Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Q
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Q
One of these showed up at my local gun shop and I'd never seen it before. Finish and bore are good, and it cycles well. Did some research and while I don't have any specific need for it, threw some money on it and locked it into layaway.

Looks like it was used recently for actual hunting as its drilled and tapped with a scope on it, but that will come right off to get it back to its stock setup. Normal wear for a gun that's 80 years old and the action is as smooth as silk. It arrived with several other guns from someone's dad that passed away - man I hope my kids don't sell it when I die.

Looks a lot like this:
[Linked Image]

Anyone own one? I've got lots of modern guns, but this one will look great along side my grandfather's Model 12. Really excited to have something like this in the safe.

Last edited by quadzilla; 12/20/11.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great gun, built to last forever...even surviving some abuse. Been one around the Pennsy farm as long as I can remember. Good choice for teaching how to hunt in the woods.
I do not believe it has ever failed to function.
That rifle and a very beat up old mod 70 in 375HH sit in the gunrack, not used much lately, but with many great memories and stories to tell.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Its an example of what you can do with good machine work and some hand fitting. The receiver is smaller than the current remington pumps makes it a dream to carry. ..One of the best woods rifles ever built IMHO

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Q
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Q
Better views of what they look like here. This is similar condition to mine.

http://mertzantique.com/item.php?id=5380_0_2_0

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one back about 1977 when I was 22 years old, loved the rifle it shot like a dream. One evening I had nothing going on and decided to take it completly apart and clean and found $335.00 rolled up in the hole in the stock under the recoil pad.( 1950 series bills)I had bought the rifle in 1977 at a pawn shop for $65.00, I don't think I have made money on a rifle since. Back to the topic,The model 14 and 141 Remingtons are a true American classic and will last forever if taken care of IMO.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Had one NIB a couple years ago but couldn't bring myself to shoot it. great feeling gun though.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NIB? What shape was the box in?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NICE grab. A really fine hunting rifle and great example of our gunmaking heritage here, as I see it. Lots of elk and moose and black bears have fallen to the 35 Remington Cartridge. Not to mention deer by the semi truck loads.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
the 14-141 pumps are a piece of Americana , the first successful pump rifle designed for modern high intencity (at that time 1912) cartridges . Though the cartridges were all propritary , they were successful , especially in the northeast ! The only cartridge they were chambered in that isn't obsolete is the .35 Rem. it's just too good to become obsolete . I have 2 141s , one cut down to 18' the other a stock 24" , both .35 Rem. of course . The 141s fit me better than the 14s , the grip on the 14 is too small for my hand and the LOP is a little short for me . They are a Tank of a gun !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'd carry it.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I hunted with a M141 in 35 Rem when I was a kid, back in
the 90s I saw a Remington M14 in 25 Rem for sale in a pawnshop,
it was beat to death, and I really wish I would have bought it,
only one I have ever seen.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Great grab! Great rifles!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great rifles! I grew up hunting with a group that included an older gentleman who's weapon of choice was a Remington 14 in .35 Remington. He said his father bought it new in the "teens" and it was still going strong in the 1970's. I waas always facinated by the rifle and as soon as I was able found and bought one of my own.....a 98% example from 1919.

You might want to check on that idea about someone "drill and tapping" the rifle you have. The Model 14 has a couple of factory drilled holes on it's top.....for the mounting of a reciever sight.

It is possible to attach a scope using those factory holes. You can only use two of the holes on a scope mount (three if you drill an extra hole in the base)......but I've seen such mounts work for years with no trouble on the light kicking .35 Remington.

Check before you "assume" someone has messed up your rifle....it might be factory holes after all.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
One of the members of our hunting camp now has two of them. One has been his since he was a kid, his first rifle, and the other came into the fold just before deer season. It had previously been his late uncle's rifle and he was one of the original members of the camp. He hunted this fall with the "new" .35, primarily because his eyes are getting old and his uncle's rifle had a Lyman peep sight on it, but just importantly because of the rifle's history. Both rifles are in original condition.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My father trod a lot of ground in northern Minnesota carrying one in .30 Remington equipped with a Lyman peep. I can't look at one without feeling a pang of nostalgia.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had one, wish I still had it. It was in .35 Remington. When I bough it it was a bit rough, so it went off to Micro Sight and was restored. This is one of those rifles I'd like to see reproduced, like the Savage 99.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
NIB? What shape was the box in?

the box was in ok shape, no tears and it was just a little faded. Made a nice profit on it!

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I love those vintage Remington rifles. Years ago, I stumbled upon a pristine Model 121 .22LR pump action rifle in a local gunshop and bought it. Later, I found a clean Model 141 chambered in 35 Remington. Both rifles hold honored places in my gun safe, and see use in the field too. Congrats on your Model 14. Thanks for sharing.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Father has a model 14 in 35remington. I love the gun and hope I get it in my hands when the time comes.

The local shop has 3 of them in stock. One 35, one 32, one 30 rem. and it's taken alot of will power to NOT buy one.

As a side note, the model 14 and 141 are designed to shoot POINTED bullets if you so desire. The spirel grooves in the tube cock the bullet tips slightly to keep them off the primer of the shell above. Just imagine you model 14 shooting SST bullets in the 30Rem or 225 gr Sierra gamekings in the 35. 250yd shots would be cake.

Last edited by dmsbandit; 12/21/11.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have one in a .30 Remington. Never shot it but I probably should. I should have a 'smith work it over. The peep is not tight, and it has been in my FIL's cabinet for an easy 40 years.

Last edited by tzone; 12/21/11.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (10ring1, 17CalFan, 160user, 1lessdog, 19rabbit52, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 3,116 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,312
Posts18,526,268
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.