Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Rmart30 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Im just not satisfied with the trigger pull on my Remington 700. The pull is too heavy and has too much creep. I have seen a couple of threads on adjusting the factory triggers which seems pretty straight forward..
Do I try that or spend the $125 on a Timney that comes set from them in what pull weight I want between 2 and 4# and just drop it in ? Will the Timney be that much smoother/crisp than the factory unit?

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never tried the Timney, heard theyre pretty good, I just go for it and get a Jewell, very sweet trigger if you can afford it, I figure you cant not afford not to get it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is your 700 one of the newer models made since 2008 or an older model?

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's a Timney in the Ruger M77 mk II 25/06 I shoot, and it breaks SWEET. I would recommend it.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by lastround

Good question. The newer ("X-Pro") should probably be replaced if you're doing any kind of precision shooting. The older "good" unadulterated Mike Walker-designed ones can be adjusted to your liking. If you do go with the Timney (they are good for the $, but no better than a well-adjusted older one), you can always sell your older style easily.

Last edited by RowdyYates; 12/08/11.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If I was unhappy with the current trigger before I'd spend $30-$40 bucks having a gunsmith adjust it I would probably just go the new trigger route. On the older rifles like mine there is the whole faulty trigger design issue and while it is a minimal problem it evidently has some merit to it and the newer design ones don't seem to be very popular with a lot of folks so I would probably invest my labor costs into having the new timney installed and setup and b done with it. It will cost you $75-$100 more depending on the salvage price you get for the trigger you remove if you sell it, but you will be done with it and not wondering about your decision.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If this is the newer M700, I'd toss the factory unit and install the Timney.. There's just no comparison..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
At http://www.timneytriggers.com/ the M700 replacement trigger is shown along with installation guide. $129.95 wh/safety included. An option is to buy w/o safety lever and move those parts from the Rem trigger.

Timney says their safety blocks the trigger instead of the sear, which prevents trigger movement while on safe.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I own two Remington rifles and have Timney's on both.

It not only is a peace of mind thing regarding the dangerous Remington history of occasional unintended firings, but the Timney's feel better and are safe down to a very light pull. Even though they will hold the firing pin at a much lighter setting I have mine set at 2 3/4 lb.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
In their instructions Timney mentions short 'keeper' pins that get driven out of the trigger as the original pin from the rifle is pushed in during installation. They warn not to remove the keepers ahead of installation, and let them come out as the original pins are driven in. They do not mention, but saving those keeper pins might be useful, if the Timney trigger is to be removed for any reason. The idea is to drive the keepers back in as the rifle's pins are pushed out.

http://www.realguns.com/articles/307.htm shows the Remington trigger in good pictures. In this article the bolt stop is removed, because the rifle is being prepped for lapping. The bolt stop stays installed when just swapping triggers.

Last edited by Marlin1895; 12/08/11.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
If this is the newer M700, I'd toss the factory unit and install the Timney.. There's just no comparison..

Yes, but if the rifle is still under warranty keep the old trigger in case you have to send it in for repair, they'll keep the aftermarket trigger and charge you for a new remington trigger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I own two Remington rifles and have Timney's on both.

It not only is a peace of mind thing regarding the dangerous Remington history of occasional unintended firings, but the Timney's feel better and are safe down to a very light pull. Even though they will hold the firing pin at a much lighter setting I have mine set at 2 3/4 lb.

Unintended firing only because the customer was [bleep] with the adjustments and didnt know what they were doing, otherwise the old style is/was safe, heavy but safe.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gorskij
Originally Posted by Redneck

Yes, but if the rifle is still under warranty keep the old trigger in case you have to send it in for repair, they'll keep the aftermarket trigger and charge you for a new remington trigger.
Absolutely - and I appreciate the reminder.

I had a Ruger M77 in for a new Timney trigger and the installation instructions state to 'modify the safety'.. I NEVER do that, for the exact reason stated above - if the owner wants to trade rifles and wants to put the original parts back in, the safety would NOT work and the trigger can be depressed enough to allow firing.. Since most Ruger parts are 'restricted', it would then necessitate a trip to Ruger for repair..

I modify the trigger supplied by Timney to allow the Ruger parts to remain totally original..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There's nothing wrong with the old trigger. My gunsmith has adjusted thousands of them, and not one has failed. They need to adjusted in the right order. Mine is 2 1/2 lbs and crisp. As good as Timney triggers that i've owned.

If you have the new style trigger. Throw it away and get a Timney, but don't give up on the old one. All the problems you read about are user error.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
R
Rmart30 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by lastround

Its a older one. Id say I bought it new in 97 and it only has about 200 rds thru it.
One reason I wasnt too keen on adjusting or modifying the factory one was based on the TV show that was on last year or the year before and it discussed the 700 and its "accidental discharges"
So, that was also one reason I was thinking Timney instead of modifying/adjusting. Plus, timney will preset the pull so its a drop in and go.
Also debating if I want the trigger or spend that money on having the gun hard chromed first.

Here is a link talking about the show if anyone missed it back then.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...fferent-look-remington-model-700-trigger

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
have that '97 trigger worked over by a 'smith and I think you'll like it. I just picked a 700 up with the new Mark-X Pro trigger....it sucks and will be replaced.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
B
B
I like the Timney triggers a lot and have used them on several rifles with excellent results. They are usually very consistent. I don't think you would go wrong trying one out.

Mark

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HuntKY
have that '97 trigger worked over by a 'smith and I think you'll like it. I just picked a 700 up with the new Mark-X Pro trigger....it sucks and will be replaced.

Man do I agree with that, gave my X Mark trigger away, still got 2 old style left, i love my Jewells though, got my 708 & 308 adjusted to 19 & about 20ozs respectively(old style).

Remington trigger is very easy to adjust, turn the bottom front screw out 1 turn from the factory setting and its usually good right there, if you have some creep turn the rear screw in until the creep goes away but you cant go too far of course, you can turn it in til the pin drops then back it off 1/4 turn or so, cock it and do all the tests, drop test, slam bolt test, etc. Work with it til its right, easy as pie.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There lies the problem. One guy telling another who knows nothing to adjust the trigger. That's what the show id all about. Triggers not adjusted right, or too light.

Another problem is someone pulling the trigger with the safety on. When they realize the safety is on they push it off with out letting up pressure on the trigger. It goes off, and they swear they never touched the trigger.

Take it to a good gunsmith, and have it adjusted. I'll repeat.........my gunsmith has adjusted thousands of 700 triggers, and not one has failed. You're wasting money on a Timney.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rmart30
Im just not satisfied with the trigger pull on my Remington 700. The pull is too heavy and has too much creep. I have seen a couple of threads on adjusting the factory triggers which seems pretty straight forward..
Do I try that or spend the $125 on a Timney that comes set from them in what pull weight I want between 2 and 4# and just drop it in ? Will the Timney be that much smoother/crisp than the factory unit?

The factory triggers are fine (even the X-Marks) Don't try to adjust anything other than the weight unless you want to shoot your toe off.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (204guy, 264mag, 257heaven, 2five7, 117LBS, 2ndwind, 47 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,435
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.