Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#59107 04/03/02
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I just got back from a sheep hunt in the hill district of Southwest Texas. There were 22 hunters in all. I think there were 24 sheep taken/killed. My buddy killed a Rambo that measured 119 SCI. My Rambo was slightly smaller (horn size) but weighed 40lbs more - 340lbs. I was after a Texas Dall and although I did see several, none where quite large enough. I watched a group of Coursican (SP) for about 45 minutes and I even took several pictures before I decided to kill the one with a white diamond on it's forehead. Turns out it was a Mouflan, not a coursican. It was slightly more then 3/4 curl. I was told it was a 6 year old sheep.
<br>
<br>I killed the Rambo at 40 yards, off hand, double lung shot. The 130gr speer hot core left about a 3" diamter exit hole. The sheep dropped in it's tracks. I did stalk the animal for about 1/2 mile. It was walking in a creek bed (no water in the creek,,,,I wonder why they call em creeks, lol). I was following it from a cow path that was about 75 yards from the creek bed. There was a series of trees (I called it pucker brush) between me and the sheep. The 2 sheep never did stop. I did manage to get ahead of them where the path I was on was higher then the creek bed. I had one 4' wide opening to shoot from between the trees (pucker brush). Just as the 2 sheep where about to clear the opening 3 more came down off the far hillside. The lead one was bigger then the one I was after. I had about 5 seconds to decide on killing it. As soon as it came into the opening between the trees I placed the shot right behind it's right shoulder. It dropped instantly.
<br>
<br>The next morning I was placed in a 4' sq stand and saw nothing all morning. That afternoon I was placed in a different stand. About 2 hours after I was in the stand 3 sheep appeared out of the brush. The lead one was the largest but they were coursican/mouflan not Dall - which is what I was after. I watched them on and off for 45 minutes. This one Mouflan was real pretty and since it was getting later and I hadn't seen a Dall I decided to take the pretty mouflan. I placed the shot in the right shoulder and it exited the left shoulder - a 4" exit hole. At impact the sheep reared back and took off on it's hind legs - into the thick bush and prickly pear cactus. My intent was to anchor it since I knew not more then 40 yards to my right was a cliff several hundred feet straight down and I really didn't want to see this sheep go SPLAT at the bottom. I waited for about 30 min then walked over to where it went into the bush. I found it 30 yards from where I had shot it - 10 yards from the edge. I found out later it weighed 180lbs. It has this little white diamond on it's forehead and a little tuff of white between it's horns on the top of it's head. It's beard is about 12" long all the way down between it's front legs. I am having it shoulder mounted by Bill Yox Taxidermist out of Brockport, NY. I have seen Bill's work and decided to go with the best.
<br>
<br>For those of you that get the Safari Times there was a recent article about Thompson Temple (his actual name) ranch in the Hill District of Southwest Texas. That is were we were hunting. The terrain is extremely steep and challenging, to say the least. Fortunately they drive people up the hill, which is an adventure in and of itself.
<br>
<br>I can't wait to go back next year and hopefully kill a Texas Dall and a Coursican.
<br>
<br>A good time was had by all.
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
GB1

#59108 04/03/02
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nice story! I have wanted to hunt sheep, I consider it to be very challenging, climbing and all. Sounds like you will have a fine trophy and some good eating!
<br>
<br>What caliber rifle did you use?

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
#59109 04/04/02
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
blammer,
<br>
<br>I used my Rem 700, 7mm mag, 130gr speer hot core. Scope used was a Swarovski 2.5 to 10 X 42. I set the power at 3X and thats where it was when I killed both of the sheep.
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

#59110 04/04/02
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
very nice.
<br>
<br>Just curious, do you think a 25-06 would have been enough gun for the hunt you took?

#59111 04/04/02
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
What is a Texas Dall?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B2

#59112 04/04/02
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
kk alaska,
<br>Money, currency, sheckles, moola.

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
#59113 04/04/02
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
blammer,
<br>
<br>Most definately. One guy took his Dall at 300 yards with his 243 so the 25-06 would be more then enough rifle - with the right bullet. I used my 7mm mag because it is my carry gun and other then my 22 CHeetah MK 1 it is the smallest caliber I own. I did have my 300 win mag with me as well but never used it. I didn't realize till I got there that most of the shots were going to be so close. Next time I will leave the 300 win mag at home and take along my 12 Guage Browning Lightning for all the rabbits running around.
<br>
<br>See, us long range hunters can also kill them at 40 yards, [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

#59114 04/05/02
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
kk Texas Dall is the four bit name for some poor Mexican pastor's milk goat.
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
#59115 04/05/02
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always thought a Texas Doll had big hair and a sixer of long necks.pak

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
#59116 04/06/02
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
pak,
<br>
<br>The Texas Dall has a white coat, wavy hair from just below it's chin all the way down between it's front legs - about 3" long. The horns grow in a similar pattern as the Dall sheep located up north in Canada and Alaska. The Texas Dall is a smaller animal then the Dall of Alaska and Canada - but then it has to be.
<br>
<br>If you are interested in addition info you could always E-mail "Thompson Temple" (www.thompsontemple.com). I am sure he can tell you a lot more about the animal.
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

IC B3

#59117 04/06/02
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
blammer,
<br>
<br>I didn't take any of the meat home with me. The "Skinner" at the ranch took any and all meat that the hunters didn't take with them to the "Food Bank" in Uvalde, Texas. None of the meat went to waste. One of the other hunters in camp was going to take the meat from his animal home but when the "Skinner" said what he did with the meat the hunter said: If it is used to feed the homeless take mine to.
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

#59118 04/07/02
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Right O!
<br>
<br>I was just wondering what it tasted like and how you would fix it and how much you'd get?

#59119 04/10/02
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
blammer,
<br>
<br>As to what the meat tasted like - I have no idea. If a restuarant had Leg-of-lamb on sale for 2 cents a pound I would never order it as I don't care for the taste of it. When the skinner informed me of what was done with the meat I was glad to see it wouldn't go to waste. A buddy of mine did take the meat off his ram and the first one I killed. He has a buddy that lives not to far from him that really enjoys it.
<br>
<br>As we all know "lamb" is less then a year old and "sheep" are more then a year old.
<br>
<br>If I am fortunate enough to kill an elk this fall (in CO) then I most definately will take the meat. I don't know about others but I really like elk meat. Then there is deer, pheasant, chukar, quail,,,,,,,oops sorry for rambling [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (37L1, Anaconda, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 16,625 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,194
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.