-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Was talking to a guy the other day in Sportsmans Warehouse who was relating his results with his new 6.5-06. I have a 6.5-284 and have been giving him tips from my load development. In the course of our conversation he mentioned a buddy of his told him that a slower twist (i.e 1-10") was better to help reduce pressure so he could use a faster powder (he hasn't been getting the speeds he hoped). I just nodded politely and told him I had read that was part of the theory behind 'gain twist' barrels--to help 'ease' the bullet up to its rotational velocity. I also stated I had my 6.5 built with a 1-8" for shooting the 140s (and I was getting 3000 fps w/ the 140).

I understand the 'theory' of his buddy's statement but has anyone done scientific measurements of said theory? Do gain twist and/or slower twist barrels make a significant difference (pressure wise) all else being equal? I suspect not enough to notice and certainly not enough to justify a slower twist in something like a 6.5 where you would want stabilization for a 140 grainer.

Anyway, satisfy my curiosity if you would.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
that's exactly how the 6.8spc 2 chamber came about. they altered the throat/ leade slightly and went to a slower twist to ease pressure. they found that they needed both the slower twist and throat mods to make it a complete package for lowering pressure......or so I've been told by RKIs.

advntrjnky

ETA: try pushing your car on a flat driveway with the wheels straight, turned slightly, and finally turned to full lock and see which is easier.

Last edited by advntrjnky; 12/24/11.

8mm-06 = perfection
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting.

I've always wondered whether 308 Win's with a 1-12" twist (all else equal) are "faster" than the 1-10" twist... or does a 1-12" just require a bit more powder to match the velocity of the 1-10"?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've no doubt there is a difference but wonder just how great it is. As Brad asked, is it enough to make a 1-12 .308 (for example) statistically on average faster than a 1-10 and by how much? I'm thinking it wouldn't be enough to notice past each barrels indivuality. BUT, I don't know--that's why i'm asking. smile

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
for most people i don't think it would ever make a difference, but for those guys who run right on the edge it does. for example: 1000yd palma guys trying to get the most velocity out of the .308 and 28" barrels or a cartridge like the 6.8spc that you need to get max performance out of tightly constrained parameters like in an ar15. For most people if you need more power/ velocity in a .308 sized action you can just go up to a .300RCM or .300WSM.

advntrjnky

8mm-06 = perfection
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by advntrjnky
for most people i don't think it would ever make a difference, but for those guys who run right on the edge it does. for example: 1000yd palma guys trying to get the most velocity out of the .308 and 28" barrels or a cartridge like the 6.8spc that you need to get max performance out of tightly constrained parameters like in an ar15. For most people if you need more power/ velocity in a .308 sized action you can just go up to a .300RCM or .300WSM.

advntrjnky

None of that really is the point of the question...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Twist rate influence on pressure is probably too minimal to step outside statistical background clutter and it is probably impossible to prove overall advantage one way or the other. It takes precious little energy to spin up a bullet.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Twist rate influence on pressure is probably too minimal to step outside statistical background clutter and it is probably impossible to prove overall advantage one way or the other. It takes precious little energy to spin up a bullet.

Spot on. I have seen pressure test in the 223 with the same ammo from 7 twist to 14 twist and the difference in pressure is meaningless

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (257 roberts, 257Bob, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 160user, 21, 48 invisible), 2,651 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,357
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.