Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
An infrared camera would be great.

So here is the result of testing last night. This is not scientific in any sense as heat source and other details were not controlled. Generally I have been using our large stove, or a ti rollup stove with a 2.625 pipe in our new 6 person. I've usually been testing on clear 15 degree nights however last night it snowed pretty good. The test was a 6 person new style with a 3 /4 coverage liner, open top vent, and our large titanium box stove. I loaded the stove every half hour and rarely touched it other than to occasionally adjust the damper.

Outside temp: 20 degrees F
Beginning inside temp 2.5 feet above ground :28 degrees (this difference is pretty common and I attribute it to ground warmth from the day)
Using every half hour loads, I maintained a comfortable 70 -80 degrees 2.5 feet above ground. The stove top temperature stayed between 750 - 900 degrees F. The stove pipe above the damper about 6 inches was usually 250 degrees less.
Measuring 2.5 feet above ground between the liner and tent canopy the temperature was 50 degrees, or 30 above the outside temp and 22 degrees above the starting inside temp. General feel, was it was much easier to maintain a comfortable even temp with the liner. So a liner, may add upwards of 20 degrees or more, when running the stove.
Inside temp 1 hr after last load 49 degrees (so there is about a 20 -25 degree drop in minutes 30 -60.
Inside temp 1:30 minutes after last load 41 degrees (still 20 degrees above outside temp). At this point there was a little snow but not much around the base, probably not enough to make a difference.

It snowed a good 6 inches, providing insulation on the tent. In the morning before sunrise the outside temp was 10 degrees, the inside temp was 30 - 40 (20 -30 degrees above outside) degrees depending on location. I think the 40 degree temp seemed to high, but once the snow was cleared off the canopy, the temperature of that thermometer quickly dropped to 22 degrees (12 above outside temp). The door was open minimally. I'm sure temperatures would have been higher had I closed the peak vent.

So what was learned be it scientific or by feel ? The liner created a more constant temp, but even so within a couple hours of last loading the stove the inside temperature will be near what it would be without a stove. Since the snow acted as insulation over night, it was difficult to say anything other than that insulation certainly worked given the quick drop once the snow was removed. By comparison, on clear nights sans liner, the temperature drop once the stove is not loaded is much quicker, and my guess is usually returns to near non stove temperature within 30 minutes of last load.

Last edited by Kevin_T; 12/22/11.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Kevin,

Nice data. I don't think the difference in temp between the liner and the tent canopy would be that great in actuallity since the liner is trapping a lot of the heat. About the only way to test would be to pitch to identical shelters side by side, one with liner, one without.

To me one of the biggest advantages of heated shelter, is that you go to sleep warm. As your tests show, you still need a bag and pad appropiate for the temperature but going to bed with an air temperature of 70 sure beats crawling into your bag and shivvering half the night until you warm the air space. Been there, done that way too many times to leave a two pound stove behind smile

I'm really interested to see what effect insulating the top of the tipi has.

Good stuff!

Ed T

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Totally agree Ed, of course if you can convince a buddy on the benefits of stocking the fire every 90 minutes, all the better smile

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
Originally Posted by evanhill
The cylinder stoves burn much better than the box stoves do.

I would disagree on that statement. I've been doing a lot of testing, in COLD COLD weather, with a lot of thermometers and stove pipe thermometers at certain locations, similar fire starting methods etc, and I think a good box stove works just as well as any cylinder stove I've tried (I have 3 cylinders). However, if the comparison is Ed T's cylinder and a more well known stainless box stove, I would take the cylinder all day. A non airtight stove to me, gets hot and cold very fast by comparison and takes a lot of feeding

I would disagree with you're disagreement but not overly so in terms of practical real world application as there is more than just a single factor to anything. I have used both in temps down to at least negative 20F...no come to think of it even colder. A cylinder stove drafts and coals better. There are fewer dead zones as well. But on the flip side a takedown box stove if made right will work good enough and be far far better for cooking.

For all practical purposes aka area heating a cylinder stove and a kifaru box stove is going to get hot and cold just as fast once the open flames die down or just after a stoke. A more airtight body sometimes leaves more coals to stoke it up again. This is nice but doesn't account for much in terms of heat a person can actually feel at even a short distance or area heating. A packable cylindar stove is hardly airtight but more so than many packable box stoves. This tends to make for a longer burn time but there are other factors as well. I don't think the OP would go wrong with either unless he is into camp cooking. That flat top and warming tray is real nice.

On a side note stove testing for me isn't cut and dry. There are many factors which will affect draft and temperature. Some strong winds, moisture content of the wood, style of stoking etc all come into play. Then there is the inexplicable. I have used multiple methods and found simple experience to be the best judge. Often looking at the pipe's emissions and sound of the draft tells a great deal about a stove's performance.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Kevin,

Nice data. I don't think the difference in temp between the liner and the tent canopy would be that great in actuallity since the liner is trapping a lot of the heat. About the only way to test would be to pitch to identical shelters side by side, one with liner, one without.

To me one of the biggest advantages of heated shelter, is that you go to sleep warm. As your tests show, you still need a bag and pad appropiate for the temperature but going to bed with an air temperature of 70 sure beats crawling into your bag and shivvering half the night until you warm the air space. Been there, done that way too many times to leave a two pound stove behind smile

I'm really interested to see what effect insulating the top of the tipi has.

Good stuff!

One pro of a stack robber is the secondary combustion that occurs and a nearly 100% spark killer. smile Also it makes the firebox larger. I think it does a better job than just a damper but for the weight a damper only is unbeatable.

On the topic of the liner it really does feel more comfortable in my view. I think the reduction in drafts is a big part plus bumping into warm walls is nice. I have always felt the liner made heating a shelter easier but once the lights are out the gig is up. The secondary wall of air is a nice temporary moderating factor when the stove is running but very ineffective for insulation.

As you stated going into the sleeping bag warm makes the whole night better. I almost forgot to add it feels like a liner reflects more heat back inside the tent than just an outer canopy but never put this observation to scientific testing.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (16gage, 160user, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10ring1, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,881 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,406
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.