Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I looking into making my own cedar arrows for something to do over the winter. Obviously starting from blank cedar shafts and would like to hear from those who make their own. Is it cost effective? what equipment will I need? who's the best source for equipment and components?

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

F
F
Mike, with The Nocking Point, will treat you right!! At the very least you'll need a tapering tool and fetching jig!! Then if you're going to dip and crest or make your own fletching, he has what you'll need!!! Building your own is alot of fun, and "Good Medicine" in the woods!!!

http://www.thenockingpoint.com/index.html

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like anything, you can go simple and inexpensive, or spend more money and buy all the best tools. I go the inexpensive route. You need a fletching jig. I have a single Bitzenberger jig but if I started over I would get a Jo Jan Multifletcher for about the same money (about $85) and do 6 shafts at a time instead of one. You can get a taper tool for about $8 that works like a small hand pencil sharpener and does both ends of the shaft. A dip tube for about $15 is nice but I made a lot of arrows just wiping on polyurethane varnish with a paint brush or even a paper towel. Polyurethane is a lot cheaper than the lacquers like Bohning Fletch-Lac. If you use polyurethane, then glue the fletchings with Duco cement (available at Wal-Mart). Bohning Fletch-Tight cement is perfect for gluing to Fletch-Lac but does not work well with polyurethane. I buy my shafts and fletching where I find them cheap, usually not retail. I have also fletched with feathers from turkeys I killed. I cut them with scissors and grind the base with a belt sander. I'm cheap, but I eat a lot of venison and have won a lot of tournament trophies with my arrows.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like Fletch Tight Platinum. I buy most of my supplies from 3Rivers. I have always got good service from them. I stain my shafts w MinWax and seal w poly. However, recently I was advised from a Very seasoned shooter not to seal. Just stain and shoot. The reason is because when you shoot into laminated targets the shaft will load up w target material. Not sure what Im going to do on that topic yet.....still thinking. I use a Tru-Center taper tool. It's about $30 bucks but I've had it for a few years and really like. I use a heat gun straighten the shafts. Put on a pair of gloves, heat the shaft till it almost drupes then roll it back and forth on a flat surface, like a counter top or workbench. I made my own Cresting machine using a variable speed drill, but it's not great. I really want the Spinrite Crester but it's $180 bucks......oh well. I use the Hot Melt sticks from 3Rivers to attach points. I have a basiclastic Fletcher I picked up years ago. It works fine but if was buying new today I also would go with JoJan either Mono or Multi. Check out 3riversarchery.com

Mark

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I got by really cheap. My oldest son is a serious arrow builder so when he bought his JoJann he gave me his single fletching tool. Works fine for my low production. I get most of my stuff from 3 Rivers. Stain with whatever is handy but I do dip them in gasket lacquer.

If you consider your time I don't belive it's really cost effective but it is a heck of a lot of fun. It's a lot like catching a fish on a fly you tied or taking a game animal with a cartridge you cast the bullet for and loaded. Just a bit more satisfaction.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, Anaconda, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,442 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,411
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.