Print Thread
Hop To
B
billt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
The new Marlin cataloge has an asterik after the .357 lever guns that says, "consult owners manual for ammunition use". Does anyone know what they are talking about? I'm thinking about getting one of these guns, but I don't want any feeding or extraction issues. I've heard some have had problems in this area. billt.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I would have to say that the owners manual just will specify the "type" of bullet. Mine which is fairly new shoots both VERY well. There are a lot of RN Lead that are somewhat pointed and they may be trying to avoid that. But I wouldn't worry about it, if your question is will it shoot both the short answer is YES.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Mine won't feed 38spl SWC consistently. Mine also tends to like the COL to be near max regardless of bullet style. 357 feeds the best.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had one that did not like 38 spl at all. Every other round jammed.

In 357, only 140 grainers and above fed reliably. If you reload, keep the OAL at or near max.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by WetDog
Mine won't feed 38spl SWC consistently. Mine also tends to like the COL to be near max regardless of bullet style. 357 feeds the best.

My lever guns typically do not like SWC's . I feed them RNL or RNFP .

They often can be selective as to OAL . I load .38 Specials to .357 Mag OAL .

God bless
Wyr

IC B2

S
S
Yes- if you look at the manual you will find that the new ones say "use only Remington ammunition in this rifle." (That was my feeble attempt at humor:)

This would be the LOOOONG answer to the quesiton. Feel free to ignore this ridiculously long post, but this is what the Marlin 1894c manual states.

"If your rifle is chambered for 357 Magnum, it is designed to handle 357 Magnum factory-loaded ammmunition (except wad-cutters and shot shells). It will also function with 38 Special catridges that are within the length parameters shown below. (NOTE: Since 38 Special cartridges are shorter than 357 Magnums, their use can case a lead buildup in the forward part of the chamber. Be sure to thoroughly clean the chamber with a wire brush after using 38 Specials.)

Minimum overall cartridge length- 1.400"
Maximum overall cartridge length- 1.590"

------------------------------------------

The specs in the manual for 38 Special are Min. OAL= 1.275", Max OAL 1.550"

In another section of the manual under "how to load" the following is giving for ammo.

"Warning: Never attempt to load your rifle with ammunition that does not meet the cartridge designation stamped on the barrel. Use only ammunition suitable for a tubular magazine rifle. We recommend clean, dry, factory-loaded ammunition which conforms to industry standards."

"Warning: Some pointed and full metal jacket round nose bullets are on the market which can chainfire other cartridges in a tubular magazine during recoil, causing severe injury and damage. If you are uncertain about the safety of using a particular cartridge in your Marlin, contact the ammunition or bullet manufacturer."

"Warning: Do not use aluminum-cased ammunition in this rifle, since it may cause malfunctions."

"Warning: Do not use Blazer brand ammunition in this rifle. The design is not compatible with the Marlin feeding system, and may result in live rounds inadvertently remaining in the magazine."
---------------------------------------------------------------

For what its worth, I have feed just about every bullet weight and oal length through my 1894c in 38 and 357 (save those the manual and common sense tells you not to) and have NEVER had a failure of any kind. Well, I suppose I should say that the first shot I made with the 1894c, I babied the lever and had a jam, but after that, I racked it like a man and have never had a problem.

Also, I called Marlin once about using lead RN in the 1894c- they said "no."

Last edited by sbcman; 10/13/10.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
the most important parts are the cartridge overall length and the type of bullet (flat nose, hollow point, semi wadcutter, or wadcutter).

The manual tells you which types of bullets feed well and the length required. Make sure any 38's you try to use meet the minimum length.

Although sbcman got one that will feed anything, that's not true of all 1894's, which is why marlin listed the requirements. They should feed anything that meets the description. If not, the action needs tuning.

Last edited by quietman; 10/14/10.
S
S
"They should feed anything that meets the description. If not, the action needs tuning."

+1

I have a 1894ss in 44 mag that DEMANDS oal be within manual specs.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My Marlin 1894C (Pre Rem) feeds 38 special just fine. I believe my owner's manual only cautions about the aluminum cased ammo.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 48 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,782
Posts18,477,172
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.