Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
What brands and types of lead core premium 9.3x62 ammo (partition, a-frame, bonded core, etc.) is available for sale in South Africa? Specifically in the Jo�berg area?

I�m from East Texas but work in Saudi most of the year. The last two years I went hunting direct from work, so no opportunity to bring my own gun and ammo. The PH I hunt with has a 9.3x62 he rents me. The first year the PH had Norma ammo with 286gr bonded core Oryx bullets. They worked great, even on a difficult rear quartering shot on a large Blue Wildebeest. Last year he has Serbian made �Highland� ammo with the softest, thinnest jacket 286gr slug on the planet. Great on small stuff like impala. Lousy on anything bigger or tougher.

For 2012 I�d like to ask him to buy a box of premium before I arrive and pay extra for it in my deposit. He�s very game savy but not as ammo savy, so I�s like to be able to suggest several options in addition to the Norma Oryx.

Any help on what is available that he might have access to would be appreciated.

Brazos Jack

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try PMP ammo. I collected 5 animals last May: impala, blue wildebeest, gemsbock, nyala and waterbuck with PMP 7x57 factory
softpoints, all under 100 yards. All one shot kills not traveling more than 50 yards. All classic mushrooms where I could recover the 175 grain bullet. I was pleased and somewhat amazed at the performance. Link:

http://www.pmp.co.za/index.php?page=sporting2

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Best thing to do would be to contact: Nicholas Yale, The Powder Keg or Camdix to find out what they have available. Premium ammo only comes into South Africa once or twice a year, so when the batch is gone it's gone! The PMP ammo is locally produced in Pretoria & is readily available, they also lot Scirroco & Partitions!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brazos Jack,
As you know , we in South Africa dont have the luxury of having that many options in the ammunition category. At this stage, you will not do much better than the Norma's your PH was using. If he can get some more, there will be no need for anything else.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found PMP to be useless in larger caliber rifles, specifically 375. With the 9,3 being so close to the 375 I would opt for anything other than PMP.

As stated by Marius, if the Normas worked well enough, you will not need anything more. Depending on where your PH is situated at it could be a major problem getting ammo to his small town out yonder somewhere. The local gun store will not want to order 2 boxes of whatever you want.

Depending on who does your pick-up at whatever airport on any other day than a Saturday afternoon, Sunday or Public holiday, have him stop at the store to pick up the ammo. 9,3 ammo is also not readily available in some stores. 9,3 X 74 will give you heart burn to find.

Last edited by PieterKriel; 12/25/11.
IC B2

P
P
Brazos J,
Camdix in JHB has the following in 9.3x62:
Sellier & Ballot Barnes TSX
RWS Uni and Evolution
Sako Power Heads Barnes
Norma & Prvi Partizan
The Powder Keg should have RWS etc etc.
With this line-up of ammo, you will be able to bag pretty much everything Africa has to offer in the above calibre.
PMP Pro-amm 286gr should be available at every gunshop in SA and will be a perfect choice if you're after non dangerous game and place your shots accurately into the vitals - from impala to eland.
The 9.3 is very widely used in SA for heavy bushveld game animals including buffalo, hence the good availability of ammo.
Enjoy!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I loaded some 232gr Norma Vulkan bullets a few months ago in my 9.3 and found them to be rather soft.
I shot a large buck with it and found pieces of bullet all over the place.
I have no experience with other Norma bullets but will not use the Vulkan's again personally.

I don't get drunk, I get awesome
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Koedoepeester Norma Vulcan is falling pieces already in 30-06. Try Norma Oryx 325gr and you get load for everything smile

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Motorist
Koedoepeester Norma Vulcan is falling pieces already in 30-06. Try Norma Oryx 325gr and you get load for everything smile

Koedoepeester??????

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by LT_DAN
[quote=Motorist]Koedoepeester Norma Vulcan is falling pieces already in 30-06. Try Norma Oryx 325gr and you get load for everything smile

Norma components is really hard to come by here.
And when you get them they are very expensive.
I think I paid 80$ CND for a box of 100 Vulkan's

Seeing as my 9.3 is my bear and moose rifle I am sticking with speer 270gr from now on, up to 250yards the trajctory is flat enough for anything I want to shoot.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by LT_DAN

Koedoepeester??????

Beter as Koedoe tril?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Norma Oryx bullet is very good. I used their ammo with the Oryx in my 9,3X74R/12ga combo gun I took over in 2002 and was impressed with the bullet.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
are you serious? koedoepeester is Afrikaans slang for kudu penis. LOL of the year.

kudu tril is heelwat beter

Last edited by LT_DAN; 01/01/12.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
As same as US components are expensive in North Europa. Box of Barnes cost 90 US and Nosler Partitione is even more.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

428 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 21, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 38 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,704
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.