Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
kilmer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Does anyone have both of the above stocks to compare for me, or maybe post a side by side pic? I have an A3(non-edge) now and I like the ergos, but I'm looking ahead to another build and the Greybull stock has me intrigued. I'm mostly interested specifically in how they compare in the grip and the forend.

Please spare me the JB sucks posts and McMillan vs. B&C gack. I'm only interested in a comparison of the SHAPE of the two stocks. All other pros and cons are already known to me.

Thanks.

I hunt, therefore I am.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
also check out the a3 sporter mickey has. never seen a graybull stock in person but they look cool, I worry about how heavy they would be though.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kilmer the greybull is a great stock. IMO the vertical grip is very comfy and the forend isn't bulky at all. I wasn't sure I'd like it but after talking with john I ordered one and am glad I did. Also if you order and are unsatisfied for any reason you can ship it back for a full refund. Even if its been bedded.

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
I have both, and like the Greybull stock very much. For a Rem action, its the one I'd choose if I were flinging rounds way down yonder.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When you add Edge to the equation even John B would trade for the A3.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Kilmer: I am grappling with the same question. I have owned the A3 and have an A3-5. Just received a GB stock to play with. McM construction is superior. Rounded edges on the GB make it more field friendly, but a little less control in the grip area. Based on my experience with Edge compacts, the stiffness of the stock will yield more felt recoil. I'm still grappling the optics question. If I go with a 20 MOA rail and 50MM objective scope, I'll probably need a stock pack and ajdustable cheek rest to get my eye in proper alignment. I'm trying different combinations now. Obviously the Edge is more $$$ and will require bedding. GB may or may not.

Last edited by Grand; 12/22/11.
kilmer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
DW,

I have smallish hands, how does the wrist diameter on the Greybull stock compare to the A3? In the pictures it looks like it may be a bit thicker.

I can't warm up to the A3 sporter, I don't like the forend profile.

A3 Edge would save me .5 lbs over the Greybull, and that is a concern. I'm trying to keep it around 10 lbs.

Thanks for your replies.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kilmer

me too, I wish they made that stock with alot slimer forend, have it max out at a #6 barrel. maybe they should over a slim forend option.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
DW,

I have smallish hands, how does the wrist diameter on the Greybull stock compare to the A3? In the pictures it looks like it may be a bit thicker.

A3 Edge would save me .5 lbs over the Greybull, and that is a concern. I'm trying to keep it around 10 lbs.

Thanks for your replies.

I have no horse in this race but I believe all of John Burns rifles that use the Greybull stock are around the 10lb mark all made up. If you did a Faux Greybull Rifle you'd be around your weight. You might send John a PM if he doesn't respond here.

FWIW

Brett
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm making the same decision for a custom we have already started. I don't care for the A3 Sporter, and I believe the A3 is a little heavier than the GB. The other I am looking hard at is the Manners T2. According to their respective web sites, both the GB and Manners weigh 2.6 lbs. Manners is as good as it gets, and costs accordingly. It is wider in the fore end, and higher at the comb. My 'smith tells me both are great stocks. The GB carries nicer and the Manners is higher quality and better for prone. I shoot a lot of prone at long range furrys, but then I'll take this rifle out elk hunting too. I have a GB being shipped to me to give it a test feel.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ran a t2 for a few years. When thomas first came up with the stock he sold a few of us some at a discounted price to see what we thought. For all intents and purposes its veryclose to the A5, minus the butthook. I liked mine well enough.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DW,

Thanks for your replies.

Kilmer,

The wrist on the Greybull stock is slightly slimmer than the A-3.

My personal rifle is at 10 1/4 lbs with a fluted #5.75 barrel (.825 at 26 inches) and our optic mounted. [Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

kilmer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks John. It looks like it will carry a little better than the A3, and better handle positions other than prone.

I appreciate the input.

I hunt, therefore I am.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 14,333 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,163
Posts18,542,924
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.