Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Looking to build a custom rifle. I have a donor rem 700, but I really like an action that "locks the bolt" when the safety is on. It's just a personal preference.

I have been hunting with the NULA and really like the two position three function safety which locks the bolt but you can push down on the safety to work the bolt without putting the safety on fire.

I know ruger, winchester, savage all offer a 3 position safety.

How about the borden actions, stiller actions?

Any modifications for the remington 700?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shop around for a older M700.
There are a number of years where Rem kept the slot milled under the bolt but bobbed off the lever that sticks up into the slot.
You can buy the trigger parts from NULA to retrofit it to a bolt that has the slot.
Retrofit a Dave Gentry 3 position safe to a m700 or clone.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Take a look at Bighorn actions, you get a lot for your money......AJ is a great guy to talk to and deal with.

Depending on just how much u want to do to a factory 700 action, for a bit more you can step up into a custom action.
There are a # of good actions available.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Anybody know how the safety functions on the Borden's or Stiller actions? Does it lock the bolt handle?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
If your asking "when the safety is on the bolt won't lift" then no its not like that on the Stillers.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bat machine or surgeon, although my BAT does not lock the bolt, if my bolt comes open while carrying the thing I would think I would know it, but its never happened.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know how you feel. I'm left eyed and right shouldered. I carry slung over the right shoulder, putting the bolt right in the kidney, bouncing. It's easy to knock open for me. I've got Blaser, NULA, and Win 70 and they all solve the problem. Back to the question, my only other custom is on a Nesika Bay, and the bolt does NOT lock on safe.
Don

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
bat machine or surgeon, although my BAT does not lock the bolt, if my bolt comes open while carrying the thing I would think I would know it, but its never happened.

Sorry, what does BAT stand for?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bat machine company if you want the finest reminton 700 clone made, BAT is your action

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
BAT= Bruce A Thom, the owner

Failure's always an option
IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
bat machine company if you want the finest reminton 700 clone made, BAT is your action

I would say Borden and Defiance have earned a spot up there with BAT also!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It looks like Defiance might build Borden's actions, I know Glenn built them ages ago when he had Nesika Bay--back in the early stages of the "Borden Bumps". It might be something to consider as they allow for easy bolt operation and still give you tight tolerances when the bolt's closed. BAT holds many of his actions to really tight tolerances that might be a concern on a sporter.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I see no reason why Defiance cannot build an action to accomodate your request. They have great service and a great product.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Glenn and Bruce are both well regarded in the world of precision shooting, might just talk to each of them and get a better idea

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by herschel34
Anybody know how the safety functions on the Borden's or Stiller actions? Does it lock the bolt handle?

My Stiller Predator WILL open with the safety on.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might consider a Howa action with a Timney three position safety......aint a custom, but will shoot every bit as accurate if you are using hunting bullets.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by tucsonan
It looks like Defiance might build Borden's actions, I know Glenn built them ages ago when he had Nesika Bay--back in the early stages of the "Borden Bumps". It might be something to consider as they allow for easy bolt operation and still give you tight tolerances when the bolt's closed. BAT holds many of his actions to really tight tolerances that might be a concern on a sporter.

Jim Borden builds his own actions, Borden bumps were actually Jim's design used by Nesika bay!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tucsonan
BAT holds many of his actions to really tight tolerances that might be a concern on a sporter.

alot of people say that, I suppose if you want a tactical rifle that gets sand and dirt in the action, it might be too tight. I don't throw my guns in the dirt and for hunting purposes I see no problem with BAT's remington clones. they spiral flute the bolt which I think helps keep it clear of any gunk that can slow down the bolt.

if you want a bank vault for an action, bat machine is your answer.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
+1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Look at the new Shilen action, offers Remington footprint, accepts Remington type triggers, and has Savage style interchangeable barrels, and a floating bolt head. They offer complete rifles, barreled actions and actions. http://www.shilen.com/productsCompleteRifles.html

Otherwise, for 99% of big game and varmint hunting either a Savage Precision Target Action (they sell the actions only, in right bolt/right port, right bolt/left port, or dual port configurations will work fine, so will the Remington 700, XR100, and 40X actions. I haven't seen enough of an accuracy gain in custom actions other than in benchrest competition to justify the cost and replacement parts supply disadvantage. These are boutique manufacturers producing a limited number of pieces that come and go, while the Savage and Remington models are produced in hundreds of thousands and millions.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (450yukon, 375sunrise, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 23 invisible), 1,936 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,510
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.