Hop To
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BIGR
Originally Posted by 340Wby
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
What about that R8 Pro that comes in a case with the Zeiss scope and some other stuff (knife, flashlight) for about $3500? Is that a good deal?

That R8 package deal is a bargain.

I wonder if you can get the left hand version for that same price?

About $500 more I think confused

Taking my rifle for a walk
HR IC

A
A
I have a R8 professional in .30-06, and I really like it. I bought the kit that came with the pelican case and Zeiss scope. I recently added a barrel in 9.3x62 that I've taken to the range once. I tried and sold several hunting rifles before settling on this one. Everything is well fitted and the action is fast and smooth. One of the main reasons that I began looking at the R8 was to have something easy to check on the airplane without incurring additional baggage fees. As much time as I spend on airplanes, it has already saved me a lot of fees.

Last edited by almostfree; 12/20/11.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by almostfree
I have a R8 professional in .30-06, and I really like it. I bought the kit that came with the pelican case and Zeiss scope. I recently added a barrel in 9.3x62 that I've taken to the range once. I tried and sold several hunting rifles before settling on this one. Everything is well fitted and the action is fast and smooth. One of the main reasons that I began looking at the R8 was to have something easy to check on the airplane without incurring additional baggage fees. As much time as I spend on airplanes, it has already saved me a lot of fees.

That is a good 9.3 barrel you got.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blaser men? Hmmmmmm. I think I have one in the closet, but I can only wear it on business casual Fridays. Typically suits for me.

In other words....Hell no!

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't like the Blaser.

To me its the highest priced really homely rifle.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would not mind a K 95 with a Euro stock in 7x57 if someone gifted it to me.

grin

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I 'spose the strongest endorsement for the Blasers is that i have never heard of anyone who has gone Blaser and then changed to an alternative brand. There is no other rifle brand with that kind of loyalty.

The only real problem i have ever found in the design is that they are a little difficult to top-load in a hurry, or potentially clear a jam from. This is because the scope is positioned further forward (mounting directly to the barrel - which is inherently a good idea, especially in a switch barrel and as you can see from the image above, facilitates mounting on larger objectives lower to the bore). Hence the ocular bell sits directly above the magazine. If i wanted a rifle just for dangerous game hunting, the R93/R8 probably wouldn't be my first choice for this reason. However, as some folks have pointed out to me, a good option is to just go for a red-dot/reflex scope for dangerous game which resolves the magazine access issue.

Otherwise, it is hard to find a hunting application in which the Blaser is not just plain and simple better than anything else out there. Just sell everything else and get a Blaser - you won't look back.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
What I really find surprising, is how many guys I know, that have told me they thought the Blaser was ugly, or too expensive, ended up buying one anyway, after handling, and shooting one. And as noted above, they still have them.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Each of us admires different things. To those that like the Blaser its fine with me.

It's not likely that I will ever own one. The design and look of the rifle give me the shudders. I don't feel safe with one!

Is the bolt closed? Did it close?

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Count me in the camp that would love to have one......

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've owned a R93 for a fair amount of time (7 years), handful of barrels. They all shoot great, I use the 28 ga shotgun barrel often.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I Shoot and hunt with an R-93 off road timber. 7mm Remington Mag. Plenty accurate, very good trigger, no rust issues, All I had to do was zero it in, then check zero from time to time has not wandered off since I zeroed it in when I bought it in 2006. I still have two extra doe tags, will fill them this week. All in all its my favorite rifle, I sold a Dakota 76 to buy it. I can put it in my suit case and no one is the wiser that I am even traveling with a rife.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There was a Blaser for sale today at Cabelas. It had fancy engraving with an inlay.

The price was $7600. Make them an offer.

The rifle looks clumsy to me.

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I must admit i find it very amusing that someone who goes by the name of Savage 99 can have so many issues with the aesthetics of a rifle. And i would argue you can be no more sure your Savage 99 is really closed than you can be with the Blaser. Ultimately, if the bolt isn't fully closed, it won't fire. Most guys who have owned one for a while have had this experience when shooting very rapidly.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have had the R93 for years with three barrels and really liked it--very accurate and with a superb trigger. But, traded the works for this K95 in 30/06; it's proven to be just as accurate with just as fine a trigger.

The R8 really does intrigued me though too.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Each of us admires different things. To those that like the Blaser its fine with me.

It's not likely that I will ever own one. The design and look of the rifle give me the shudders. I don't feel safe with one!

Is the bolt closed? Did it close?

[Linked Image]

Yes, the bolt closed........or, it won't fire.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Someday I'll own a magnificent Blaser with a beautiful wood stock....until then I drool and wish.

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for" Will Rogers
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think CDNN has a couple of Blaser's on clearance.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I almost took the plunge on a Blaser until I saw three different episodes on TV, one of them sponsored by them, where the hunter had issues with jams on hurried shots. That and the removable combination trigger'magazine group, well just too radical for me. I'll stick with 70s Browning Safari Grades and doubles smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I almost took the plunge on a Blaser until I saw three different episodes on TV, one of them sponsored by them, where the hunter had issues with jams on hurried shots. That and the removable combination trigger'magazine group, well just too radical for me. I'll stick with 70s Browning Safari Grades and doubles smile

Jorge, as an aviator, with a lot of math fundamental to aviation, you should (and do) know that a stat of one, especially where there is no isolated element to pin the fault on--the magazine or the bolt or action as a whole-- but a least two including the skill or lack thereof of the operator, is meaningless. It is meaningless in regard to drawing a conclusion on the Blaser straight pull action. After all, I've seen guys jam all sorts of traditional bolt guns.

I've fired 5 30/06 rounds from the R93 in 3 seconds and that was not particularly fast, but, the measure was to stay on 20" target at 50 yds. The R93 was bored grin. And I've repeated it with other barrels and cartridges. Try that with a traditional bolt gun.

Much more imortantly, a blessed Christmas to you and yours.

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 1100mag, 22 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,266
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.