Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just came into one of these!

From what I have found out, only about 4000 were made, with production split into three series (two in New Haven CT and the last in New York). Wondering if anyone around the Campfire has any experience with these things.

[Linked Image]

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Very Nice! Slides can crack very easily, use standard velocity only! I think Wolff may have a main and recoil spring for these.
Regards,
Wiley

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't know anything of practical use about them, but seeing your picture makes me think that hammer bite would be an issue. Maybe that's why they weren't especially successful, compared to the Woodsman and High Standards.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Okay, any idea where the slide will crack? I didn't find any on mine but want to confirm it.

I think the problem was that Colt had a lot more marketing and street cred on their side with the Woodsman (Hi-Standard didn't start making pistols until 1932).

The other big problem is that they can't handle high-velocity ammo, which is probably what doomed the thing,

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Front of the slide, the cross piece has 90 deg angles to the sides of the slide that are stress risers. That's why you should replace the slide and main springs. Standard 22LR is a little harder to find, but it is usually more accurate/pleasant to shoot.
Regards,
Wiley

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do you need to put a sling on it and then stand on the sling to keep the muzzle down? smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Aah, cabin fever!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Okay, took a look, the cross-piece is intact. I did notice the machining is a bit rough on the inside, makes me wonder if that was common on all of them or just left rough towards the end.

Numrich/GPC has the mainspring (hammer spring) but I didn't see a recoil spring. Wolff didn't list them either.

So I guess I need to find someone who has actually pulled theirs apart and see if I can get some info on the spring. I'm kind of wondering if the Ruger .22 pistol springs could be repurposed here.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Slide spring: 3.00" LOA, 0.175" OD, 0.100" ID, 14 TPI and 0.025 gage. Replacing the FP spring, magazine spring and mainspring are also useful in retarding slide.
Regards,
Wiley

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Okay, how do you get the magazine apart! Looks like the bottom is held by pins and the top is bent over to hold the follower in place.

So, where would I get the full set of springs? Also, any chance you have some decent disassembly instructions?

This is some useful info, hope thats a common spring size.

IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...can't help you with the mechanics but I did own one of the ones made in NY a few years ago. The machining was beautiful. Gun shot well but I ended up selling it to a collector...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Do you by chance remember the SN? My theory is that I have one towards the end of production so they were a bit rougher in order to get them out of the door.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Mine is a Conn #1037 not sure about what series. Have not seen a breakdown but you might try:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=209916463

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm taking a haitus from it while I get my kitchen remodeled.

I found a nice replacement magazine on GB at a price point that was reasonable. This gave me a chance to take the old magazine apart for cleaning.

My advice? If you want take your Reising pistol mag apart--DON'T!
Seriously, do not do that, its an amazingly bad idea.

The NY magazine had a pinned floorplate that was not going anywhere, and getting the follower out of the top meant undoing the factory shaping job meant to hold the follower in. Oh, and the magazine spring is very thin and delicate.

It took me a while but I finally managed to re-shape the top of the magazine. Only a range trip will tell if I succeeded in overcoming my stupidity.

Once the kitchen is done, I'll start cleaning the pistol and taking pics.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm gonna Frankenstein this thread and bring it back from the dead.

One year later, I finally made it to the range.

This is actually a fun little pistol to shoot! The only time "its a bear" applied was removing the magazine. The GPC replacement worked flawlessly. The one I mangled would stovepipe the first round but after that it performed well. I saw a lot of flame when firing, which makes me think the spring might be a bit weak and isn't holding the breech block in place as long as it should.

Still, the trigger was pleasant, the sights were pleasant, and behaved rather well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,832
Posts18,477,994
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.