Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ackley33806
A 6.5-06 ?? I would love to try a 6.5-06 !! I have owned 2 270s and would rather have crabs than to own another one.

Now there's an interesting perspective. confused

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
WOW, BOB !! It's not like I mounted your favorite sheep !! I just couldn't get along with the 270. To give you a little back round on me.. I have killed over 200 deer in my life with everything from my bow to the 338 winch mag. I trapped for a living for 5 years. I know a little about shooting and killing stuff. I shot 2 deer with the first gun and 3 or 4 with the last gun. One was accurate the other wasn't. The deer I shot never dropped at the shot. All of them ran for a ways, one went 300 yards before he fell over. Till I met the 6.5 swed my favorite gun was a 308. Killed ALOT of deer with that gun and none of them ever made it more than 30 yards. The 6.5 is even deadlier. I shoot 140 gr. Siera bullets out of it about 2650 fps and can watch the deer take the bullet. The whole side of the deer does a huge ripple and the deer drops.... and you get to see it in the scope.As far as having a "WHOLE" 2 270s... how unhappy do you have to be to say enuf is enuf ?? As far as getting to buy factory ammo..... If you are going to shoot a 6.5-06 you probably already thunk of that one and took ammo with you. I own 3 223s, 3 22 250s a 250 3000, the swed, a new 280 Ackley and a 338-06 ackley. I think I got most of what I need for firepower from the experiences I have had over the years. Can I shoot them or do I just like to spend too much $$ on guns ?? I one shot killed a prairie dog @ 402 lazered yards in a 25 mph cross wind last May. I am no target shooter but I get by with out a 270 just fine. As far as having crabs... talk to your wife about that. Just thinking out loud of course.....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I owned a 6.5/06 many years ago but ended up selling it as the gunsmith didn't follow my intructions and built it according to his own spec instead of mine. I replaced it with a 270 which will offer anything the 6.5 will and more in the form of factory rifles and ammo.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
WOW, BOB !! It's not like I mounted your favorite sheep !! I just couldn't get along with the 270.

As far as having crabs... talk to your wife about that. Just thinking out loud of course.....

ackley, you brought up the crabs.....not me. smirk And leave my wife out of it,before I really get upset. mad

I have read enough silly stuff to fill an encyclopedia about guys who have shot less than a half dozen half starved whitetails with a 270 and had the deer run off barely bruised, go for miles, fail to leak blood,and behave in so many other immortal ways.

Then the same hero proclaims something in the same general power category with bullets of roughly the same weight,a few thousands in diameter larger or smaller,traveling at roughly the same velocities,as the virtual hammer of Thor.

If I were stupid,lacked experience,and had not killed a pile of deer and other stuff with a 270,from 10 feet to over 400 yards with the cartridge, all over the country,I might buy into such complete nonsense.

So might friends of mine who have used the cartridge(more than me)from Alaska and Canada to Africa, on game as diverse as eland, moose,elk,and interior grizzlies, I might buy in....

To round things oput I have also done the same with a vraiety of 300 mags and 7mm mags.

When I dig deep, I usually find out that these "detractors either can't shoot, or didn't shoot very well, or are in general not very experienced....at all much beyond their back yard.

What surprises me is that they generally think they have discovered something about the 270 that tens of thousands of hunters have not since 1925....like they are the only one's in all those years to "learn" such things.Not to mention the number of dead game animals numbering in the millions by now, all killed with a 270.

Generally anyone who comes to those conclusions is not much worth listening to....I know he has not been around much, not killed as much game as he professes, and likely can't shoot either.

If you can't kill a little old deer with a 270 and avoid a lot of melodrama.....stay home and take up knitting.

Two 270's is a warmup.....so isn't 5 deer.This ain't kindergarten.

Welcome to the CF...another one on "ignore". smirk

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
WOW, BOB !! The deer I shot never dropped at the shot. All of them ran for a ways, one went 300 yards before he fell over.

As far as having crabs... talk to your wife about that. Just thinking out loud of course.....

And you blame the .270 for that? Sounds like [bleep] shooting to me. Also, no [bleep] way all deer drop at the shot regardless of cartridge.

Azzhole, you can say what you want about folks here and most have thick skins.....but family is off limits.

Hang some pics of your rifles and kills as an introduction to your hunting and shooting prowess....

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
All I said was I didn't like the 270. He started the fight. I too have hunted some ... from the mid states to Alaska. I have friends that shoot the 270 and say they love it but admit they have to follow some of the deer farther than they do with other guns and I have friends that tried the 270 and went to other guns as they didn't like how it killed. If you love the 270.. fine !! SHOOT IT ! BUT, IF you shoot 5 or 6 animals and the bullet is NOT getting the job done the way you want it to are you going to keep playing around and maybe lose a deer or elk or what ever ?? One of my friends found his 270 killed deer 3 days later after the coyotes found it. I was a 162 " deer. Ya think he didn't try his best to find that deer ?? I will not play that game for very long. As for not being able to shoot, my plain Jane old M70 in 338 mag will shoot 4 shots @ 100 to .362 with 225 gr Partitions. FOR SURE put me on the do not read list!! People with opinions that don't agree with you are always retards and azzholes. Sorry, but all the deer I have shot with the swed HAVE dropped at the shot. In fact, to be honest... the worst time I had killing deer was with the 338 and 225 gr partitions. Had to follow one about 200 yards. I don't like that. I do NOT like things traveling that far ! I don't take chances on shooting stuff. I don't like shooting long ranges myself. I can, but I like to get as close as I possible can to KNOW I am going to get the shot I want or back off and try something else. It is all of our responsibiitys ( sorry, my spelling sucks. Part of the retard azzhole thing.} to do ALL we can to do it right the first time. Bad shooting ?? I don't think so. I try my best to get a gun to shoot as good as I can and to practice to make me good euough to get the job done too. I tried 6 different bullets in 3 different brands before I took the 270s hunting. YOU started the insults on me . That is personal right there. THAT opened the door for what I said about your wife. I do apoligize for that and I am truely sorry.
As for proof of me doing what I say I have done and where I have been, I owe you no proof by pictures. I hunt and shoot for me. I am not bragging about the things I have done or the places I have been. I was there whether you want to beleive me or not. I don't remember you being there when we hauled moose meat out of Skookum Creek camp in Alaska for 5 days. I don't remember you almost having to carry my son out of the Foal Creek drainage in Northern Id because of altitude sickness while packing elk. I am verry sure you didn't help me drag my bow killed caribou out off the tundra in knee deep snow on a plastic sled just south of Dead Horse, Alaska
I DO want to THANK YOU for making the new guy feel WELCOME !!
And from now on ... Family is off limits.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
This is pretty simple stuff. Bullets matter more than the cartridge (within extremes). I don't care that you hate a .270 as I don't earn any money converting folks to cartridges...

Fact is, deer are gonna drop just as fast from a .270 as they would a Sweede. Though it sucks to loose a deer in any situation, it's hardly ever (I don't believe in absolutes) the fault of the cartridge.

Your friend lost his deer and that could have been due to a gut shot, poor tracking conditions, not enough blood, whatever. Not enough info to go by in your sentence. On the surface, it smells like a bad shot...

You are also chasing imagination if you think a specific cartridge will yield you a "dead right there" every time you pull the trigger. It's just not so unless you hit the CNS each and every time.

And the only reason I called you an azzhole, is because you brought a friends wife into the mix...

Glad to see you take a stand for what you like, but often folks cast blame on things they should not...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

You should be commended for sticking up for a buddy. I apoligised... you haven't.
WHY is it that when a guy says he does not personally like a cartrige, some body HAS to tell them that they are instantly a retard and know nothing of guns and shooting. The 270 HAS and will keep killing things. The swed has, for me, killed DRT for me. I beleive that every caliber has a perfect match between caliber, bullet weight, design and speed that when found kills stuff with amazing results. The load for my swed is such. Would it do it on elk ?? I doubt it... almost guarantee it.The deer I have killed are short range shots by alot of peoples standards. I doubt I have killed more than 10 deer beyond 200 yards. I can. It is.. I can get closer... so I do. Some deer are at feet and not yards. On average, I would say 100 yards. NOWHERE did I say the 270 wouldn't kill a deer. I said it did kill the deer, they just traveled farther than I wanted. YA, I wasn't there on my buddies deer so I can't comment on that other than it happened. I have no idea WHY they don't fall over or why I have such good luck with the 6.5. As for half starved deer... S.E. Iowa doesn't have very many of those. I never said I discovered anything new about the 270... BOB again. BOB blew this deal up !! I have no need to fight with you or your buddy, Bob. I also will not take the know it all snide attack from Bob or any other self proclaimed wizzard. Bob needs to control his ego a little better. ALL I SAID WAS I, PERSONALLY, DO NOT LIKE THE 270 !! Now that we have had this fancy pissing match, just how do I post pics ?

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I don't speak for Bob, he is well equipped to handle himself...

I don't feel as though I have anything to apologize for here so let's just move on to another topic shall we...

The best way to post pictures is through a photobucket account. That's what I use and it's pretty easy. If you go to the photography section here, there are instructions that people have put up.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thank you for the help about posting pics. I will take note that it is proper etiquet on this forum to call someone an azzhole and not have to apoligize. Next subject.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ackley sorry we got off on the wrong foot....but if I see something I very much disagree with,I will comment on it.

The comment about "crabs" was "tongue in cheek" and I should have held off, but it was just too irresistable....I figured no big deal, since you mentioned it first and left yourself wide open.... eek

You don't "have to" like the 270....I happen not to "like" 338's...I'm still trying to figure out what they are for....but I don;t make stuff up about them to prove a point either,and the last thing I'd suggest is that they don't "work good"..

So it goes.We all have our tastes in cartridges.I am not a self proclaimed "expert",but when I see something mentioned that runs very contrary to what I have observed,I won't hesitate to mention it,since this forum is all about expressing opinions based on experiences.

FWIW, here's mine.....anytime someone tells me that they hit an animal with a 270,and the animal got away,(or ran into the next county), I "know" one of two things....they did not hit him correctly, or they did not hit him at all.This does not require "expertise", just common sense.

People lose animals with a 270 for the same reason they lose animals with any caliber.....they didn't hit them right.I have never seen this "rule" breached.....ever; with any cartridge,or bore diameter.

There are no magic calibers,and nothing I have used is any better as a deer cartridge.

Have a nice day.Hope you get your picture posted smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've never liked 243s, nor had crabs. grin

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
ackley33806,

Welcome to the Campfire!

You're also welcome as a free American to dislike the .270, but you got into trouble when you gave as an example of its lousy performance a half-dozen deer that went "too far" after being hit.

My wife and I have taken over 50 big game animals with the .270 Winchester, including whitetail and mule deer, pronghorns, wild sheep, caribou, elk, moose and bison. A couple were poorly hit, so went a ways, but other than that none went over 50 yards, and most less.

In fact the quickest I've ever seen a moose killed was when my wife shot a Shiras bull with a 150-grain Nosler Partition, and it was a pure lung shot. The bull took a step-and-a-half before falling dead. Eileen also took a mature cow bison with one 130-grain Barnes TSX from a .270 (another lung shot), and it went about 40 yards before keeling over.

Other animals have died out to 400+ yards quite readily. The bullets have included every popular make and type in America.

What Bob is saying (and I am backing up) is that if you've had really miserable experiences on a handful of deer with the .270 the problem lies somewhere other than the cartridge and its bullets.

Oh, and I have a 6.5-06 and have hunted with it some, as well as a bunch of the 6.5mm rounds, including the .264 Winchester Magnum, as well as the 7x57 Mauser, .280 Remington and .280 Ackley Improved. Their trajectories vary a little, depending on bullet and muzzle velocity, but after seeing a BUNCH of game (not half a dozen deer) taken with all those rounds I have yet to be able to find any difference how well they kill big game--as long as the bullet's put in the right place.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm, I knew there was a reason I love the 06 Improved so much... wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[quote=ackley33806 As far as having crabs... talk to your wife about that. Just thinking out loud of course..... [/quote]

Don't doubt your experience,or your abilities....but this was pretty un-necessary and uncouth.
Haven't read the whole thread, but an apology is warranted...and if its been offered, I stand corrected...if not...
well...

Charlie

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
PLEASE !! Go back and read my original post. I said nothing other than I would not own another 270 and then this guy writes a whole page about me being a retard from hell. WHERE did that come from. I offered an apoligy in my last post but when it comes to him calling me all of the things he called me... THAT is when things went bad. Are you the same "BobinNh that is on the Alaska forums ?? IF so I have seen you rip people like this before for no reason on that forum. If I say something about shooting or hunting.. that is the way it happened. I have no reason to lie to any body out there. In alot of the places we hunt good info is a gift and bad info will get you killed. According to BOB i should have shot a couple of dozen more deer that I would be unhappy with the results and bought another dozen 270 and then maybe he would be happy I met HIS standards.
IF IT DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU.... CHANGE IT !! Ask me a question and I will either give you an answer or tell you "I don't know" or I will tell you it is none of your business but BOB or anyone else is getting away with the crap he pulled on here. Once again I apoligize to Bob's wife for my remark.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back to the 6.5-06 now....
I don't care to converse with people that have little pieces of BS hanging off their lip.....

I just finshed loading some new brass with RL19 and Horny 129 SST's,to compare with my 6.5 Creedmoor,then off to the range this weekend...

Last edited by rifle; 12/30/11.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I've never liked 243s, nor had crabs. grin

Those of you knocking crabs don't know what you're missing. Steam up a half-bushel, seasoned with Old Bay and salt, roll out the butcher paper and the beer, and have at it.

Wait a minute......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two comments that sum it up on the 270 issue. Shot placement is king.

BobinNH

People lose animals with a 270 for the same reason they lose animals with any caliber.....they didn't hit them right.I have never seen this "rule" breached.....ever; with any cartridge,or bore diameter.

Mule Deer

What Bob is saying (and I am backing up) is that if you've had really miserable experiences on a handful of deer with the .270 the problem lies somewhere other than the cartridge and its bullets.

Last edited by raybass; 12/30/11. Reason: Added comment

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wow, a bullet diameter from .264 to .277 to .284 and all hell breaks loose. Does it really matter, no..again put the bullet in the right place and the animal dies a quick death. If you believe the attack was personal from Bob, I think you misread somewhat. His point being of course how can you plainly state that the .270 is inadequate to kill deer based on limited experience and more so just common sense that your 6.5 swede kills them right there when the bullet, velocity, etc are so similiar, think about it, how does the conclusion make sense. Me, I'm not a neck/head shot kinda of shooter so I expect a tracking job after the shot. If I hit them right, its usually short and quick, you hit them wrong...well, just saying

Me, I'm not a 270 fan either but for different reasons, I much rather prefer the far superior .280 whistle

As for the crabs, I like mine in sauce. Made a big pot for Xmas Eve, threw in some scallops and shrimp and ate over spaghetti... grin

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,134
Posts18,502,693
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.