Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
WTS: used books on Guns, Hunting, Civil War, and Outdoor Adventure topics. ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS; if you are in AK, HI, or Canadia, let me know your ZIP or postal code when you order and I'll have the PO figure out if it will cost extra and how much. (I figure these out by comparing them to what it would cost to ship to Maine from here in CA, so it usually isn't much extra). I DON'T do PayPal, but do take cash, personal checks, and MOs of any kind. Will ship the next work day after payment arrives (unless I'm hunting that day).

TAKE $1 OFF THE PRICE OF EACH BOOK YOU ORDER AFTER THE FIRST ONE (multiple orders saves me on shipping).

Ask any questions by PM only, not here on the thread. All will be answered ASAP. An "I'll take book(s) ___" here reserves the book(s), then I'll PM you with my address for payment.

Thanks for reading!

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

"Outdoor Adventures"

SPF) "Basher Five-Two" by Captain Scott O'Grady. Being hunted by Serbian fanatics behind enemy lines seems like an "outdoor adventure" to ME....they made a movie of this. New cond HB illus w/b/w photos. $4

SPF) "Survival in the Outdoors" by Bron Dalrymple. Classic how-to for survival in the wilds. Old school: no GPS or "Quick-Clot" or cell phones, but all the timeless issues and their fixes. HB exc. cond w/exc. DJ 315 pp. illus. w/NEAT "how to" drawings. $6

SPF) "Danger: Explosive True Adventures of the Great Outdoors" by Ben East. 23 of East's adventure stories from old "Outdoor Life" issues, set from the Arctic to the tropics: polar bears to Cape Buffalo. HB exc. cond. w/DJ 330 pp. illus. w/Tom Beecham drawings from original issues. $6

SPF) "The Alamo" by John Myers Myers. Classic history of the site, the conflicts leading up to the battle, and the battle itself and how it helped spark the Mexican War. Quality PB 240 pp. in exc./new cond. w/maps (U.OK Press) $5

E) "Winterdance: the Fine Madness of Running the Iditerod" by Gary Paulson. Prize-winning adult and young adult author runs the 1180 mile dogsled race and records his experience. Same author young adults have loved for years, but not a YA book. Quality PB 260 pp. in exc.cond. illus. w/map, color photos. $5

SPF) "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. Best-selling account of a 2100-mile walk on the Appalachian Trail in th e1990s. Humorous, revealing: people, sights, critters he meets. New HB but with inscription on flyleaf, new DJ. 275 pp. $6

SPF) "Dragon Hunter: Roy Chapman Andrews and the Central Asian Expedition" by Charles Gallenkamp. History of the great treks made in the 1920s by the paleontologist and famous explorer into Mongolia, Tibet, and China widely thought to have been the model for "Indiana Jones" and a spy for the US State Department. He popularized T. Rex and other dinosaurs, and was an enthusuastic user and endorser of Savage rifles. HB 358 pp. in new cond BUT a discarded library book with stamps and library cover, illus w/period b/w photos and maps. $7

Books on Guns and Shooting

SPF) ""The Firearms Encyclopedia" by Maj. George Nonte, Jr. A-Z coverage of gun and shooting terms with technical data in appendixes. Fully illus. w/diagrams, drawings, and photos. 8 1/2x11" HB new cond. in publisher's shrink wrap. An Outdoor Life Book by famous firearms expert. $10

SPF) "Home Gun Care and Repair" by P.O. Ackley. Classic how-to by a famous gunsmith and wildcatter. First edition, Stackpole Books, HB exc. cond. w/exc. DJ, 191 pp. illus. w/b/w photos and drawings. $9

SPF) All About Rifle Shooting and Hunting in America" ed. by Steve Ferber. Chapters on specific hunting and rifle shooting topics by famous experts: John Wooters, Jac Weller, Dave Petzal, Jack, O'Connor, Elgin Gates, Jim Carmichael and others. 6 chapters on rifles, 7 on hunting large and small game, and 2 on rifle competition. HB new cond. w/exc. DJ 262 pp. illus w/many b/w photos. $8

K) "The Small Arms Lexicon and Encyclopedia" by Col. Chester Mueller and John Olson. A very complete reference to the world of firearms including classic military arms. Firearms terms/names/types A-Z w/illustrations and 25 technical appendixes of firearms measurements, ballistics tables, and pressure/measurement standards. 8 1/2x11" HB in new/exc. cond w/exc. DJ 309 pp. illus w/b/w photos and drawings. $9

L) "Gun Digest 2009" ell-known annual with gun-related articles and buyers guide to guns and related access, ammo, plus complete directory of the gun trade including websites. 8 1/2x11" 349 pp. illus w/color and b/w photos and tables. Exc. cond. but has library stamps. $6

M. "Gun Digest First Annual Edition" This is a new reproduction of the first edition of the annual classic in 1944. Contains articles on hunting, shooting and guns by now-famous writers inc. Elmer Keith, Jack O'Connor and others, and a buyers guide of the guns available in that year (maybe....). DON'T EVEN LOOK AT THE PRICES..... 8 1/2x11" PB new cond. 162 pp. illus. w/b/w photos $8

Books on Hunting

N) "Hunting Big Game Trophies: A North American Guide" by Tom Brakenfield. "Outdoor Life's" guide to trophy hunting: explains scoring systems and how/where to seek a trophy head, plus outdoor photography, field care of trophies, how to choose and use a taxidermist, and how to set up a trophy room. HB NEW in publisher's shrink wrap, 400 pp. illus. w/over 160 photos, maps, drawings, and score charts. $10

SPF) "The Art of Hunting Big Game in North America" by Jack O'Connor. O'Connor's classic updated by him. covers all America (Canada, Alaska, CONUS, Mexico, etc.) in his usual opinionated, informed style. HB exc. cond. w/exc. DJ. 422 pp. illus. w/b/w photos and charts. $9

SPF) "All About Small Game Hunting in America" ed. Russell Tinsley. Articles by best-known writers on small game hunting. Winchester Press HB 308 pp. illus. w/b/w photos in new cond. in publisher's shrink wrap. $10

SPF) "Deer Hunting: Tactics and Guns for Hunting All North American Deer" by Norman Strung. First edition HB New cond 320 pp. illus. w/b/w photos and drawings NEW in publisher's shrink wrap. $9

R) "The Hunter's Field Guide to the Game Birds and Animals of North America" by Robert Ellman. Total how-to guide to hunting and processing game in America by an established authority. HB 656 pp. in NEW condition in publisher's shrink wrap w/more than 200 in-the-field photos, drawings, and diagrams plus 48 pages in full color. $10

SPF) "Modern Hunting with Indian Secrets" by Allan A. Mackfarlan. Folklorist and expert on Native American hunting methods' handbook on how they hunted and how to adapt their methods to ours. Illustrated with game drawings and how-to diagrams. HB 222 pp. in exc. cond w/exc. DJ $6

SPF) "Mark of the Grizzly": True Stories and Recent Bear Attacks and the Hard Lessons Learned" by Scott McMillan. Details and analyzes 18 attacks in AK, MT, and BC. Tells you what the danger is and how to minimize it. PB new/exc. cond. 266 pp. $5

SPF) "The Deer and the Tiger: A Study of Wildlife in India" by George B. Schaller. Award winning animal behaviorist explains the relationships between the tiger and its main prey species (deer, antelopes, and gaur) with a section on other predators (leopard, dholes). Environment and game management. PB in exc.cond 385 pp. illus w/b/w photos. $5

V) "American Bird Decoys" by William J. Mackey, Jr. Illustrated history of American decoys by a prominent collector. Arranged by period and region: included waterfowl, pigeons and doves, and shorebirds from times when they were legal game. 8 1/2x11" HB in exc. cond. w/worn/torn DJ, over 200 decoys illus., some in full color. $7

Civil War Books

SPF) "Decisive Battles of the Civil War" by William Swinton. Reprint of a 19th century classic. Describes 12 decisive battles of the war, breaking down each into "prelude," "battle," and "results." Exc. cond. HB 520 pp. illus w/portraits and maps. $6

SPF) "A Stillness at Appomattox" by Bruce Catton. Prize-winning history of the last cruel year of the Civil War. The Wilderness, Cold Harbor, the Crater and Petersburg, Appomattox, and the rest. HB 438 pp, exc.cond. w/worn DJ $5

SPF) "The Battle of Pea Ridge" by Pea Ridge National Military Park. Park's brochure w/history of the battle also called "Elkhorn Tavern". PB 44 pp. exc. cond. w/maps, b/w photos, includes article on Indian regiments at Pea Ridge. $3

SPF) "The American Heritage History of the Civil War" w/narrative by Bruce Catton. BIG illustrated history which covers the causes of the war, the war itself, and its aftermath. Extensively illustrated by historic b/w CW photos and daguerratypes, color repros. of contemporary publications and paintings, and color photos of present CW battlefields. 8 1/2x11" HB 630 pp. in exc. cond. w/worn/torn DJ. $7 (heavy to ship).

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to take off $1 for each book after the first one you order!

Happy New Year!

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

Last edited by Mesa; 01/01/12.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
B) "Survival in the Outdoors" by Bron Dalrymple. Classic how-to for survival in the wilds. Old school: no GPS or "Quick-Clot" or cell phones, but all the timeless issues and their fixes. HB exc. cond w/exc. DJ 315 pp. illus. w/NEAT "how to" drawings. $6

I'll take it

and
O) "The Art of Hunting Big Game in North America" by Jack O'Connor. O'Connor's classic updated by him. covers all America (Canada, Alaska, CONUS, Mexico, etc.) in his usual opinionated, informed style. HB exc. cond. w/exc. DJ. 422 pp. illus. w/b/w photos and charts. $9

and

H) ""The Firearms Encyclopedia" by Maj. George Nonte, Jr. A-Z coverage of gun and shooting terms with technical data in appendixes. Fully illus. w/diagrams, drawings, and photos. 8 1/2x11" HB new cond. in publisher's shrink wrap. An Outdoor Life Book by famous firearms expert. $10

And

A) "Basher Five-Two" by Captain Scott O'Grady. Being hunted by Serbian fanatics behind enemy lines seems like an "outdoor adventure" to ME....they made a movie of this. New cond HB illus w/b/w photos. $4

Last edited by hemiallen; 12/31/11.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks much Mike

Shoot me a pm with total. My FIL enjoyed the last batch I got from you.

Ok, here is another to add///lol

J) All About Rifle Shooting and Hunting in America" ed. by Steve Ferber. Chapters on specific hunting and rifle shooting topics by famous experts: John Wooters, Jac Weller, Dave Petzal, Jack, O'Connor, Elgin Gates, Jim Carmichael and others. 6 chapters on rifles, 7 on hunting large and small game, and 2 on rifle competition. HB new cond. w/exc. DJ 262 pp. illus w/many b/w photos. $8

Allen

Last edited by hemiallen; 12/31/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll take books W, X, and Z. PM me with addy. Thanks.

ETA: I'll take book R as well.

Last edited by 257heaven; 12/31/11.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I'll take B,C,O,S,X if still available

Buy once, cry once.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
i'll take D and F

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'll take G and U. (dragon hunter and deer and tiger) if available.

long before Rodriguez stole that goat.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
To make it easier to see what I snagged before anyone else posted:

I shouldn't have kept adding to the post and allowing it to stamp a time, but the only book I added after 257 posted was J.... which I don't think anyone else wanted yet.
=============================================================

A
B
H
J AND
O

Thanks Mike

Allen

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books A, B, H, J, and O SPF to hemiallen

R,W, X, and Z to 257heaven

C and S to Deerhunter555

D and F to smaljawbasser

G and U to willowcreek

Thanks for buying, guys! PMs coming to all of you.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
i'll take :

P) "All About Small Game Hunting in America" ed. Russell Tinsley.

PM me info...Thanks!

============================================================

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'll take (T) Mark of the Grizzly

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Book P SPF to FyrepowrX

Thanks for buying!

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
book T SPF to bowhgs280

Thanks!

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'll take Y and Z - PM me
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I will take I and Q

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books I and Q SPF to morestag

Book Y SPF to mark shubert

Thanks for buying! PMs on the way to both of you.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
New Year's bump.

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks Mesa, I will keep checking back for future possibilities smile

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
OLB (One Last Bump). PLEASE NOTICE Book R is sold. For some reason I lose the "edit" function after the ad has been done for a few days, so I can't mark more books sold in the text of the ad.

Thanks for reading, and BUYING! (Your hard-earned dollars feed my hard-earned hunting addiction!).

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I'll take E & M. Please PM payment details.

Many thanks

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 59 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,909
Posts18,518,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.