Hop To
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by leftycarbon

My dealer told me today it would only be 8 weeks crazy

I waited 6 months for mine!

Blaser just sell a whole lot of rifles and can't keep up with demand. One of the things the guys in the US don't understand is that they are a very big company and sell an awful lot of rifles, and growing very rapidly. While they are uncommon in the North America, they are the top sellers in Europe and very popular elsewhere in the world. And there are nearly as many shooters in Europe as there are in the US - though they tend to have one or two high quality rifles rather than many cheaper rifles. We are becoming more the same here - fewer, better rifles. The guys i know who own Blasers are just regular working folks. They used to own a few rifles with a total value of a few thousand dollars. They have instead made the decision now to own a single rifle worth a few thousand dollars - it is just that it is the best rifle for a few thousand dollars. On average, these guys have far less invested in their firearms than guys here. Average guys with fewer, better rifles. Ultimately, you can only carry one rifle at a time, can't you?

The Blaser tactical rifle is now our standard military sniper weapon for some years, and talking to the guys, without any problems. My rifle has been frozen and covered in snow quite a few times, without problems. In fact, it has an advantage in that it is effectively sealed when the bolt is closed. Most mauser-type actions would have had problems.

I really am not that convinced the Blaser is actually that complicated. I 'spose the bolt is, but the rest of the rifle is pretty simple really - no more complicated than a standard mauser action. It is just a radically different design, and a very good one. The best one on the market, currently. Made by the best people with the best materials and technology.

Everybody i know who has bought a Kimber has moved on to another rifle. In fact, i think i can now say that i know nobody who owns a Kimber or a Winchester any more. Quite a few will never change from their Sakos. Nobody i know who has bought a Blaser has ever changed rifle again, and a lot of them have had them for well past a decade. That says something, doesn't it.

Last edited by dhg; 12/22/11.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[/size][size:14pt][size:14pt][/size]
Originally Posted by dhg
Brad, you do realise your Kimber is still essentially a Mauser action, don't you? And you know where Paul Mauser came from don't you (in fact, did you realise Mauser and Blaser are the same company). You could also argue the mauser claw and ejector is unneccesarily complicated.

Give me a German anything over anything made in the USA - particularly rifles. In all honesty, folks in these parts really do make joke about "Made in USA" these days, just like folks used to make jokes about made in Japan. Everybody shoots european or japanese made rifles. Buy european or japanese, and you are buying quality assurance. Buy US and you are buying a marketing campaign and massive corporate bonus. This is the real reason the US is broke - it is your corporate culture. You have been making $hit for decades, and trading on your reputation. Nobody outside of the US wants to buy anything made in the US anymore. And bizzarely, in Australia or 'most anywhere alse in the world i can buy a Sako A7 for the price of a Winchester M70, or a Sako 85 for the cost of a Kimber - and there is just no comparison in quality. Even though the Finns pay their workers twice what you guys pay. And thats because half the cost didn't go on a marketing campaign.

Frankly and sadly, I have to agree that there are few, fine, high quality, mass produced products made in our country anymore including rifle. The reasons why would be whole other thread in itself and probably be devisive Conversely, German engineering is iconic for quality (Mercedes Benz, Audi, Merkel, etc., to name a few).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rem141r
ok, stupid question coming. how is blaser pronounced?

blazer
blosser
blasser

i've heard them all.

Not stupid at all; in fact I had to stop and wonder if all these years I was pronouncing it correctly. I'd say like your first spelling: "Blah-zer (or -zur).

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by rem141r
ok, stupid question coming. how is blaser pronounced?

blazer
blosser
blasser

i've heard them all.

Not stupid at all; in fact I had to stop and wonder if all these years I was pronouncing it correctly. I'd say like your first spelling: "Blah-zer (or -zur).

I always tell everyone to pronounce it like "Blauser"

There are no fleas on the 9.3s.
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am probably being a bit harsh. But i find the deterioration in the US very saddening. I love America and Americans (and i want you folks to let me back in the country soon). However, the US needs to have a good look at the Germans if they want to sought out their manufacturing industry and economy more generally (and i don't mean joining the Euro!). The Germans have always "stuck to their guns" so to speak. They have always insisted on making the very best they can, even if it meant lower profits, higher prices and lower sales - because in the long run it was the only sustainable option. (And it probably contributed significantly to their losses in the wars - much of their weaponry was just too complicated to make fast enough to compete with American mass production). They new they couldn't be the cheapest or the biggest. They could, however, be the best.

It is interesting to consider that Germany was the world top manufacturer a hundred years ago. It was threatened by a nation that could make more for less - the US, at that time. Much as the US is threatened now by China. They never tried to compete with US mass production. Instead, they just stuck to their game and continued to make the very best and priced it accordingly. A hundred years later, they remain at the very top of the manufacturing tree. Unfortunately, corporate US has got itself dragged into competing with the Chinese - fighting a constant battle to cut prices, trading on reputation earned hard decades ago and spending more and more on marketing.

America need to learn quality not quantity, and word-of-mouth and reputation not marketing are the secret to its future success. And that isn't just limited to industrial production.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I agree mostly, but feel that there is a place for marketing, if it is done right, such as marketing as a form of customer education, on the merits of the products offered.
Quality needs to be improved for sure, but as long as we have the throw away mentality common in most consumers, things will change slowly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

All I know is the way I spell it above phonetically is the way I hear their dealers pronounce it.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Phonics always confuse me.

Last edited by corjack; 12/22/11.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
About the worst thing about a Blaser, is sometimes counting bullet holes is difficult.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Here is another one, probably the best three shot group I ever shot.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree. It is a matter of changing the entire American mindset. I am just constantly amazed by the amount of "stuff" Americans think they need. And most of it is just junk. Go to northern europe or Japan, and folks just own a heap less "stuff" and want a heap less "stuff". But what they own is very high quality. And that then allows their industry to continue to produce high quality goods, because they have the domestic demand for quality. It is the other half of the puzzle.

I am looking out on my street, and there are several German cars. The rest are Japanese or Australian. No US made or designed cars any more. Once, they would have all been US made or at least partly US made or designed. People are embarrassed now to own an American car now - their reputation has become so bad. To own an american car was once a status symbol. I never see American cars any more. They are cheap - often cheaper than the Japanese. But they just have such a poor reputation. Go to the gun club - everybody is shooting European and Finnish rifles. European optics. Leupold was the big brand here once. Even my kitchen is German. All the technology at work is German. Once it would have been American.

The American stuff is always cost competitive, often even the cheapest option. America is fundamentally not too expensive as these other country's labour costs are much higher. It is always quality and particularly quality assurance that is the problem. And if you are going to buy cheap, why wouldn't you just buy Chinese?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by corjack
Here is another one, probably the best three shot group I ever shot.

[Linked Image]

Stella groups there Corjack. My 7mm-08 R93 was like that. .2-3" with 3 factory 140's, but my 270Roy, 338WM & 7mmRM would only throw em 5 into about .8 of an inch grin

Nothing has every out shot(rifles I have owned) my 7mm-08 R93 but my old Nosler custom 48 in the same cal was close. The 30-06 NULA is great also!

Taking my rifle for a walk
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Well thats a pretty ignorant statement...but then it is TYPICAL of low life trailer trash. Lefty C

When you throw a rock at a pack of dogs the one you hit will holler.

Just because you have a lot of money doesn't mean you have the mental capacity to operate what you bought.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dhg
Brad, you do realise your Kimber is still essentially a Mauser action, don't you? And you know where Paul Mauser came from don't you (in fact, did you realise Mauser and Blaser are the same company). You could also argue the mauser claw and ejector is unneccesarily complicated.

Give me a German anything over anything made in the USA - particularly rifles. In all honesty, folks in these parts really do make joke about "Made in USA" these days, just like folks used to make jokes about made in Japan. Everybody shoots european or japanese made rifles. Buy european or japanese, and you are buying quality assurance. Buy US and you are buying a marketing campaign and massive corporate bonus. This is the real reason the US is broke - it is your corporate culture. You have been making $hit for decades, and trading on your reputation. Nobody outside of the US wants to buy anything made in the US anymore. And bizzarely, in Australia or 'most anywhere alse in the world i can buy a Sako A7 for the price of a Winchester M70, or a Sako 85 for the cost of a Kimber - and there is just no comparison in quality. Even though the Finns pay their workers twice what you guys pay. And thats because half the cost didn't go on a marketing campaign.

Are you for real? Seriously? Really? I'm not kidding. Really? You snobbish sack of $hit! Am I the only one? Anyway...I don't care what you can afford or what you hunt with but your bashing of the USA doesn't sit well with me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dhg
I agree. It is a matter of changing the entire American mindset. I am just constantly amazed by the amount of "stuff" Americans think they need. And most of it is just junk. Go to northern europe or Japan, and folks just own a heap less "stuff" and want a heap less "stuff". But what they own is very high quality. And that then allows their industry to continue to produce high quality goods, because they have the domestic demand for quality. It is the other half of the puzzle.

I am looking out on my street, and there are several German cars. The rest are Japanese or Australian. No US made or designed cars any more. Once, they would have all been US made or at least partly US made or designed. People are embarrassed now to own an American car now - their reputation has become so bad. To own an american car was once a status symbol. I never see American cars any more. They are cheap - often cheaper than the Japanese. But they just have such a poor reputation. Go to the gun club - everybody is shooting European and Finnish rifles. European optics. Leupold was the big brand here once. Even my kitchen is German. All the technology at work is German. Once it would have been American.

The American stuff is always cost competitive, often even the cheapest option. America is fundamentally not too expensive as these other country's labour costs are much higher. It is always quality and particularly quality assurance that is the problem. And if you are going to buy cheap, why wouldn't you just buy Chinese?

[bleep] retard!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
my local gunshop has had a few blasers for about a year! I fondled one a few times and wondered who the hell would pay that much for something that dam ugly imho! I dont care how they shoot! For that price i can get something tailored just the way i want and still come out money ahead!

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yea, I can't wait to buy my boy a new pos remmy produced by the quality guy soros. crazy

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I can't believe this. a year ago I googled articles trying o find info on the accuracy of blazers. I could find nothing of consequence until this info on the fire-1 mo after I bought a nosler custom. sob

Last edited by eyeball; 12/22/11.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I really have a hard time hunting with such an ugly rifle, but I force myself.
This is the one that shoots the one hole groups with great regularity.

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
as I said, SOBiatch. But, by the grace of God, I have some pretty guns. Dayom, I love your F'ing gun.

Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,290
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.