Print Thread
Hop To
S
strut64 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Couldn't figure which forum was correct so I picked gunsmithing. I have Several questions. Let's start with bore lapping. I have a Remington barrel which seems rough and copper fouls readily. Shoots well, but gets mighty dirty. How do you lap the barrel bore? I got Remington bore cleaner several years ago. I have been using it and it seems to work OK, but is it more aggressive than J&B bore paste? Or is J&B more aggressive. Is J&B preferred and why? Why would How much or how long do you lap once you decide to do it? Can you wear out or damage the bore by lapping? I am a real novice on this topic so any real guidance here would be welcome.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once a barrel has been rifled, it's too late to truly lap. One can smooth it up a bit with JB, and indeed feel the difference as the work progresses. I've not used the Rem product.

1Minute
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Those Tubb fire lapping bullets will make it easier to clean. When you clean after each ten rounds you can feel the bore smoothing out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JB is diatamaceous earth in grease, Rem Clean is the same thing in oil. The both do the same thing. Diatamaceous earth is frangible and works as a polish with little effect on steel. You'll never lap with either but it will wear down and polish microscopic sharp edges and imperfections from the machining process when barrels are bored. Lapping is a totally different process using much more aggressive media.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
1Minute, most quality SS match barrels are lapped after rifling.
See Gary Schneider's add or Dan Lilja's web-site.

Last edited by DocEd; 12/09/11.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
IC B2

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
True lapping is best left to a pro as it's easy to wear the bore at either end. Match barrels are rifled, lapped, and then an inch or two cut from both ends- that should give an indication of the wear possible.

Put the gun in a vise or cradle and follow the directions on the JB jar and you'll do fine.

Jim

"If I'm already on my way down
I might as well just work the crowd"

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Rem clean is extremely agressive on barrels, more so than JB in my experience. Rem Clean will actually lap the lands into a rounded state...so be careful with either.

Try just brusing with Montana Extreme Copper Killer with the Montana Extreme plastic brush, I believe that your isssues will be resolved right there and then.

I instead of getting into the frustration of lapping, just clean with JB or Rem clean on a plastic brush about 10 strokes should be all that you need, and I suggest Montana Extreme plastic brushes.

Be on the look out for a new stainless rem take off barrel in the caliber you are shooting...they just screw on.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I think most lapping is done after reaming and before rifling. A final lap is done after the rifling process but it is not to remove material like it is when you are trying to get rid of tooling marks left by the reamer.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,663
Posts18,493,663
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.