Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
made in Japan?

Gun made in Japan are better than most turned out in the US

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only one I ever owned had a "wondering zero." The 1st cold bore shot could go anywhere, the rest of the magazine usually grouped pretty well. I had no confidence in the rifle so I sold it and moved on.

Mine was a white gold medallion model in 7Mag. It was stainless with a super shiny claro walnut stock and had laser cut engraving with gold paint in the cuts. It was a real pimp rifle cool

I liked the rifle but I never had any confidence in it. That said, I don't think mine was representitive of A-bolts as a whole.

[Linked Image]

Terry

Last edited by TC1; 12/24/11.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Originally Posted by 338rcm
Originally Posted by dogzapper

[Linked Image]

Here's just a little-bitty buck I killed with a Browning.

Hell of a rifle.

Steve

Steve is that a BBR?

Yep, a BBR and I shot it a LOT. It was in .30-'06, of course, and the rifle is still killing big critters for the kid I gave it to.

Karen and I could have no children of our own, so I've been "passing it forward, in many, many ways, for lots of years." The kids are the future of our sport and of our world ... it doesn't just end with us.

By the way, when I was a writer for the gunfunnys, I went on several prairie dog hunts sponsored by Browning/Winchester Ammo. I remember one little "Medallion" grade .223 that was way beyond spooky-accurate.

Most manufacturers would shove a non-zeroed POS in your hand and expect a positive article. NOT BROWNING, their rifles came zeroed and perfect in every way.

Anyway, we were on the Hougen Ranck East Pasture and I was shooting the little Medallion .223. I'm not sure I've ever fired as accurate a rifle, custom or not. With 40-grain Winchester Supreme (black box) ammo, I killed some dogs that were literally impossible. I kept stretchng out and out and out and the rifle/ammo kept hanging with me.

I won't reveal what a half-dozen dogs I killed lasered, but it was a far piece and I'm not sure if I could have even hit the mound itself with my .25-'06.

Naw, Brownings are shooters and fabulous commercial rifles, in my opinion.

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve. I had a 30-06 BBR like yours, wish I still had it! It was a fine rifle. Never owned a A-bolt but I do see an X-bolt purchase in the near future!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I have no doggie in this fight, but will just say that several of my buds have hunted a ton load with their A-bolts and when I mention issues they just kind of chuckle and go back to showing me pics of their grand slams and such.

I no that they're accurate rigs and my friends have had no problems. But, obviously others have had issues.

Dober

Mark, do you know of any rifle maker that hasnt had ANY issues?? Just Sayin

Last edited by 338rcm; 12/24/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope, some sure have more than others but they all have the opportunity to turn out a lemon. What I look for is trends not annomaly's (spl?)

Make sense?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Nope, some sure have more than others but they all have the opportunity to turn out a lemon. What I look for is trends not annomaly's (spl?)

Make sense?

Dober

The lemon thing is what I was getting to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thought so and Merry Christmas to ya

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same to you and yours

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
3 years ago I decided I needed "wanted" a new rifle. I had decided that the upper limit in price was going to be a grand. I looked at a lot of stuff. Sako a7, tikka, winnies, didn't want a 700 and still don't really know why. Among others. The first time the salesman handed me the Browning x-bolt I looked at and felt like it was way to modern a design for me. "here ya go, you can put this one back" I said. As a few weeks passed I thought you know if I am going to dish out alot of coin I owe it to myself and the manufactures to really look good at all of them. In the end a new Browning x-bolt stainless stalker in 7-08 came home with me. What a great rifle it has been! I think about 6 whitetails to it's credit now and very accurate. 5 not 3 Federal loaded BT's into an inch. Yea I know but I like BT's. Not one problem with the gun and the fit and finish is great. Last year after the season I removed the action from the stock for a good end of the season cleaning and put it back together tightening down the action screws with a wheeler FAT wrench to spec. So before season this year and checking preseason accuracy guess what? Point of impact didn't move at all @ 100 yards. I'd say that the tolerances on this rifle are about dead on too. So no complaints here. Still a little to modern looking for my taste though. LOL

A man's got to know his limitations!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm fond of Brownings made in Belgium, not so fond of the Japanese editions. Can't hardly hit a bird with an A5, but it's not the guns fault. They just don't fit me fer poop.

I'd pick up any number of Brownings guns if they returned to US or Belgium production at the same level of quality.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No, RIGHT.

The claim was made, "sadly, "made in america" most often actually means "assembled in america"

The burden is on you to provide a claim for the above.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Not only have I seen a Browning failure first hand but have heard first hand of more than a few accounts of failures in Alaska.

From our own Sitka Deer.
I have described them repeatedly and many over time as they occurred. With all the extra parts in the trigger guts, particular the longitudinal pin a little corrosion and things stop working. I have personally looked at five (5) A-Bolts so frozen.

I have not seen five 700, 77, 70 and 7 models combined fail in the field. That is not all of the A-Bolts I have seen fail.

I will have to dig for some pictures, but I have posted them in the past here.
art

From JJHack
"Having had plenty of clients over the years with all sorts of rifles, I have come to the conclusion that the Browning stainless A bolt was the rifle that gave people the most trouble I have seen of any single brand.

I hate to be negative or bash anything like this. I know there must be people who have had great results with the A bolt rifle. I just don't know any of them. I think there are certainly much better more dependable rifles available. I have never seen a single failure with a Ruger or a Winchester rifle. Nothing broken, never a fail to fire or fail to extract/ eject. I have seen odd things come up here and there with just about every other brand. Many of which were do to lack of care by the owner.

The Poor Browning has had to many probelms for people I have hunted with for me to ever own or recommend one. I am also certain you will hear it is the best rifle ever made by others on this forum. I'm relating my personal first hand experience with them just as others will give you theirs. You be the judge after reading the posts.jj"

Besides Art's experiences with them, JJHack has made a very similar statement. He, too, has seen more A-Bolts fail in the field than all others. JJ went on to say that he's seen everything except Rugers and Winchesters fail in the field.
I also noticed that Frank Dehaas in his very respected book, "Bolt Action Rifles" doesn't think much of their design either. Apparently they are miserable to almost impossible to get rebarreld as well.
So, for serious, rough conditions hunting, they appear to be an undesirable choice.

The Abort earned its name.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's not a rifle for the looney for sure. But IMO, neither is the Blaser 93.

A hunting Bolt Action, by design, should be as simple as possible.

But it's a free country and a guy should use what makes him happy...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
It's not a rifle for the looney for sure. But IMO, neither is the Blaser 93.

A hunting Bolt Action, by design, should be as simple as possible.

But it's a free country and a guy should use what makes him happy...

That's the nice about the good ol mauser 98 and its offspring....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
just wanted to change the title back.

Merry Christmas everybody. laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SU35
No, RIGHT.

The claim was made, "sadly, "made in america" most often actually means "assembled in america"

The burden is on you to provide a claim for the above.
I see. You can post just whatever in the f*ck you feel like and everyone is supposed to believe it because, well, YOU posted it. What a f*cking piece-of-[bleep].

You must have some proof other than this "because I said so" bullshit, do you not? Yes or no?

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SU35
Not only have I seen a Browning failure first hand but have heard first hand of more than a few accounts of failures in Alaska.
Well, that's utterly f*cking convincing.

Your argument is "BECAUSE I SAID SO AND I POSTED IT ON THE INTERNET AND I SAW IT POSTED ON THE INTERNET, THEREFORE I BELIEVE IT AND IT'S TRUE."

What a f*cking moron. Come up with something better, [bleep].

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I'm not as rugged as I used to be, however for two years in Nunavut I used a pretty little A-Bolt Micro Medallion in .223 as my caribou gun. I used 55 grain bonded bullets and never lost a boo. Used it between 0 and -40C. It finally did break, the wrist of the slender stock broke when I had it loose in the Komatik box. Pinned it together and we used it for 5 more years.

This gun was the most accurate factory gun I ever fired. 1/2MOA with several loads. Really great rig. Sold it when we moved up to a 6mm Rem in a Rem 600 as our light rifle.

I guess it could fail. It is a bit of a Rube Goldberg trigger group. However I am still waiting to see it happen. In the meantime I keep killing stuff with mine.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
OOooo, I didn't know you knew how to speak German. Very impressive.

You're a tough guy!! LOL!!!

I see. You can post just whatever in the f*ck you feel like and everyone is supposed to believe it because, well, YOU posted it.

Same to you, please call Leupold and ask them. I cited their example to you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If for some reason I lost all my rifles(heaven forbid cry ) I could quiet easily go in to my LGS & buy a 300WSM, 223Rem & 7mm-08Rem, all X-Bolts & live happily ever after. Hunt, gather meat & enjoy em grin

Taking my rifle for a walk
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1minute, 1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,704
Posts18,513,823
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.