Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MHCT48 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
In the late 1960�s (about 20 yrs old) I read a story about a hunter (probably Capstick) using a 458 Win Mag. I have wanted one ever since. More recently read about the 375 H&H and decided to buy one. A �fire member told me cocoman69 had one for sale. He is a great guy to do business with. I bought it and really like the 375. I still wanted a 458 Win Mag. I found one and bought it I may never get to hunt with it, but I do get to shoot it and that is a dream come true. I am honored to be a part of the campfire and look forward to reading topics every day.

Live so that it matters that you have lived at all....
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Welcome to the fire MCHT48, pull up a log and sit a spell, and enjoy those big bores, i love 'em too.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome, MCHT48. What loads do you use in your toys?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
MHCT48 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I am using factory loads....Remington 270 grain in the 375 and Federal and Remington 500 grain solids and 510 soft points in the 458. Bought the 458's from individuals online....
Thanks for the Welcome!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are FACTORIES that make ammo? WOW! Who knew! smile )I have not used factory stuff on but one animal)

Welcome to 24hrcf, hope you enjoy your time here. Tell us more about your 458 and 375.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome MCHT48. Hope to read some good stories and experiences about your 458. Mine smokes!

MHCT48 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
The 375 is a Weatherby Mark V with a Leupold 2x7 Varix II scope. At some point I may re-scope the 375....get a bit more eye relief....as is if you angle your head forward a bit....the scope will kiss you on the forehead....and leave a nice ) mark....hardly noticed it during the excitement of shooting a large and dangerous tree stump....

The 458 is a Ruger M77 RSC....with open sights....I do not plan on scoping the 458....am amazed with the penetration of the 500 grain solids....end to end or side to side through a seasoned oak log...about 18 inches in diameter and about 24 inches long....

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MCHT48
The 375 is a Weatherby Mark V with a Leupold 2x7 Varix II scope. At some point I may re-scope the 375....get a bit more eye relief....as is if you angle your head forward a bit....the scope will kiss you on the forehead....and leave a nice ) mark....hardly noticed it during the excitement of shooting a large and dangerous tree stump....

The 458 is a Ruger M77 RSC....with open sights....I do not plan on scoping the 458....am amazed with the penetration of the 500 grain solids....end to end or side to side through a seasoned oak log...about 18 inches in diameter and about 24 inches long....

Wont get much more eye relief than a 2-7 leupold, make sure the scope isnt to far back in the rings.

Gunner

Trump Won!
MHCT48 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks Gunrunner....I will check that out....

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Welcome! .458WM is a fun round. If you do not reload check out Hunting Shack Munitions and Wisconsin Cartridge Corp. Both sell online and offer non-premium loads for both .375H&H and .458WM at non-premium prices. How about some pics of those rifles?

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Welcome to the 'Fire!

I just acquired my second .458 WM, a custom Mauser. My first one was a first generation, tang safety Ruger 77 with open sights.

I never fired a factory round in it, all jacketed reloads. I really enjoyed that rifle as it was one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned.

I have picked up the new (to me) .458 WM and plan on trying out cast bullets and delving into paper-patched bullets to shoot whitetail deer, hogs, and anything else that I come across. grin May even take it prairie dog hunting.

You can load them from hot .45 Colt levels all the way up to full-bore elephant thumpers.

Enjoy, and don't forget to post pictures and shooting results!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

MHCT48 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the ammo info....good thing there are factories that make ammo for those of us that don't reload blush
No doubt there is a simple way to insert a picture....BUT....I can not figure it out....if someone can provide instructions I will try again to post pics.....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gunner500

Wont get much more eye relief than a 2-7 leupold, make sure the scope isnt to far back in the rings.

Gunner

Also make sure the stock is long enough for you (length of pull). A thicker recoil pad or a couple of spacers if you need more LOP will help a bunch.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Bushnell 6500 and the Sarovski z5 have about 4" of constant eye relief. The Bushenll has a 2 1/2X on the low end and the Swarovski z5 has a 3 1/2X on the low end. The 6500 has over forty feet field of view at 2 1/2X.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Now the pics you have must be "hosted" somewhere such as photobucket. After they are uploaded to photobucket you can post them.

You want to do a "Full Screen Reply" 3rd gray button below the box you type your reply in. It will take you to a different screen that has more options. Type out your post and where you want a pic you will click on the "Enter an image" icon. It is the 4th icon above the text box. You can choose how you want the pic orientated and then a box will appear and request the URL for the pic. That is where photobucket comes in. You get the URL for the pic from there and simply copy and paste.

Hope that helps.

MHCT48 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the info on scopes and posting pictures.....will try to get pictures on this evening....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Another friendly welcome. This is a great forum. Lots of smart guys on here. I am addicted to big bores. Have been for a long while. I currently own a M70 safari in 416 rem mag. I love this gun. One of my favorites. I used to have 3 458 lotts, 2 in high grade cz'2 and one field grade. Have owned numerous others but have settled in on my 416 remmy. Really like the caliber and it has more than enough for those dangerous whitetails I face down often. Cant wait to see some pics of your setup.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I call that a very good start. grin

Welcome to the fire. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Sounds like great guns! I'm still thinking about converting my Classic 70 to a .470 Capstick, just for the cool factor.

MHCT48 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks again for the "Welcome's"
For me....anything with Capstick definitely has a cool factor.

This post is supposed to contain pictures....
Hope they can be seen....
Well, following a few re-tries.....believe the pictures are finally here....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MCHT48; 12/30/11. Reason: Get the pictures to show

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (163bc, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 270wsmnutt, 28 invisible), 14,207 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,109
Posts18,541,996
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.