Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
It's been 40 yrs. since I've carried concealed in "areas where it isn't legal to discharge a firearm." Here in/on the Left Coast as John Barsness describes Kalifornia, only the very privilaged and connected get to carry in the big cities. Which, far and away, this is where one would need a personal weapon simply because that is where the vast majority of the crimes are commited.
Now, since I live in "NRA Country" as one of the SO detectives called it, we have a Shall Carry Sheriff. Lots of us are getting them, thanks to him. I understand it's a slowly, but surely, growing idea even here.
I've got lots of feelings about it. For instance, some of my friends are very uncomfortable about this. So, for me, if I go to their home, out of respect for their feelings, the gun will not go with me.
I've decided to tell almost no one that I have a permit or that I carry. That and I'll make every effort to make sure no one sees it unless it needs to come out.
I have absolutely no desire to make any arrests. And I'm going to be very careful about helping those I don't know if there is a serious problem. Too many of those incidents are not what they seem.
Heck, even some of my family members might object to my carrying in their homes. That I'll have to discuss privately with them.
So, it's going to be a carefully done learning experience for me. Or maybe I should say a relearning experience. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 12/16/11.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aren't you retired LE? I assumed you were covered by LEOSA.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What I have in my pockets and under my clothes is nobody's business, and I do not make it a practice of anticipating whether they would like it or not and changing my course of conduct based upon their sensibilities.

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Ex LEO, but not retired from it.
As far as considering anybody else's feelings, if there was any kind of threat out there, that would take perference, of course. E

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Eremicus
It's been 40 yrs. since I've carried concealed in "areas where it isn't legal to discharge a firearm." Here in/on the Left Coast as John Barsness describes Kalifornia, only the very privilaged and connected get to carry in the big cities. Which, far and away, this is where one would need a personal weapon simply because that is where the vast majority of the crimes are commited.
Now, since I live in "NRA Country" as one of the SO detectives called it, we have a Shall Carry Sheriff. Lots of us are getting them, thanks to him. I understand it's a slowly, but surely, growing idea even here.
I've got lots of feelings about it. For instance, some of my friends are very uncomfortable about this. So, for me, if I go to their home, out of respect for their feelings, the gun will not go with me.
I've decided to tell almost no one that I have a permit or that I carry. That and I'll make every effort to make sure no one sees it unless it needs to come out.
I have absolutely no desire to make any arrests. And I'm going to be very careful about helping those I don't know if there is a serious problem. Too many of those incidents are not what they seem.
Heck, even some of my family members might object to my carrying in their homes. That I'll have to discuss privately with them.
So, it's going to be a carefully done learning experience for me. Or maybe I should say a relearning experience. E

Put it on in the morning with your wallet, watch, keys, conceal it and forget it. Don't give it another thought. Anyone who would object would do so out of mental illness, so just spare them the knowledge of what would upset them, but don't sacrifice your security to accommodate the mental illness of others.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
As far as considering anybody else's feelings, if there was any kind of threat out there, that would take perference, of course. E
You cannot make an appointment with the threats out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

OK. Did you know that, under the 2010 amendment of LEOSA, the definition of "retired" now says separated from service in good standing with an aggregate of 10 years' service or more, plus the other qualifiers. You don't have to actually be drawing retirement benefits.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 12/16/11.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks, Cheyenne, I was gonna post that, but you beat me to it.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Eremicus, I appreciate your good feelngs toward your friends who don't like CCW, but with all due respect I wouldn't defer to their flawed judgment/thinking.

If I carry a firearm for my defense, it's a very personal and private decision and no more a matter for discussion or opinion by others than is the color and style of my underwear. Other than my wife, no one knows if/when/where I'm carrying (or the color and style of my underwear, for that matter!). I would advise you to govern your carry style in the same manner.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I had some friends that were opposed to Concealed Carry.They are either not my friends anymore or I don't go to thier house.
Friends don't let friends go without carrying if legal to do so.
So what happens if you are visiting these freinds and on the way to them or when you are walking out to your vehicle, you find you need your handgun?

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/16/11.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Eremicus, I appreciate your good feelngs toward your friends who don't like CCW, but with all due respect I wouldn't defer to their flawed judgment/thinking.

If I carry a firearm for my defense, it's a very personal and private decision and no more a matter for discussion or opinion by others than is the color and style of my underwear. Other than my wife, no one knows if/when/where I'm carrying (or the color and style of my underwear, for that matter!). I would advise you to govern your carry style in the same manner.
Well said.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I had some friends that were opposed to Concealed Carry.They are either not my friends anymore or I don't go to thier house.
Friends don't let friends go without carrying if legal to do so.
So what happens if you are visiting these freinds and on the way to them or when you are walking out to your vehicle, you find you need your handgun?

Another question, are you going to defer to their wishes if you were to go to the mall with them? Or out to a show?
I agree with others, if your friends object to you carrying it's their problem besides which if they know you're carrying then you're not concealing well enough.

The original international turd
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E,

The sensitivity of those folks is good news. Reciprocity means they all have to dump pockets and purses on the table at your house to make sure they are not in possession of something you disapprove of. smirk

At my house, I don't care much what folks bring in. My only rules are that it doesn't smell bad and that they keep tabs on their own stuff. If some kid has a pot stash or an adult has a nasty prescription drug I don't need to know as long as they keep it secure. I do the same in their house.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I carry CONCEALED and that is how it stays wherever I am. What others don't know will not hurt them or me.

I had a time in the beginning getting this concept across to my bride, she was one of those "You are carrying a gun to CHURCH.". Finally got it across to her I was carrying, where we went did not enter into the equation. It finally lit the bulb though and all has been well since.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Terry, your bride is a wise woman. Mine is just as wise. She isn't a gun girl at all, but she knows the world is a nasty place and she's really glad to know that her husband is armed at (almost) all times. When we go out for our evening walk, she'll almost always check my "equipment" before we go out the door: i.e, leash, walking stick, flashlight, and gun.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Exactly. My wife isn't against CCW but not terribly in favor either. So it was 6 weeks AFTER I got a permit that she finally noticed that I was carrying! She didn't NEED to know and I didn't tell her. (I was just careful to get dressed when she wasn't in the room!!)

Friends get the same treatment - need to know only.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
What I have in my pockets and under my clothes is nobody's business, and I do not make it a practice of anticipating whether they would like it or not and changing my course of conduct based upon their sensibilities.

Me too, but I don't have that many friends.

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Good attitude. I carry and I never tell anyone - not even my wife. I'm not a cop and I feel no compulsion to get into the cop business - I won't arrest anyone. The only non-lethal way my gun comes out of the holster is to go back into the safe. I obey the law, so if it is posted "No Weapons" then I won't carry the gun onto that premises. I'm not a mall ninja with multiple magazines, folding knives, and BUG on my ankle, so it is pretty unlikely I'll ever "flash" anyone.

I've delt with really bad guys in the past and I don't believe for one second that showing them my gun is gonna dissuade them from their nefarious pathway. So if my gun comes out of the holster then they are going to get killed. But since that sort of event is incredibly unlikely to happen, I don't feel naked if I'm not carrying. Heck, most of the time I just carry a little 4oz pepper spray.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mine even carries herself if I am not going to be around, that includes her work as a visiting Hospice Nurse!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Mine won't carry, but she has her reasons, and they're good ones.

We live in a tidy little protected corner of a very rural county, so she don't really need to. But she knows how to shoot, and can if the occasion arises.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 1234, 52 invisible), 14,719 guests, and 1,539 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,059
Posts18,541,087
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.