Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
blynyrd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
So a while back I posted some ?'s about my heirloom 1899C when I joined up and intro'd here.

Since then I've been lurking and reading old threads a great deal and have leaned a lot about these purdy old rifles from all (well most whistle) of you, thanks.

If you ever have a "Savage Fest Southeast(USA)Version" count me in and I'll drag my dad and his 23D and 775A with me.

So my qusetions re: the 1/2 and 1/2 bbl the C model was equipped with was asked by a friend when I was showing him the rifle the other night. (He flipped out when I told him it's 110 years old, original and functions perfectly grin )

Is the muzzle 1/2 of the barrel turned simply to save weight or simply aesthetics or a mish-mash of both. Weren't fully round barrels in regular use by then? Is there a reason from an engineering point of view, for example was the breech stronger having been left octagonal?

Pretty basic questions I know, but interesting to me anyway.

Thanks.

P.S. thanks for posting the pics of all that eye candy you gents sure have some purdy rifles.

-Brian-
Whatever you do, do well.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by blynyrd
So a while back I posted some ?'s about my heirloom 1899C when I joined up and intro'd here.

Since then I've been lurking and reading old threads a great deal and have leaned a lot about these purdy old rifles from all (well most whistle) of you, thanks.

If you ever have a "Savage Fest Southeast(USA)Version" count me in and I'll drag my dad and his 23D and 775A with me.

So my qusetions re: the 1/2 and 1/2 bbl the C model was equipped with was asked by a friend when I was showing him the rifle the other night. (He flipped out when I told him it's 110 years old, original and functions perfectly grin )

Is the muzzle 1/2 of the barrel turned simply to save weight or simply aesthetics or a mish-mash of both. Weren't fully round barrels in regular use by then? Is there a reason from an engineering point of view, for example was the breech stronger having been left octagonal?

Pretty basic questions I know, but interesting to me anyway.

Thanks.

P.S. thanks for posting the pics of all that eye candy you gents sure have some purdy rifles.

aesthetics,as there are full octagon barrels as well
norm

screwed that up ------scroll down

Last edited by norm99; 12/12/11.

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As our Canadian friend attempted to say.. grin

Aesthetics. Round, octagon and half octagon were all offered simultaneously from day one. Octagon and half octagons would cost a bit more.

B
blynyrd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
That's what I thought but I wasn't sure.

You've got to admit the 1/2 & 1/2 sure is pretty.

I think so any way.

My dad says his grandfather told him the rifle cost 2 dollars more because of the barrel.

Thanks

-Brian-
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, I'm VERY fond of half octagons myself.

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Yep, I'm VERY fond of half octagons myself.

[Linked Image]

I thought you were a "shooter" grade type of guy????? shocked Not so much! grin

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's gray and got's lots of dings. It's a shooter quality Leader. grin

B
blynyrd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Well correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there a few of you who think that they're all shooter grade? [cough]LBK[cough]

laugh

-Brian-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there a few of you who think that they're all shooter grade? [cough]LBK[cough]

laugh

Not ALL....................Just the ones I BUY.................I hope you don't have a problem with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said my K would hunt this year. And it did. Unfortunately it did NOT kill. It is already booked for another hunt next year. smile smile It was VERY cold up there and when I cleaned the cosmoline out of it, I did not get quite all of it. Hence, the rotor was rather stiff. I will clean it more and shoot it more over the summer. This is the ONLY time the "K" was uncased.

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hey LBK, why didn't you shoot that deer standing behind you in the shadows watching y'all take that pic?

Made you look! grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
two cents..worth only the copper still in 'em wink

what chance eight flats pulled at nostalgic...with a market in the era that well remembered eight flats on rifles of their youth?

Know first time I handled a PA longrifle as a mere kid, fell real hard for eights. Never got up smile Hunted last day here with a friend carrying his Grand-dad's Marlin 95 rifle with full length octagon barrel. Couldn't keep either my hands or my eyes off it. 38-55 to boot smile

Last edited by Flintnocker; 12/13/11.

"I hunt not to kill, but rather to have not played golf.."
-Orlando "Squawfish" de Gasket
Chainsaw Artist/Philosopher
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Hey LBK, why didn't you shoot that deer standing behind you in the shadows watching y'all take that pic?

Made you look! grin

AHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah you DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh laugh laugh laugh

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

B
blynyrd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

laugh

Not ALL....................Just the ones I BUY.................I hope you don't have a problem with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said my K would hunt this year. And it did. Unfortunately it did NOT kill. It is already booked for another hunt next year. smile smile It was VERY cold up there and when I cleaned the cosmoline out of it, I did not get quite all of it. Hence, the rotor was rather stiff. I will clean it more and shoot it more over the summer. This is the ONLY time the "K" was uncased.

[Linked Image]

I have no problem with it at all. In some twisted way I actually admire the fact that you do hunt these rifles.

They were built to shoot.

On that note my C model is an early version with the square ended bolt. I've read here that these recievers were prone to cracking at the rear corners. So I got to looking at mine and sure enough it has a very tiny crack on the LH rear corner of the reciever. frown

The crack is much much thinner than a human hair and less than 1/32" long. Is it time to retire this old gal or would youn's still feel ok using some light loads?

-Brian-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for your words. I bought a Parker GHE in 1983. I hunted pheasants with it till 2004 and sold it to the FIRST person to look at it for $6000.00. Just because you hunt with something doesn't MEAN you'll trash it. BTW, the purchase price in 83 was $350.00 PLUS a Marlin Goose gun. grin grin

Personally,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I wouldn't trust it. Not worth totally ruining it or worse yet hurting yourself of someone else. JMO........

B
blynyrd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Thanks for your words. I bought a Parker GHE in 1983. I hunted pheasants with it till 2004 and sold it to the FIRST person to look at it for $6000.00. Just because you hunt with something doesn't MEAN you'll trash it. BTW, the purchase price in 83 was $350.00 PLUS a Marlin Goose gun. grin grin

Personally,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I wouldn't trust it. Not worth totally ruining it or worse yet hurting yourself of someone else. JMO........

Yeah that's what I expected to hear. Dadburnit!!! I was really looking forward to letting this old gal get some more deer before I stash it away forever.

[Sigh] You can't have nothing!

Most I've done with it is put 5 rounds through it when my dad passed it down to me a few years ago. I guess it's good that I haven't been shooting it but I was really looking forward to hunting this rifle.

So now I guess as soon as I get some cash saved up I'll have to start looking for a shooter grade for me to use. And so it begins. whistle

-Brian-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Find a smith that can tig weld it and have him weld up the crack. Those early receivers weren't heat treated so it shouldn't be that big a deal.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Find a smith that can tig weld it and have him weld up the crack. Those early receivers weren't heat treated so it shouldn't be that big a deal.

not heat treated at all??? interesting...

Andrew
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AFAIK, which only means what it implies, the first heat treated were the 250-3000 and later the .300. They were considerably higher pressure rounds than the early Savage and Winchester chamberings. I'd make damn sure that I had a GOOD smith working on it before I went forward with such a repair. A good smith should know better than I do what is and isn't good practice.

Remember, most 19th century rifles weren't heat treated. Color cased for hardness in some cases but not heat treated as we think of it today. In most cases the limiting factor in the early smokeless era was barrel wear caused by jacketed bullets rather than receiver strength. That was the reason that 1st year Win M1894s were only available in black powder chamberings and the 30-30 and 25-35 weren't introduced until 1895 once Win started using nickel steel barrels.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can remember Mark saying something about them just starting to be heat treated sometime after the 90,000 serial range, closer to 100,000 if I remember right.

Theres another guy we haven't seen around here in a very long time.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, he sent me a copy of the factory letter that he had explaining the what and wherefores but I'm too lazy to dig it out just now. I do remember that Savage would rebarrel your older chamberings to 250-3000 or .300 back in the '50s but they charged extra to heat treat the receivers. Hope he's still around. He's getting up there in years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (160user, 300_savage, 7887mm08, 44mc, 470Evans, 35, 12 invisible), 1,888 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,490
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.