Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
I completed my first elk hunt in Unit 12 Colorado, 3rd Rifle Season early last month. I was with experienced hunters that knew the land well. On the 4th day of the hunt, after the area cleared out of the weekend hunters, my friends put me on a small group of about a dozen elk. We were on foot. I glassed two bulls among the cows about about 600 plus yards. I had only a bull elk tag.

After a quick chat and figuring out the wind, my friend decided our best bet was not to stalk due to the fading light. He elected to circle the group on foot and let them wind him on purpose in an attempt to move them closer to me (nice hunting partner!) The elk were close to a private land boundary and we were afraid they were headed for that boundary line.

It was late in the day and light was fading fast. I stayed in the shadows on the edge of a high meadow. I could not believe how quickly he moved into position. I was glassing back and forth between the bulls and my buddy. I lost sight of my partner for about 10 minutes, and for a brief moment I thought I was seeing another hunter in blaze orange in the area of this group of elk but it was my partner who had covered very ground fast!

The plan worked, well partially. The elk herd basically split, most moving toward the private boundary to the west of me and a few moving towards me. I saw one of the bulls heading down hill towards me. I lost sight of the elk as they moved behind a small rise in the ground. I moved about 50 yards to my right where I thought the elk might emerge. I went to one knee and opened wide the scope. I couldn't see the opening on my knee where I thought they had the best change of being seen; nor could I rest on an old fence post that basically fell apart when I tried to rest my rifle on it. Before I could look for a 3rd option to help steady my shot, the elk emerged very close to where I had hoped. I had a 4 by 4 in my sight as it moved left to right behind some small trees. He looked big in my rifle scope as I estimated the shot at 275 yards. He made it to an opening in the trees still on the move, for about a 25 yard break in the tree line. I DID NOT SHOOT,and it was extremely hard to resist pulling the trigger!!! Here's why: 1.The light was very low, 2. the elk was on the move, and, 3. I was free-hand standing position. On the other hand; I had the bull in my sights with cross-hairs on him broadside..but the scope was bounding a bit.

Did I do the right thing?

I went to the same spot the next day and put the range finder on it. It was 240 years.

This is haunting me...I need to get some sleep!

I have two dreams about the encounter. Once I shot and the elk feel in his track as I shoot him in the neck. The second dream (nightmare) I shot and found a blood trail, but couldn't find the elk.

To make it worse, sitting in the Hayden airport hearing other hunters talk, it was painfully obviously most of those hunters would have pulled to trigger.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What would be worse would be to have taken the shot and it was a bad hit and to lose the elk. think about that.
The best thing is to go with your gut instinct, and I think you did that at the time.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
240 years is a long shot!

Seriously, sounds like you had a great hunt. No tag punched, but you were in the mountains and in the elk. And that bull will be bigger next year when you put your scope on him.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That's still a long shot for me. My goal is to always get as close as possible.
It sounds like your biggest problem was hold the crosshairs steady? Do you use a sling to hold your shots steady. It's the only way I shoot, and it really helps.

Otherwise, you should have had some sticks. In your situation. I wouldn't have shot either.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You made the right choice.

I once passed a straight away shot on a 300" bull near Meeker because I did not trust my bullets (only factory ones my gun would shoot) shooting him up the Cheerio hole.

Now a days I would have premium bullets rolled by me and would take the shot....
That was 8yrs ago.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like you made the right choice.

If you're not comfortable taking the shot then by all means don't!

Offhand shooting is almost a lost art these days. A little practice will let you know in the future if you should pull the trigger.

A good rule of thumb that I use, is to never take a shot at a big game animal that I haven't made in practice.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Your buddy may still be looking for that elk had you took that shot. It is easy for those who weren't there to beat their chests and thunder on about how great a shot they are and what great hunters they are. You did the right thing. You passed the shot because you know that a 240 yard off hand shot at a moving animal is a very low percentage shot for 99% of the population. Elk can eat poor placed shots all day and make it to the next county without batting an eye. I know that and I'm no elk hunter simply because a whitetail or black bear will do the same. Had you taken that shot you would more likely than not be telling us a more sorrow tale of how you are disgusted with yourself for taking a foolish shot and how you are no longer welcome to hunt where you did. Good on you for passing on that shot and doing the RIGHT thing.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If at all possible take a knee, or shoot from sitting postion. Taking a knee with a quick sling might have worked for you. I agree with just about everyone else who commented. One of the things about being a good and responsible shot/hunter is knowing the shot you can make, and the ones you can't. Most of all being strong enough to walk away when you can't. You did good.

The shots I've made, I forget before I get home. Misses. Misses have kept me awake for 40 years, and I'm not talking the female kind. I can still see the ones I've missed, the easy its already in the game bag/trunk/freezer kind of shot, when I was a teen.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
240 yards offhand equals a miss. You made the right choice, IMHO.

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here... What was stopping you from dropping into a kneeling position?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Had the same experience last week when I passed on an archery shot on a huge Muley, I mean a monster, walking at 40 yds thru tall sage. Drew back and not 100 per cent comfortable on the shot so passed. a 40 yd shot on paper with a bow for me is a chip shot. However he was moving thru 4-5 ft sage. Too much chance for bad shot

You did the right thing

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bet next time you pack shooting sticks......

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Bet next time you pack shooting sticks......

I moved out west 6 years ago. Most of my hunting with rifle and shotgun had been limited to 100 yds in big woods type shots. I quickly learned first season out here chasing elk and deer to be prepared for 200 plus yd off hand shots or learn to use sticks, bi pods, hunting packs, trees for support.

I changed my shooting practice to mimic this and much more successful.

Good on you for passing. Can come out next year more prepared and experienced.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I can tell you if you had taken the shot and screwed it up,you remember those bad ones long past the good ones you make.
I pass up on two-three of those type of shots every year. If it isn't right, I don't shoot

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You done good although it hurts sometimes doing the right thing...Two years ago I ran across the biggest Bull I have ever had within shooting distance for what I was carrying and I had to pass carrying a 45-70 with 420 grain cast which would have punched through both shoulders and bone and the next two elk next to him and probably still exited.

I was wishing for a different caliber and Berger or Sierra's that day!!!

Owe well....

Jayco

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
You always miss 100% of the shots you never take! I would have shot, you had him in the crosshairs! Learn from this, get a pair of Stoney Point shooting sticks! Good Luck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd like to see how you shoot offhand at 240 yards.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
240 yards offhand equals a miss. You made the right choice, IMHO.

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here... What was stopping you from dropping into a kneeling position?
Or more likely a wound. An elk's a big target and it's hard to not hit something, fatal or not.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by NJelksmacker
You always miss 100% of the shots you never take! I would have shot, you had him in the crosshairs! Learn from this, get a pair of Stoney Point shooting sticks! Good Luck.

I don't think the shot was in the crosshairs, or he would have taken the shot. When the crosshairs is waving all over the elk. It's not in the crosshairs.

You would have shot anyway, and hoped for the best?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There are very few competitive shooters that can reliably make 275 offhand shots at moving targets (or stationary ones for that matter. On the internet, esp. here at 24hr, there are lots of guys that easily "make that shot".

You did the right thing. No question about it.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
watched my nephew , first year hunter , pass a shot on a walking whitetail. I asked him why he didnt shoot and he said he had a branch in the way , I told him he did the right thing that was a whitetail , an elk can go a long way with two good lungs and three legs...you did the right thing , 240 yards unsupported is irresponsible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,526
Posts18,509,760
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.