Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
During my time here I have mostly sat back and read, added my 2 cents, threw a barb and gotten in a good jab now and then. Ive also taken a few on the chin. SO Im not asking this qestion to stir the pot, or to zing anyone that owns a Browning.

Very few here tout the value of Browing bolt rifles. Is there some inherent accuracy problem? Are the actions difficult to work on? Are the materials of poor quality? Are replacement parts(barrles, stocks, triggers) not avalable? Do people have issues with the fact that they are made in Japan?

Ive handled them, and shot them in the past. I do like the 60 degree bolt throw, but Ive never warmed up to the angular reciever and bolt area. Im a lefty so they do have some apeal to me but I guess Im courious as to why they seem to lag well behind, Rem, Ruger, Savage, Winchester ect.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Medalion in .270 WSM and think it's a fine rifle

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I sure like my LH SS in 7-08.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No love? Mainly because John Moses shoots them....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've had several Browning rifles in the past and never had ANY issues with them. Mine were accurate and fed well without fail. I just think most of it comes down to personal preference and growing up with a certain name brand rifle in your hands so you run into those guys... like my long time friend (loves Remington's). I've had numerous brand names so I can't fall into that niche. LOL

My gunsmith said they are easy to work on so that can't be it.

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the A-Bolt enough, that i have three of them

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
made in Japan?

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by inland44
During my time here I have mostly sat back and read, added my 2 cents, threw a barb and gotten in a good jab now and then. Ive also taken a few on the chin. SO Im not asking this qestion to stir the pot, or to zing anyone that owns a Browning.

Very few here tout the value of Browing bolt rifles. Is there some inherent accuracy problem? Are the actions difficult to work on? Are the materials of poor quality? Are replacement parts(barrles, stocks, triggers) not avalable? Do people have issues with the fact that they are made in Japan?

Ive handled them, and shot them in the past. I do like the 60 degree bolt throw, but Ive never warmed up to the angular reciever and bolt area. Im a lefty so they do have some apeal to me but I guess Im courious as to why they seem to lag well behind, Rem, Ruger, Savage, Winchester ect.

I have owned a couple in the past and never had a problem. In fact the stainles stalker I had in 30-06 was INCREDIBLY accurate. I was too young to realize what a gem it was and sold it...

I think most guys who ACTUALLY use one like them.

The biggest complaints I've heard is the metal used in the receiver is "cheap pot metal".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
No love? Mainly because John Moses shoots them....

Yes and they have lozenge for a bolt knob.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My X Bolt 300 WM is the finest shooting bolt action I have ever owned. Fit and finish is as good or better than other brands I've owned or handled. When I pick up other rifles, it's the benchmark I use for comparison.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
SubMoa out of the box. No trigger adjustment, no glass bedding, no pillar bedding, no floating the barrel, no fiddling with pressure point on the barrel, no recrowning, no special bench rest shooting techniques, no sending back to the factory three or four times only to be told it is within specs. NO ROULETTE.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I first shot an A-Bolt the year they were first introduced, which I believe was 1985 or '86. It was so accuate and lightweight that I bought it for my wife, who wanted a for-sure elk rifle rather than the .257 Roberts she'd been using.

It shot almost everything well, and Eileen really liked the detachable magazine inside the floorplate. Due to some arthritis, she'd always had a hard time loading a conventional bolt rifle in the typical cold weather of a Montana November. With the A-Bolt she could load a magazine in the warmth of home, then put in the rifle when it was time to go hunting, even in the dark. She hunted with it for several years, never having a malfunction, and at one point shot 10 big game animals in a row with one shot each, including pronghorn, whitetails, mule deer, elk and moose.

Since then I've shot several A-Bolts and a couple of X-Bolts. All were very accurate and worked fine. They might not be quite as rugged as a 98 Mauser, but....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lost me when they left Belgium.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My 30-06 BBR has always been a consistent shooter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've owned Safaris, A-Bolts and X-Bolts,

While the A and X-Bolts don't compare workmanship wise with the Safaris (What does?) they are dependable rifles with above average fit and finish for massed produced guns.

The rifles on a whole are quite accurate. They aren't picky about different loads and will shoot most any factory fodder well.

The pot metal comment above doesn't refer to the action steel whistle , but is a knock on the metal they use for trigger guards.

I've never broken a trigger guard and have hunted with probably 20 different A/X Bolts over the years.

JM

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
I've never tried an a-bolt but my x-bolt is one of my favorite rifle.Its accurate,lightweight and it handle very well.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My newest bolt gun is a X-Bolt Stainless Hunter in 308 and I have no complaints at all. Three shots led to three deer in the freezer. (4th deer fell to my Kimber Montana in 257 Rob). I also have a couple of A-Bolt varmint rigs that I have no plans of ever selling or trading. They are all accurate and have features I like. I like the new x-bolt stock and magazine better than the a-bolt.

On the other hand I'm a looney and "love" all my rifles until the next gotta have comes along. smile

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You couldn't give me one.

Japcrap.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My next factory rifle will be an X-Bolt.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by SU35
You couldn't give me one.

Japcrap.

Do you feel the same way about a Weatherby Vanguard or Howa? Both made in Japan.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1minute, 63 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,707
Posts18,513,889
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.