Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
This past summer I thought I'd give a couple of the newer Osprey designs a thorough trial (Aether 70 and Argon 85... I'll write a report on the Argon another time).

Most here know I'm pretty firm in my conviction that a comfortable suspension and lightweight pack don't go hand in hand. I'd read enough glowing reports about the Aether to be seduced into trying one. How could a pack that still holds 70L and yet weighs in at 5lbs be a bad thing?

Well...

Bought the pack second-hand on another forum, Size Large. Pack arrived in as-described condition, which is to say "like new."

First thing I did was ditch the Isoform hipbelt that is standard on the pack, and put on a beefier Bioform belt. So far so good.

I bent the single stay to the shape of my curvy back. Were this a double-stay pack I wouldn't have even considered buying it as trying to fine-tune two non-removable stays to one's back is a fools errand. However, a single stay is manageable. Not ideal, but manageable. This process took far longer than it should because the stay isn't removable and also because the stay is only 3/4 length. In the end I got it done. Well, sort of.

Trip day arrived. Myself, my wife, and another friend loaded up the SUV and headed to the South end of the Madison's, just off the Continental Divide. My total pack weight including a liter of H2O and 2lbs of fishing gear was right at 36lbs. Not a big test by any means.

What I found...

The first and most immediate impression on the trail was, "hey, this thing squeaks... LOUD!" Pretty annoying. Over the course of three days it lessened, but was still there. The bulk of the squeaking came from the external aluminum rods that act as part of the frame system. They're partly encased in fabric and that's where the noise was emanating from.

After an hour on the trail I was pretty uncomfortable... pack wouldn't stay conformed to my back which created lower back pain. Sooo, took a snack break, unloaded the entire pack and re-bent the frame to a better fit. We continued our trip, climbing up to a lake which was our destination. The Aether was "ok" for a bit, but then I slowly noticed the shape of the frame degenerating again... apparently this pack is a shape shifter!

We got to the first lake (where the trail ended) and proceeded a stout bush-whack over the next hour to a different lake off the trail system. The pack never gave me a moment of joy, and my lower back was still hurting by the end of the day. I won't give any more trip details other than to say over 3 days nothing got better.

Bottom line, this is a highly compromised pack. In order to save weight a 3/4 non-removable stay is used. If you have a standard back shape similar to the packs pre-bent stay shape, you might be ok. For a back like mine that's fairly curvy, this pack is useless. The frame (1- thin stay encased in HDPE) doesn't have the strength to maintain its bent shape and for a back like mine, the lack of a decent lumbar pad makes the whole thing even worse. This pack needs a beefier lumbar, and removable, stouter, aluminum stay. Even then, I believe it should be a FL stay.

The pack employs all manner of "racy" fabric cuts, zippers and attachment points, but at the end of the day a comfortable suspension is the main thing. Personally, I'd rather have a simple sack with no zippers and a pair of daisy chains on the back with a real suspension than a gimmick-laden pack like the Aether. I think far more thought was put into how this pack looks on a showroom wall than how it performs on one's back.

For my back, the Aether is out... ebay, here we come.

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Great review Brad, but my experience with the Aether 70 was more favorable. I took mine on an elk hunt in October and was impressed with how it handled about 50 lbs and a rifle in a gunbearer. I did not replace the waistbelt and did not notice any squeaking either. Full disclosure though this was my first backpack hunt so i may not know what i am missing, or the pack may just fit my body type better, who knows. I looked at an Argon but man that thing was heavy so i passed.

Joel

N
N
Brad good review. I am looking for a light weight pack. I can tell your not a fan of light weight packs, but do you have any experience with a Granite Gear Blaze A.C. 60. looking to pick it up for non hunting trips.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good Review Brad.

I had the Aether 85 for a little over a year. I really like how it carried to weight up to around 60 lbs. If you put pressure on the top of the frame you'll see how easily it bends/flexes very similar to the Badlands Sacrifice I had.

The Aether like all Osprey packs I really like how to snug up the waist belt with the pull forward design. I too had my waistbelt upgraded to the bioform as well.

I had around 60 pounds in mine for 130+ mile trip alone in 2010 carrying all the packrafting and camping gear. I was cubed out even with the 85L, but the pack did fine with no rips or tears despite not being on a trail the entire trip.

They are great packs but I don't believe the lightweight frame is a candidate for actual backcountry hunting where you have to haul camp and an animal out in the same load.

That said my buddy hauled out a dall ram with his Aether 85 this year while I help haul out the other half in my Barney's External Frame.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
A well done review.
Couldn't agree more. A quality, properly fitted suspension system is no.1. The only exception are when not carrying much of a load. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 12/27/11.
IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Brad;

Thanks! Learning... wink

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Brad, I think that I've read before that you don't do Danas and MR because of some reason - are you a tweener size?

Dana's large size internals work great for me, and can be had for very little dough with a little searching. The single stay is removable and easily adjusted.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Vek, I sort of fell in between the sizing on the old DD's, but a Large fit me good enough. I REALLY like the old DD's, but I liked the 1990's Osprey Vectors equally and they fit me better. The MR frame/harness arrangement is a non-starter for me.

I'm happy with my older Canadian made Arcteryx Bora 80. There are a few things on it I'd change, but it's comfortable. VERY comfortable.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NevadaExplorer
Brad good review. I am looking for a light weight pack. I can tell your not a fan of light weight packs, but do you have any experience with a Granite Gear Blaze A.C. 60. looking to pick it up for non hunting trips.

I've only had one GG pack and I wasn't overly impressed. Mine was the Flatbed and it fairly wilted with weight over 50 lbs. Also, GG packs aren't made tall enough for me. Even with their largest (I believe its the Regular) size, the load lifters lay flat which defeats most of their function. I wouldn't mind trying one of their smaller packs for light summer trips if they were made one size larger.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
AL, your Aether experience reinforces the idea that if your back falls in the parameters of the factory frame shape you might be ok with the Aether. I still think the frame system is too lightly constructed for more than 40 lbs but you obviously found differently!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad,

I am just about a medium in anything I use/wear. I agree the frame is too light for backpack hunting. However, if just normal backpacking then they work great up to around 60 pounds. After then the frame is too flexible to really maintain comfort.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I had one and thought the frame was to light. I tried to reinforce
It but eventually sold it. The silhouette though is a nice pack for loads.
Totally different design

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I have always liked the Aether, but like others have said, it is about a 60 lb max pack.

Ed T

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Brad,

I am just about a medium in anything I use/wear. I agree the frame is too light for backpack hunting. However, if just normal backpacking then they work great up to around 60 pounds. After then the frame is too flexible to really maintain comfort.

For me and my back, I found it wasn't up to a 36 lb load. It wouldn't hold its shape. Likely you have a "factory normal" back.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
I had one and thought the frame was to light. I tried to reinforce
It but eventually sold it. The silhouette though is a nice pack for loads.
Totally different design

The Silhouette is a great pack. I had the Xenith. Absolute top-drawer load hauler. Nothing Osprey currently makes is even remotely in the Silhouette's league.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
If anyone is looking for a like new Osprey Highlander, I have one I'm selling. I picked it up because it was so spotless, and I thought I could make it work. I can, but I'd really rather go with the absolute right size of medium than make something work. The Highlander was sort of their flagship pack. They used it in most of their advertisements at the time because it has such a tight profile. Really hugs the body and moves with it. They designed it with some mountaineering in mind, so it had to be both a bigger pack and one that didn't get in the way of movement like the larger Silhouette and Xeniths tended to do (as already stated, both are top shelf packs, so I'm not taking a dig at either of those models). PM me if you're interested.

brand: Osprey
model: Highlander
pack size: large (18"-22" torso)
harness size: large
belt size: large (34"+)
volume: 4600c (75L)
suspension: two aluminum stays + Delrin rod loop
weight: 6LB 10oz
fabric: Cordura 500d + 1000d top and bottom panels
color: azure (blue)
production year: 1997/1998
original retail price: $319 (just for reference)
attachment: vector two single compartment
condition: like new (looks like it never hit the trail)

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mchale.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A great lightweight pack which can support 70lbs+ is REI's XT 85. Weighs around 5lbs and plenty stout. Can be tried out at any REI store and be had for less than $225 when on sale.

The XT85 may not last as long as some heavier packs like MR's heavier packs but the XT 85 is very comfortable and seems stout enough. And REI has a great return policy (no Ebay needed).

Recommended by Elk Reaper who field tests packs thoroughly and does not have any bias. I really like mine so far and picked it up at great price (30% off).

MtnHtr

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I also picked up a REI XT85 and gave it a quick try out on a late buck hunt this past November. So far, thumbs up!

I like it, a lot.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I contemplated one last year... tried one on and fiddled with it in the store. Nice enough pack with a lot of features.

However, because of the type of frame used I'm skeptical it could be adjusted to my back... maybe it could, maybe not. Just not willing to plunk down the cash only to find out it wouldn't work for me and I'm not one that wants to take advantage of REI's returns policy unless I really have to.

I have no doubt however, if your back falls within the packs pre-bent range, it's likely to be a good pack.

Besides I have a good Bora 80 in the closet... hard to beat that pack with anything!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,357
Posts18,527,093
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.