Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Have a #1 in .25-06, gonna go the easy way and re-chamber to .257 Weatherby, or re-barrel to 6.5x284 Norma. Any thoughts or suggestions? I already have .257's, wonder if all the hype about the 6.5x284 is worth the re-barrel? Also, if I go the 6.5 route, what length barrel would be best?

Thanks,
JohnP

JohnP
GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Certainly a lot cheaper to go the .257 WBY route if indeed the gun already shoots. It's a deer killer out to a long way. If you are going to rebarrel that's a $800 or so proposition for sure. I'm not sure the normal accuracy associated with the Ruger 1 will be capable of handling the long range potential of the 6.5x284. I actually went the other way and rebarreled a number 3 to a .257 roberts. Well, its with the smith to do the job now. Cost is quite a bit as I'm having it restocked at the same time and having the barrel go from an octagon to a round with a wedding ring in between.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by johnp034
Have a #1 in .25-06, gonna go the easy way and re-chamber to .257 Weatherby, or re-barrel to 6.5x284 Norma. Any thoughts or suggestions? I already have .257's, wonder if all the hype about the 6.5x284 is worth the re-barrel? Also, if I go the 6.5 route, what length barrel would be best?

Thanks,
JohnP
I don't see any point in re-barreling a single shot the size of a No. 1 to a short action caliber like the 6.5-.284. You're not saving any length or dealing with a magazine length restriction. Why not save yourself some money and re-bore to 6.5-06? It's the same basic cartridge ballistically.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ths decision by Ruger never to put out a Ruger in 257 WBY was based on the premise that the 25-06 does pretty much the same thing easier and cheaper. Of ocurse, Ruger then went ahead and made a few 270 WBYs and 300 WBYs in #1s... Go figure.

I looked at the same project years ago and my gunsmith argued strenuously to just keep it a 25-06. He pointed out that it had cheaper and more available ammo, imposed little real sacrifice compared to the WBY in terms of down-range trajectory or impact on animals; and that it was better to use the money to do any accurizing the rifle needs. Worked out well for me.

1B

Last edited by 1B; 12/31/11.
6mm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd just keep it as a 25-06. If you really wanted to rebarrel it I think the 6.5-06 would be a good one for long range!!

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You could always just AI the 25-06, i'm runnin' 100 gn TTSX's out of an AI that Redneck rebarreled for me, first group went .331 and chronoed 3527 w/ RL-22.

just a thought

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Bricktop
I don't see any point in re-barreling a single shot the size of a No. 1 to a short action caliber like the 6.5-.284. You're not saving any length or dealing with a magazine length restriction. Why not save yourself some money and re-bore to 6.5-06? It's the same basic cartridge ballistically.

Then, I take it that you've never owned a #1 in .22/250, .220 Swift, .243 Win, 6mm Rem, .257 Robts, 7mm/08, .308, or how many other short action chamberings that Ruger has factory made?

To me that agrument doesn't hold any water... If a person wants a s/a chambering in a sgl shot, WHY NOT? It's what he wants... AFAIC, that's the whole purpose of having a custom #1... To have what one wants...

I have a 1-A in .338 Fed. because I wanted it. Also have a #3 in .338/06 Ack. Imp. Same reason... Have one in .356 Win, and one .35 Whelen. Again same reason.

I'm sure someone, somewhere, has rechambered a #1 in 6mm Rem or .243 Win to .240 Wby using your philosophy... But if Ruger had only made them in .240 Wby... I'll bet a lot of customs would have been made in .243 and 6mm... smile

I also have plans for a #1 in 6.5 Rem Mag. and NO I DO NOT want one in .264 Win Mag. And before you ask, ... Yes! I also have one in 6.5/06... smile Why? Because I want one, and I can...

So, if the original poster wants one in 6.5/.284, I say: why not? One should have what one wants, and we should be thankful we have the freedom to have what we want.

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Then, I take it that you've never owned a #1 in .22/250, .220 Swift, .243 Win, 6mm Rem, .257 Robts, 7mm/08, .308, or how many other short action chamberings that Ruger has factory made?

To me that agrument doesn't hold any water...
I own No. 1s in .22-250, .220 Swift, and .257 Roberts. Short action .22 centerfires are de rigueur. The .257 Roberts goes back to the only game in town argument for a left-handed shooter. Same goes for the 6mm Remington.

My statement -- it's certainly not an argument, it's just straight-up FACT -- holds a hell of a lot of water. And truth. What exactly is to be gained by chambering a short action cartridge in a single shot rifle? Are you saving weight? Nope. Are you conserving space? Nope. Based on your "merits:"

If a person wants a s/a chambering in a sgl shot, WHY NOT? It's what he wants... AFAIC, that's the whole purpose of having a custom #1... To have what one wants...

I have a 1-A in .338 Fed. because I wanted it. Also have a #3 in .338/06 Ack. Imp. Same reason... Have one in .356 Win, and one .35 Whelen. Again same reason.

I also have plans for a #1 in 6.5 Rem Mag. and NO I DO NOT want one in .264 Win Mag. And before you ask, ... Yes! I also have one in 6.5/06... smile Why? Because I want one, and I can...

So, if the original poster wants one in 6.5/.284, I say: why not? One should have what one wants, and we should be thankful we have the freedom to have what we want.

GH
The only "logic" you can provide is ego-driven.

And my question -- the practical nature of which escaped you -- is again, WHAT'S THE POINT?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
[And my question -- the practical nature of which escaped you -- is again, WHAT'S THE POINT?

Well bless my soul! It would appear that you've gotten it!

The POINT is: There is NO point...! You are quite right; there is nothing to be gained. One cannot define it by logic.

You can apply that same logic to about 2/3 of the chamberings we all use on a regular basis... Merely something different.

Seems to me that you recently built a sgl shot in 6.5x55... What's the point? Why not a 6.5/06..., 6.5 Gibbs...
Why not a .264 Win Mag? Why not a 6.5x.378 Wby?

Any of them can easily out do a 6.5x55...

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The POINT is: There is NO point...! You are quite right; there is nothing to be gained. One cannot define it by logic.
Jesus Christ, it took a hell of a lot of effort to drag that out of you.

Seems to me that you recently built a sgl shot in 6.5x55... What's the point? Why not a 6.5/06..., 6.5 Gibbs...
Why not a .264 Win Mag? Why not a 6.5x.378 Wby?

Any of them can easily out do a 6.5x55...
Uh, because I already had about 500 rounds of 6.5x55mm brass and already had the other loading components for it. What would be the point of the other calibers you mentioned?

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Gee Whiz guys, i just wanta do something a little different, have not seen or heard of a 6.5x284 in a #1. Gonna try it anyway.

johnP

JohnP
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Gee Whiz guys, i just wanta do something a little different, have not seen or heard of a 6.5x284 in a #1. Gonna try it anyway.

johnP

John,

AFAIC, that is all the justification needed. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

johnP
John,

AFAIC, that is all the justification needed. smile
Well, that's cool. Now Arch and Jughead can hold hands and go skipping through the tulips.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
BrickTops reason for a single shot chambered for the Swede.

Uh, because I already had about 500 rounds of 6.5x55mm brass and already had the other loading components for it.

Johns reason for a #1 in 6.5 x 284.

Gee Whiz guys, i just wanta do something a little different, have not seen or heard of a 6.5 x 284 in a #1.

Sounds to me like both are very good reasons for for doing it, but as we on the fire have come to realize that if its not logical to Bricky boy then hes gonna downgrade it, argue it to death, and as we have seen cussing to get his point across.

John if thats what ya want DO IT. Good Caliber.

Bricky why dont ya change your screen name to Elmer Fudd because as bugsy would say "What a Maroon" and just for you, Maroon defines to moron.

Swifty

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Bricky why dont ya change your screen name to Elmer Fudd because as bugsy would say "What a Maroon" and just for you, Maroon defines to moron.

Swifty
I would change it, but you've assumed the title of dumbest dickhead. How could I possibly compete with that?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Swifty
I would change it, but you've assumed the title of dumbest dickhead. How could I possibly compete with that?

[Linked Image] Nope you got that title 4070 posts ago. But SlickySticky was a close 2nd.

Swifty

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Swifty
[Linked Image] Nope you got that title 4070 posts ago. But SlickySticky was a close 2nd.

Swifty
Oh, I see, you've decided to move up to the professional status of Larry Root. Congratulations, [bleep].

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks GH & Swifty, I'll let you know how it works out, maybe someone can use a 25/06 barrel from a #1.

One more question, what length & contour would you go with on the 6.5x284?

JohnP

JohnP
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Thanks GH & Swifty, I'll let you know how it works out, maybe someone can use a 25/06 barrel from a #1.

One more question, what length & contour would you go with on the 6.5x284?

JohnP

That's essentially a mag round for all practical purposes. I'd say min barrel length is 24" and 26" would be better. Contour is a personal choice. If I was gonna do that project I'd opt for a octagonal barrel because it has excessive amounts of cool associated with it IMO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd go 22-24" barrel.
The case capcity of the .284 is the same as a 30-06.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (2500HD, 222ND, 1OntarioJim, 257Bob, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,200 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,934
Posts18,479,981
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.