Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
As a professional photographer and workshop instructor, a couple of the most common questions I get are: What do you carry in your bag and why? I wanted to open my bag and tell you what is there and why I carry it. I am going to give you two different versions.
The first bag is the �lighter� of the two. Typically I carry 2 camera bodies. I carry the Nikon D-300s. I carry the Nikon bodies because I am used to their menus and I can navigate them easier. I also like the way they feel in my hands. The technologies between the major manufacturers are very close so I choose what is easiest for me to use. I carry 3 lenses in my light bag. I carry the Tamron 10-24mm, Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD, and the Tamron 200-500mm. I have discussed the advantages of the Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD before. I have long felt that the Tamron 10-24mm is one of the best landscape lenses manufactured. I spend a lot of time working on my composition and the use of leading lines. The Tamron 10-24mm lens gives me the ability to place something in the foreground and use it to lead the viewer the background. The Tamron 200-500mm is my �go to� wildlife lens. I find it incredibly sharp and lightweight, perfect when I am carrying my camera gear any distance from the car. I will cover the accessories I carry after I detail the �heavy� bag.
In the heavy bag, I carry 5 lenses. I carry the Tamron 10-24mm, the Tamron 17-50mm, the Tamron 70-300mm VC, the Tamron 90mm Macro, and the Tamron 200-500mm. I have discussed why I carry the Tamron 10-24mm and the Tamron 200-500mm but let�s talk about the other 3 lenses for a moment. I carry the Tamron 17-50mm for its speed and sharpness. It is an f2.8 aperture lens so I find when I am doing some work that will involve a faster shutter speed I like to carry that lens. As for the Tamron 70-300mm VC, I find the lens a great medium portrait/wildlife telephoto lens. It is extremely sharp and the VC allows me to work quickly and closely to my subject when I am not able to use a tripod. When I am doing general nature work, I carry the Tamron 90mm Macro lens because of the versatility of the lens. It is in the middle of the 3 macro lenses in length and I carry it for the ability to capture both flowers and some insects when they present themselves.
As for accessories in my bag, I carry a full range of Circular Polarizers for all of the lenses with the exception of the Tamron 200-500mm lens. I don�t carry one for it on most occasions because I am using it for wildlife and shutter speed is a factor most of the time. I carry UV or Haze filters for my wide angle lenses when I am photographing in areas that UV light and Haze are a factor in the scene. I carry a cable release for my camera because I am usually photographing in low light for most of my landscapes and camera movement can be a killer in a sharp landscape. Of course I carry a tripod. I carry a good solid Carbon Fiber tripod that extends without using the center column to my eye level. This keeps the camera sturdier. I also carry a bubble level that mounts on my camera hot shoe. I have a pet peeve and that is a level horizon line. I carry a WB lens cap to make sure I spend less time in the computer correcting WB. If you can only get one, get one that fits your largest size filter and it can be held in front of the other lenses. I can�t emphasize enough carry at least one extra battery and memory card. Nothing can be a bigger bummer then to get ready to capture the award winning image and your battery die or your memory card is full.
I hope this gives you a better idea what a professional carries with them as they work. It may also give you some ideas for gifts for your friends for the Holidays. I know if you call Joel or Doug at Camera Land, they will be more than happy to help you with your list!

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It's nice to see someone like yourself not uswing all high dollaqr Nikon lenses. Seem that everyone you talk to on photo sites think you need to spend a lot of money to get a good photo. Wish I could afford high dollar lenses, I can't.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks Don. I do a lot of research on the equipment I carry but usually by testing hands on. I am going to buy the sharpest lenses that I can because I do this for a living. I just love the fact that it tends to be a lens that I can afford and still have money to travel with! I tripped onto Tamron lenses about 20 something years ago and they have never let me down. You should check out Tamron's website and see if they are doing any programs in your area. When they do, they tend to have a lot of loaner lenses with them that you can put on your camera and try them out. This allows you to see the quality before you make a decision.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (35, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,091
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.