Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The .270 sucks. I thought everyone knew that? wink

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMO, there is a big difference between between being the most efficient factory round (if it is) and the perfect hunting round. Perfect is very subjective and varies from area to area. Around here nothing makes me shake my head more than when I walk into Walmart and many other more knowledgeable gun dealers here and see most if not all of the rifles in .270 and .30-06. Some stores it's impossible to find a .22-250 or a .243.

Ya know how good a .270 is here in Iowa? It's a tomato stake. Anything above a 6mm, possibly a 6.5, in a state when 99.9% of the critters shot with centerfire rifles are coyote size or smaller is too. While Iowa is a pretty isolated and extreme case there are many areas where you'd be best served with something other than a .270. Like I said, very subjective.

It's also pretty hard to be perfect for all of the lower 48 when it doesn't have 7mm-08 on it's headstamp shocked grin

CB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I am mystified by the difficulty some folks have had killing animals with a 270 Winchester. I have had "zero" problems.I think the reason is that,almost from the start back in the 70's,I have fed 270's nothing but Partitions and Bitterroots.I have some recovered BBC's back here from 270's that killed game,that have broader frontal areas, and more retained weight,than 180 gr bullets fired into game from a 300 magnum....I don't give a flying rats ass about how good a bullet looks on a ballistic chart....I want to know results in an animal.I have noticed that if I use a bullet fully capable of reliably expanding,punching through a chest cavity and destroying vitals,and retaining enough weight to reliably break up bones on the offside,animals simply die.

All I know is I have never had these "mysterious" difficulties killing anything with a 270 at any distance or circumstance I have bumped into using these bullets.So I simply do not understand when a guy says a 270 sucks, but a 30/06 or 280 is hell on wheels.....I wonder if we hunt on the same planet for the same animals.

How do we reconcile this with notions of little does shrugging off hits from a 270?

Here's the dirty little secret to killing game with a 270....use good bullets, and put them in the right place.

[Linked Image]

I've never understood the issue myself. I killed my first deer with a 270 with factory ammo in 1984 and it dropped so fast I thought I missed. I've been sold on it since and put quite a few other deer in that great clover field in the sky. Out of the dozens I've shot with it, the only deer going more than a few steps were my fault on where I shot it...MY fault..not the cartridge or bullet. I always scratch my head when I hear of some who have had problems putting deer down with it...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DINK
I won't say the 270 sucks or that one will have difficulty killing with a 270. I will say that I have seen a noticeable difference in the way a 270 kills and how a 30 caliber gun kills game.

I have no reason to doubt your experience or RinB's but the 270 win just has never worked as well for me as 30 caliber guns.

Dink

Dink, sometimes schitt happens. I grew up on a farm where 4 of us hunt....3 mostly use 270s another a 308 Win. My brother with the 308 Win has had more deer run than the rest combined. He double lunged a buck at 60 yards once with 150 grn Ballistic Silvertips that left chunks of lung on the ground....and it still ran 100 yards. Sometimes they just run...I've been fortunate that I haven't on shots that I put where I needed to. YMMV.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by super T
Bob and others, my brother's (I have three) and I have killed almost every big game animal in North America with the .270, and yes the right bullet and good shooting is key. For example, three male grizzlies, dozens of bull elk, several bull moose, assorted black bears and literally 100's of deer and antelope have fallen to the boring .270. Two of the brothers are(were) had core sheep hunters, the younger has two grand slams.(the desert's were killed in Mexico some years ago) Bullet choice for me is simple, Nosler Partition and I let the rifle tell me if it wants a 130 or 150gr. To be clear, I am currently hunting with a 280AI because I'm a looney not because it is much better that the great .270

Wow! SuperT that is impressive, indeed! I guess people move on to other stuff because all that killing gets monotonous grin

Or, as Scott (Steelhead) points out,they have great imagination! smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by DINK
I have always had better luck with .30 caliber guns. If I shoot something and it does not die the way I think it should have you can almost bet the gun involved will be a 270 winchester (I seem to have good luck with the 270 WSM).
I can see it may be luck making a difference. Physically, I can't tell from looking at an exit wound if it was from a 270 or a 30-06.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I see "Partition" being mentioned time and time again, sounding monotonous, no doubt.

Maybe we're getting down to a common denominator with this game killing thing, even if it gets boring and doesn't stimulate one's imagination.

You reckon it boils down to the bullet, proper placement a given prerequisite...? wink

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
this thread makes me glad i've never owned a .270... smirk

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The difference in a .270 WIN, and a .280 REM, and a .308 WIN, in killing power is the difference of split frog-hairs on the scale of cartridge power; they are too close to make a meaningful difference.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by toad

it aint over till we win... cool

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Well,Toad.....I guess you can't have everything..... cool smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Unless of course one's running a 7 Mashburn Super... cool

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Now to the point. From the recent discussions on the .243 and 7mm Rem Mag having pressure swings causing the SAAMI max pressure limits on those two to be down from 65K, the .270 cranks along at 65K without issue. DF

Nothing against the .270 Win but I must have missed the whole .243 and 7mm pressure swing thing. shocked shocked

Am I going to have to quit using .243s and 7mm Rems? laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

good one, Bob! laffin here...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Am I going to have to quit using .243s and 7mm Rems? laugh laugh

John....I wouldn't if I was you.... grin

To all...a sorta funny story I'm sure John won't mind me sharing.He was good enough to join me for dinner in Casper and over drinks we naturally talked about hunting and rifles.

I commented off-handedly (knowing he used the 7 Mag alot)that guys like Les Bowman and Warren Page sorta had it nailed in the use of 7 mags as a good choice for LR elk hunting...

He immediately responded....(and I am paraphrasing here)..."So did O'Connor....anyone who thinks the 270 isn't a great open country elk cartridge is wrong..."

I was a bit taken by surprise and did not know how to respond....... shocked John is a good deal younger than me, and I expected, with his real LR experience, he would consider the 270 a bit anemic for the job.

But I guess not! grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/12/11.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most folks forget these verses from Genesis:

12 And on the 8th day, having rested from his labors, God called to Adam and spake unto him, �arise, therefore, and let�s go huntin��. And Adam cried out to the Lord, �Lord, while my wife which thou hast created for me doth love the gun which thou hast created for me, I have no rifle worthy of thee.�

13 And God spake, and said unto Adam, �damn, I knew I forgot something�. And God said, �Let there be Rifle�, and God called the rifle �.270�. And God saw that it was good.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still have a couple .270's in the safe. I must admit they don't get much use these days...probably because I have a couple .260's that will do anything my .270's can do and do it with 15 grains less powder, less muzzle blast, recoil and in a shorter, stiffer action.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
...and do it with 15 grains less powder, less muzzle blast, recoil and in a shorter, stiffer action.

Where's the fun in that...? shocked

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 270 is longer than your 260! whistle

I agree with Bob, stick with good bullets and shootem good. 130 gr. TTSX DRTed my last deer. I have that luck with the 270 but then again I don't have a lot of experience like some of you fellas. I do think Bob said it well though. Guess what I took along hunting yesterday. shocked

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1234, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 58 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,943
Posts18,519,107
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.