Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I'm looking for some quality scope covers to use on my SWFA SS 3-9x42 that's on my hunting rig. I currently have Butler Creek flip up caps on it that just aren't working for me. I love the look, feel, and style of them. The problem is they don't last for me. I broke the eye piece one right before the season started and after much arguing with Bushnell, I got them to replace it. I didn't have the receipt so they didn't want to replace it.

Anyway, I've been hunting for about 2 weeks with them, and sure enough, the new eye piece one broke again. The hinge breaks apart from the cap part. Then last Saturday while climbing into a stand with the objective cover up, the cover bumped the rail on the stand, not hard I should mention, and sure enough it cracked too. I've got some older sets of these Butler Creek covers I love and they seem to hold up, but these recent ones are junk, and I don't want to replace them every 2 weeks.

Are there any better tougher options out there that will hold up? I hate to run it without scope covers. I've tried it, and I end up getting my lens super dirty and have even had branches and what not scratch them on other scopes in the past.

Last edited by slowr1der; 12/13/11.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
None is best.

Bikinis are a close second, you just pop em off and they fly away. If you lose them, not a big deal or you can tie em' to the barrel with a piece of paracord.

I have been cut so many times by Butler's red button or had them break in cold weather, you couldn't give me a set.

If you must have that style, the Weavers are good as the body is rubber and there is no red knob to bite you.

Another option is the neoprene scope covers that now come with Leupolds and are made by Scopecote. Easy on and off.

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bikinis.

Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I only use the BC objective cover, sit the rifle on its butt w/ black tape over the barrel, works perfectly for me.

Have also never had an animal spook at the sound of me opening the cap, they cant hear it for the rain, if its not raining, the cover is opened as soon as I enter the hunting area.

Gunner

Trump Won!
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Bikinis were pretty good, except for the part where they do not keep the rest of the scope clean, and most did not attach to the rifle itself to keep them from flying off.

ScopeShield neoprenes solve it all, and are used by MuleDeer here and many other of the major contributors to the campfire.

Your SS 3-9X42 is a 13.1 inch scope which is fit by the ScopeShield SS12. (A 12 inch stretchable cover)

Eyeball them at http://www.scopeshieldalaska.com, a sponsor of the 24hourcampfire.com

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I just pull the cover off and let it rest UNDER the scope and haven,t lost one yet.

Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
watching this one closely. I've come to the same conclusion this last season. The butler flip ups either open or break constantly. Total POS. I'm leaning towards a bikini with paracord tied to the rifle. But open to ideas.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by M_Gman
watching this one closely. I've come to the same conclusion this last season. The butler flip ups either open or break constantly. Total POS. I'm leaning towards a bikini with paracord tied to the rifle. But open to ideas.
I'll do better than an idea. Email me your shipping address and scope make and model and I will send you a ScopeShield my complements. Just let your fellow campfire members know what you think of it.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by IdahoElkHunter
Originally Posted by M_Gman
I'll do better than an idea. Email me your shipping address and scope make and model and I will send you a ScopeShield my complements. Just let your fellow campfire members know what you think of it.

Email sent. Thanks Terry. Will report back on what I think.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Rubber bikini style which i zip tie to the scope tube. Works great for me

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I suppose Scopeshield does it better and certainly easier but a bikini style home made from bicycle innertubes and replaced as needed works for me for practical hunting - maybe takes a real balloon tire bicycle tube to do for a moonscope.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by shortmagfan
Rubber bikini style which i zip tie to the scope tube. Works great for me

+1. Except I generally use electrical tape to secure it to the scope.

Absolutely reliable and waterproof.....

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Terry, how are the ScopeShields different from the neoprene cover that came with my Leupold? Do they just fall away when you take them off? Being able to move it from one scope to another depending on what I'm using would certainly be cheaper than a new set of Butler Creeks for each scope, as I do now.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow
Terry, how are the ScopeShields different from the neoprene cover that came with my Leupold? Do they just fall away when you take them off? Being able to move it from one scope to another depending on what I'm using would certainly be cheaper than a new set of Butler Creeks for each scope, as I do now.
Hi Condition Yellow! The Leupold Scopesmiths are beautifully made and fabulous for in-the-rack protection. They can be a little difficult to swiftly remove in the field however, but the big differences with ScopeShield involve the Patent Pending "keeper" loop on the ScopeShield, and its instant release feature. The pulltab on the rear means you just stretch 'er back, lift and let go. The ScopeShield slingshots off instantly, but the keeper loop retains it to the rifle forearm, completely out of line of sight. A Scopesmith of course must be stowed, pocketed or just thrown to the ground if in a hurry.

The first reaction of our customers is to slap their forheads when they see them and ask "dangit, why didn't I think of that?"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just ordered one. I'll let others know what I think once it arrives.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Cut a strip out of an inner tube. Ugly, but functional.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
This of course is what the inventor, Jon Stram, Prince of Wales Island Alaska, as well as most Alaskan hunters and outfitters at the time, had been using. Recognizing the deficiencies of innertubes, Jon began cutting up old waders. He then realized that the keeper loop would then eliminate the throwaway function, and further added the gloves-on pulltab for instant release...and ScopeShields were born. It's just a matter of whether one wants to engage the process in its old beginnings, innertubes, or at its current culmination, ScopeShields.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
IdahoElkHunter: I gave up on the Butler Creek scope covers for Big Game Hunting some years ago - they just do not remain closed when I need them closed - this is aggravating when Hunting in rain, snow, sleet, hail and in dust thrown up by ATV travel etc etc etc!
I still use them for the less critical/demanding Colony Varmint Hunting situations and while travelling around in luxury vehicles for lens protection.
I now use (went BACK to!) the old style Ka-Ramba scope lense covers with the elastic flip off/retaining system when bad weather and Big game are on the menu.
I would be very interested in trying one of the "Scope Shield" type scope covers with elastic retainer - first test would be to see how long they stay affixed (in position to protect the scope lenses from rain, snow, sleet and dust) while Hunting with Rifle slung over the shoulder.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have also noticed Butler Creeks seem to have gotten a lot easier to break the last few years. Maybe I'm just getting more clumsy!

Also, quick focus and flip ups aren't a great combo, for lots of reasons.

I'm curious about the Scopeshields.

How thick are they?

Are they a snug fit that doesn't slip or hang going in and out of a scabbard or guncase? I've got an overhead gun rack in my pickup that is a tight fit for a scoped rifle, but begs for a scope cover that I can get off quick and not lose in the process.

Are they completely waterproof?

How about durability - are they pretty tough?

I've got some Kahles 3-9x40's and a stable of Leupold 3.5-10x40's and 3-9x40's. Would the same cover fit both scopes?

Will the retention band rub off paint/scuff wood?

Have to admit, it looks handy and simple - and I'm thinking the digital gray would look OK on a stainless/synthetic rifle - especially a Montana or two.

Thanks for taking time to answer some questions, if you are able!

DJ

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by IdahoElkHunter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
This of course is what the inventor, Jon Stram, Prince of Wales Island Alaska, as well as most Alaskan hunters and outfitters at the time, had been using. Recognizing the deficiencies of innertubes, Jon began cutting up old waders. He then realized that the keeper loop would then eliminate the throwaway function, and further added the gloves-on pulltab for instant release...and ScopeShields were born. It's just a matter of whether one wants to engage the process in its old beginnings, innertubes, or at its current culmination, ScopeShields.

Please enlighten us on the deficiencies of innertubes. Also, I never realized that I had to throw the inner tube away every time I removed it. Pockets are a wonderful thing.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (06hunter59, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,624
Posts18,492,811
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.