 300 Wby with the right bullet--a good "slippery," 200-grainer is all that's needed--a good base/scope set-up, due diligence without retinal detachment, will go as far as I am going to shoot at them which is not as far as you will. I do like rifles that speak up though. 😄

Nothing against your choices at all.

George,

Obviously the thread title is provocative and intended to spark spirited debate. Just doing my part to keep it lively. laugh

Originally Posted by BobinNH
IME You have to be just as precise with a 300 Weatherby as anything else.

Good point Bob.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 12/28/15.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My first impression is, "geez whiz," how many times has this stuff been gone over.. But then I remember how I drank it up as a entry level elk Hunter, and I realize there are new hunters reading this stuff all the time.

I think BobNH and I have followed much the same path as far as working up the "cartridge latter" from the standards to the big 7's, 30's, and 33's, and then the 375 and have some of the same experience, particularly on elk.

There is no standard cartridge or "small magnum" that performs like a large 30 or 33 on elk over larger numbers of elk taken, over a period of time, at "normal mountain ranges," if,..IF, you can shoot it accurately. If you can't after trying just don't go there. It's not for you and you will be worse off pursuing it. Other, smaller cartridges will work too.

As to the small caliber, "pencil bullet" niche, and taking elk at 800 yards, I'm not talking about that either. At five hundred yards, covering 99 % or more of all elk taken, a big 30 (or 33) will be decidedly more impressionable than anything else that is hand held, again, IF...if you can carry it and shoot it accurately.

Ninety-eight % of all hunters shouldn't contemplate shooting any further anyway if even that far.

So, as to the 300 Wby (including other big 30"s or 33"s) and its use on elk, it IS "about as good as it get," regardless if someone can handle it or not. That has no bearing on the cartridge itself and its inherent ability when it is applied accurately.

There simply is no contest when looking at a bull at 400 yds across a small drainage with a ten mph cross wind, and holding a 300 Wby with, say, a 200-gr AB, as opposed to a 30/06 or a 7 mm Rem mag or 270. Note! I didn't say it couldn't be done with the latter three or what have you, but give me the former every single time.

Yes, again, the caveat is, you had better have put in a couple hundred rounds down range at home and know your rifle and cartridge intimately beforehand and then be able to place your bullet,.. or just forget it.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
John B, don't disagree with your opinion of the 300. Just don't think you have to take everything to long-range to make the point.

Prefer the 7mm Wby to your 264. Only because it was first.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep

So the only disadvantages you see with the .300 WBY have to do with factors that have no relation in how it actually works on elk?

When evaluating the suitability of a cartridge for a particular task you cannot separate it from the available launch platforms or the cost, availability and variety of ammunition. When you ask “Is there anything better?”, As the OP did, you must also consider “better for whom?” To answer the question you must also consider the capabilities of the person for whom the question is being answered.

My hunting buddy announced that this year was the last he would be hunting elk. He is diabetic and simply can’t do it anymore. As a result of his diabetes he has already had surgery on one shoulder and needs it in the other. His range of motion is severely limited for both arms and he tires easily. He shoots a 7mm Rm but doesn’t shoot more than 2-3 times a year because a) his shoulders won’t take the wear and tear and b), ammo costs are a major concern. He had to save up for two years so he could afford to go on this year’s elk hunt. Even if he was to continue to hunt elk a .300 WBY, while a fine elk cartridge in its own right, would be a horrible choice for him.

Daughter #1 is fairly petite and is recoil sensitive. Although she is a pretty good shot, she has a strong preference for short rifles with moderate recoil. Like my hunting buddy, she shoots 2-3 times in a good year with 1-2 more common and ammo costs is a significant concern. Moreover her practice at ranges over 200 yards is very limited. A long, rifle with stiff recoil and expensive ammo would not be a good choice and certainly not “as good as it gets”. Together we decided that a .308 shooting a 130g TTSX @ 3045fps or a 150g BT @ 2745fps, both with less than 16 foot-pounds recoil, would be the best options for her elk hunt this year. Both loads would be more than adequate for elk at ranges where she would/should be shooting.

Son-in-law #1 is a big strong guy that tolerates recoil fairly well and shoots a .30-06 and a custom .300Win Mag that has been handed down from his grandfather. The first thing my daughter asked when she found out I was giving him a rifle as a wedding present was “Will he be able to afford to shoot it?” The answer, of course, was “yes” as I was giving him the aforementioned .30-06. Like my buddy and Daughter #1, he generally shoots 1-2 times a year. His longest shot to date has been on an elk at 382 yards and his .300WM had it on the ground before he recovered from the recoil. A .300 WBY could not have done any better, it just would have doubled his ammo costs.

For myself, I’ve used a 7mm RM, .30-06, .300WM and .338WM to take elk, the longest being at 487 yards with my .338. I handle the recoil fairly well but the older I get the more I appreciate light and light recoiling rifles. I handload so ammo costs are not a major concern but, being a practical person, I prefer the less expensive .300WM brass to .300WBY brass. For my purposes, would a .300WBY be a “better” choice than what I already use? No, it would just be a different and more expensive choice.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

When evaluating the suitability of a cartridge for a particular task you cannot separate it from the available launch platforms or the cost, availability and variety of ammunition. When you ask “Is there anything better?”, As the OP did, you must also consider “better for whom?” To answer the question you must also consider the capabilities of the person for whom the question is being answered.

My hunting buddy announced that this year was the last he would be hunting elk. He is diabetic and simply can’t do it anymore. As a result of his diabetes he has already had surgery on one shoulder and needs it in the other. His range of motion is severely limited for both arms and he tires easily. He shoots a 7mm Rm but doesn’t shoot more than 2-3 times a year because a) his shoulders won’t take the wear and tear and b), ammo costs are a major concern. He had to save up for two years so he could afford to go on this year’s elk hunt. Even if he was to continue to hunt elk a .300 WBY, while a fine elk cartridge in its own right, would be a horrible choice for him.

Daughter #1 is fairly petite and is recoil sensitive. Although she is a pretty good shot, she has a strong preference for short rifles with moderate recoil. Like my hunting buddy, she shoots 2-3 times in a good year with 1-2 more common and ammo costs is a significant concern. Moreover her practice at ranges over 200 yards is very limited. A long, rifle with stiff recoil and expensive ammo would not be a good choice and certainly not “as good as it gets”. Together we decided that a .308 shooting a 130g TTSX @ 3045fps or a 150g BT @ 2745fps, both with less than 16 foot-pounds recoil, would be the best options for her elk hunt this year. Both loads would be more than adequate for elk at ranges where she would/should be shooting.

Son-in-law #1 is a big strong guy that tolerates recoil fairly well and shoots a .30-06 and a custom .300Win Mag that has been handed down from his grandfather. The first thing my daughter asked when she found out I was giving him a rifle as a wedding present was “Will he be able to afford to shoot it?” The answer, of course, was “yes” as I was giving him the aforementioned .30-06. Like my buddy and Daughter #1, he generally shoots 1-2 times a year. His longest shot to date has been on an elk at 382 yards and his .300WM had it on the ground before he recovered from the recoil. A .300 WBY could not have done any better, it just would have doubled his ammo costs.

For myself, I’ve used a 7mm RM, .30-06, .300WM and .338WM to take elk, the longest being at 487 yards with my .338. I handle the recoil fairly well but the older I get the more I appreciate light and light recoiling rifles. I handload so ammo costs are not a major concern but, being a practical person, I prefer the less expensive .300WM brass to .300WBY brass. For my purposes, would a .300WBY be a “better” choice than what I already use? No, it would just be a different and more expensive choice.

So your answer to my question is yes?

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you think there is a place on a bull where the .300 Weatherby works and 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 264 Win Mag or even the .243 Win/105gr VLD bounces off?

Didn't you state that you only shoot if you can see ribs?

I can think of a few shots I'd take with a 300 WBY that I would not with a .243/105 VLD and they all involve angles where ribs couldn't be hit.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BH63
I think any of the 300 mags are great for elk, provided you use the right bullet and can shoot it accurately.

As to the OP, any thing the 300 Wbycan do, the 300 RUM can do better (ballistically).

BH63

I'd much rather have a 300 RUM and by a wide margin. I base this on actually owning, shooting and hunting with most of the 30 cal magnums from the 300 SAUM on up to the 300 RUM.
I'd rather a 300 win mag than a 300 Bee too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So your answer to my question is yes?

My answer to your question is a definite "NO."

That said, I think the .300 WBY is a great choice for elk - for some people, not all and probably less than most.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by BH63

BH63

I'd much rather have a 300 RUM and by a wide margin. I base this on actually owning, shooting and hunting with most of the 30 cal magnums from the 300 SAUM on up to the 300 RUM.

I'd rather a 300 win mag than a 300 Bee too.

Have to agree with you regarding WBY or RUM. If I was going to choose between the two I'd go for the RUM in a heartbeat.

Why? Because it can be downloaded to .30-06, .300WM or .300WBY performance levels or loaded up to normal RUM levels, which none of the others can match. Moreover it can match or even exceed the performance of those cartridges at significantly reduced pressures for longer barrel life.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Come on guys - your a spoiling the chance for the guy to sell his 300WBY at a great price....

Often when I see a thread where people are hooting up how good a chambering is, 2 or sometimes 3 people end up selling one soon after.

wink

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a Vanguard sub-MOA I'll part with, send me a PM.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Bighorn Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Come on guys - your a spoiling the chance for the guy to sell his 300WBY at a great price....

Often when I see a thread where people are hooting up how good a chambering is, 2 or sometimes 3 people end up selling one soon after.

wink

Mine is not for sale.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nor is mine.. With a couple varmint rifles, it would be all I every need...

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I picked mine up, an older Vanguard, from a guy who didn't like the recoil or the trigger for $260. A 5 minute install of a Timney and a bunch of IMR4350 behind a 180 grain TTSX really surprised me with the accuracy. The first shot at 100 yards was near the center of the target, the 2nd shot seemed to have missed the paper completely the 3rd was next to the first. When I picked it up the slightly larger first hole gave me a group you could cover with a quarter. That has been repeated several times since to put my trusty 7 mag on the bench for elk season..

Like most guys here I tell first time elk hunters the 30-06 with a good bullet is great elk medicine, the 168 TTSX is my first choice these days, For an inexperienced woman or smaller framed youngsters the 7-08 might be a good choice. But for the folks without medical conditions that aren't recoil sissies the 300's in general and the Weatherby in particular are really great for killing and anchoring elk, and they really shine for that cross canyon 450 yard shot.

If you want to spend the money on a RUM rifle, why stop there - go all the way to the 30-378 or get the Lazzeroni to optimize the caliber. A 300 Win mag might be cheaper to shoot but recoil is certainly similar depending on the stock and rifle weight. Personally for me the added performance of the Weatherby is nice to have and not much more money to shoot if you reload.

Page 12 of 70 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (16gage, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,175
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.