Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

That's no wear Dear Sir but salt from the mountain where we hunted (old salt mines all around) no paint but metal treatment tough enough even for hard work, . These scope were abused and stand it. I'm no Swaro employee nor paid by them but i think they know a bit how to make a product of that price.

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, they're somehow magically different than previous EL's. Purely cosmetic, but it won't take long and they'll have that look all along the hinge.

Edited to add, how about wiping the salt off and snapping another picture?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

So why you want to have one to play around as you write above?
There other brand that are "plastic" coated, you will have no problem with. I have no problem with my EL even around the hinge and i'm hunting very often with, all terrains all seasons.
Wish you good choice, good hunt and a Merry Christmas.

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
All I said is that is one area Swarovski could improve on. Purely cosmetic, but who wants their $2k+ bino to look hell after a short while?

Again, how about another picture with the salt cleaned off?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Got this one, a bit far but... Show me your EL with paint scratched around the hinge. Call Swaro USA to see what they can do for you. Generally their custom service is rather good worldwide... Note that plastic cover also can be scratched and even destroyed when one don't care enough, not to speak of lenses! I already pointed some of their good and bad points but that's only my point of view not absolute truth for other people.They will soon be tested by US gunwriters so you'll get more infos.
I'll stop here to argue with you, buy one, find one to test (ask Cameraland),i'm not here to advertise Swaro or other makers nor to push them. I say just what it was and how it is, no more.

[Linked Image]

Other one under rain an sleet so not too"clean"

[Linked Image]

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Take a CURRENT picture with the salt wiped off. Is that really too much to ask? Slap it on your desk with this thread in the background. Should be interesting.

And I don't currently own a Swarovski EL, but have had enough of them in my hands over the years to know the durability of the paint along the hinge is their weak point.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

The binos tested were send back to Swarovski France last week after six weeks of use and abuse, can't take pictures today. I told you Sir i don't argue with you any more. Ain't nothing to proof or justify, just said truth (not obliged to believe in), but will return you the problem: post your pictures, then i could see what i can do for you. May be i could even call to Absam see if they can help. Nothing more to add. Have a good day.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
goodness sakes all GW pointed out was the hinge area is prone to being scratched. if you have followed GW over the years you will know he has owned just about everything in the optics business at one time or another. sometimes I wonder if he is an optics dealer, LOL.

I never thought about the hinge area scratching, but could easily see how it could be. the only people that has really written anything about these units was a guy in new zealand and this guy in france. I wonder why in the world no one from the US go their hands on these first, because that is where most of them will be sold anyways. as to the comment about not ranging in the store. they ranged just fine in the store for me. if you are used to the leica push to range, range on release seems faster.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 12/19/11.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by writing_frog

If you were using it less than 30m (33 yards) the EL Range don't mesure the distance. Hunted with them for more than a month and ranged game to more than 700m close to 800m (around 880yards).
Dom

Much experience beyond 1000 yds with them?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I fondled a pair of these yesterday at the same Sportsman's Warehouse Cummins did.

I was underwhelmed.

A few things stood out to me. The knobs on the bottom of the bino were bigger than I had expected them to be. One of the things I love about my 2 pair of ELs is how ergonomic they are. They just feel right. The EL range is quite a bit more bulky. It may be something I could get used to, but I didn't like the feel of them.

Ranging - 2 things. Like we've talked about before, the button on the wrong side is a killer. When I've got a bow in my left hand I want to quickly and accurately range something with my right hand. I learned to do this with my geovids, but it was never comfortable. The same can be said for these. It requires a regrip and an extra long reach to hit the button.

Also, why in the world did Swaro let these come out with the minimum range so high? I tried ranging a bunch of stuff in the store and most of it wouldn't register because of the closer distance. It's true that most of the time if something is under 30 yards I wouldn't need the rangefinder anyway, but I might. I also shoot archery tournaments where every yard is very important. Handicapping the EL range that way sucks.

Optics were great, as far as I could tell. Store conditions aren't good for testing that. The focus system on each barrel was interesting. It would take some getting used to.

I was anxiously awaiting swaro's rangefinding bino, and I was sure I was going to buy it. I don't think that's the case now, unless they come way down in price. I'm still looking for the perfect rf bino.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by dryflyelk
I fondled a pair of these yesterday

I was underwhelmed.

I was anxiously awaiting swaro's rangefinding bino, and I was sure I was going to buy it. I don't think that's the case now, unless they come way down in price. I'm still looking for the perfect rf bino.

If you were underwhelmed after you checked these out, and you are looking for something cheaper..........you might be pushing daisies before you find it.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
some days it seems like my leicas work great others it seems like no so much. I wanna be able to range a coyote to 1000 yards the first time everytime unless its raining, snowing or fog.

If you want to range a coyote at 1000 yds in the grass, this is what you want.

[Linked Image]

Vectronix Terrapin. They will range reflective objects to 3km +, soft targets to half that.

They are just under $2 grand.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Or a G7 BR2. Just got it yesterday and have not played with it a lot but it did range a barn at 2025 yards today. I was impressed to say the least. I know that's a big Target BUT my Leica Geovids wouldn't even come close to doing that. I think the G7 is going to be a hit. Especially with the ballistic software. It calculates all variables and tells you the line of sight range and the a calculated shoot to range. It's really impressive so far.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am really hoping the el range's rangefinder packs a serious punch. if anyone wants to let me try some on monday I will write up a detailed report, LOL. there isn't a whole lot more challenging than ranging coyotes at and beyond 1000 yards and monday I should be doing lots of it.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Nice but they put the rangefinder button on the wrong side for a RH bowhunter..

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by joelbiltz
Or a G7 BR2. Just got it yesterday and have not played with it a lot but it did range a barn at 2025 yards today. I was impressed to say the least. I know that's a big Target BUT my Leica Geovids wouldn't even come close to doing that. I think the G7 is going to be a hit. Especially with the ballistic software. It calculates all variables and tells you the line of sight range and the a calculated shoot to range. It's really impressive so far.

For just a little more money, you get a Swiss built rangefinder that can range reflective targets to more than 4000 meters according to several who have been testing them. You can range about anything to 2000 meters. I promise that the G7 can't do this.

NRA Benefactor Member

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
No your right. I'm not going to argue with that, but in all honesty do you really need to range that far? And dose it have the onboard ballistic calculator? This is a real plus if you shoot long range and hunt at different elevations and tempatures. It sure beats punching the numbers into a ballistic calculator. Saves a lot of valuable time that you sometimes don't have. It will shoot your range out in a MOA reading or a BDC reading so just dial to the corrected amount and pull the trigger. NO OTHER RANGEFINDER CAN EVEN COME CLOSE TO THIS FEATURE.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
No rangefinder has all the data you need. It would have to be an altimeter, thermometer, inclinometer, compass and store data for all the bullet/velocity combinations you might need. It might be a great shortcut, that much I will give you.

I like the idea of being able to range 3kms to plan for long shots on located game. It blows to hike all the way to a vantage point only to discover that you are too far to make the shot and now have wasted the day getting there. It is also the reason we used powerful magnums instead of a 308 for all this long range hunting stuff; we want to mitigate any problems that crop up- winds, moving targets, uncertain ranges due to environmental issues.

Just my thoughts on it having run up against all of these concerns.

NRA Benefactor Member

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
But the G7 dose have angle compensation,a thermometer, a altimiter, can read barimetric pressure, and can store up to 5 ballistic profiles. You put all the data in yourself. That is every thing you said except a compass. Like I said I'm not here to argue with you. It's as close to perfect for long range shhoters that is out right now. Do some research on it. Len Bacus did a review over on long range hunting forums. Read his review and dosome research on it. Even call and talk to Aaron and or Mike at G7/Gunwerks. It is quite impresive. Like I said I'm not arguing with you but it is a great unit. Pm me if you wish or call me. 765 969 7479

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by joelbiltz
But the G7 dose have angle compensation,a thermometer, a altimiter, can read barimetric pressure, and can store up to 5 ballistic profiles. You put all the data in yourself. That is every thing you said except a compass. Like I said I'm not here to argue with you. It's as close to perfect for long range shhoters that is out right now. Do some research on it. Len Bacus did a review over on long range hunting forums. Read his review and dosome research on it. Even call and talk to Aaron and or Mike at G7/Gunwerks. It is quite impresive. Like I said I'm not arguing with you but it is a great unit. Pm me if you wish or call me. 765 969 7479

send me one to test. I will test it in the high deserts of wyoming and nevada on coyotes in fields and on stand at all manner of ranges. if its great or not I will know in a couple days of testing. It will need to out range my leica geovids for me to be impressed. if I could pull a range on an animal the first time everytime out to 1000 yards I would be pretty happy.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 7 invisible), 1,415 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,510
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.