-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You mean all of those highway patrolmen carrying .357 Magnums all those years - they will crack an engine block! - were wrong?! shocked grin

I may be confusing things, but isn't the reason Clyde Barrow preferred the .30-06 BAR was because it would shoot through a car?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RJM

A friend shot a guy with two knives in the face as I was pulling into the driveway where the shooting occurred. He hit the guy just below the left eye socket... The 147 SS bounced off the eye socket and went around to the back of the neck. Another friend in Dallas did the same with a .38 158 +P and had the same happen....
Bob

I have notes on better than two dozen OIS's that I have reviewed where the officer's handgun bullet struck the bones of the eye socket or forehead and were deflected, involving 9mm, 38 Special, 357 Mag and SIG, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. I have heard of (but not personally reviewed the cases) of 44 Magnum bullets being likewise deflected, one case of which was related to me by the officer who shot the suspect and saw the "failure" personally. (He put the next 5 bullets into the brain pan, however, so all's well that ends well!) I have heard of such failures happening in the non-OIS realm quite a bit, too.

When people hear about these OIS failures, they almost invariably point at the caliber/bullet/gun in question as the reason for the failure. This is utter nonsense. I know of two agencies that were so dismayed by this phenomenon that they switched to a "more powerful" caliber as a result, at very high cost to the taxpayer.

But people who do this don't take into account two very important facts: 1)all police service caliber handgun bullets are slow and ballistically inferior to rifle bullets, and 2) the bones of the face (particularly the eye sockets) are extremely dense and hard, and are sloped like the armor on the front of a battle tank to deflect injurious blows. If you fire any handgun bullet against these sloping bony surfaces and the angle of incidence is more than a few degrees off perpendicular to the bone surface, the bullet will slide off and tunnel under the skin.

The simple fact is that ALL service caliber handgun bullets are relatively weak missiles, and you have to place your shots into vital structures if you want to stop a felon's violent actions. All manner of circumstances can cause one or two (or even 4) of your bullets to fail to finish the job.

This is why we teach our guys from the Tao of Connor: "Don't shoot your opponent until you think he's dead; shoot him until he thinks he's dead."

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jwp475

Bullet choice is critical in car door penetration in my experience. The 255 grain hard cast +P 45 aACP load by Buffalo Bore at 960 FPS is an excellent penetrator in the the old war horse

No question! Heavy non-JHP bullets will probably do better than JHP's. High velocity 5.7mm bullets will penetrate much better than standard-velocity JHP's.

And you have to keep in mind that LEO's don't have a "bullet choice". They get to shoot what's been issued to them, which will be standard velocity JHP's and which were not chosen for their ability to perforate car doors.

I've edited my earlier post to reflect this realitiy. laugh

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
You mean all of those highway patrolmen carrying .357 Magnums all those years - they will crack an engine block! - were wrong?! shocked grin

I may be confusing things, but isn't the reason Clyde Barrow preferred the .30-06 BAR was because it would shoot through a car?

Jim, as I understand it the early 357 Magnum rounds were hard-cast bullets at obscenely high velocities and pressures (by current SAAMI standards) which were ostensibly designed to shoot through car doors, as a means of addressing the new-fangled bank robbers' modus operandi (escaping from the crime in cars equipped with heavy steel doors of the day!).

And yes, I had heard the same thing about Barrow's choice of the BAR. Apparently, he was not impressed with the ability of the 45 ACP Thompson's ability to shoot through automotive sheet metal, and he was certainly experienced in that field!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The Thompson indeed did and would shoot through car doors of the era.
The only 357 loads that I have chrono'ed of modern manufacture that will match the speeds of 60's and 70's manufactured 357 ammo is by Buffalo Bore. Most factory loaded 357 ammo today shot out of my 357's send the 158 grainers out in the 1200 FPS range. The Buffalo Bore 158's that I chrono'ed are in the 1400 FPS range. A significant step up IMHO and experience

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, a step up indeed! I bought a few boxes of Buffalo Bore's "low flash" 357 Magnum ammo a couple years ago and it's stoutly loaded, all right.

I have about half a case of Super Vel 158 gr 357 Magnum ammo from the early 70's that I shoot a bit of now and then. Out of my 3" M65 it does 1200 fps and out of a 5" 586 it pushes 1400. Fire it in the dark and you're blind for a while!

According to Elmer Keith's writing, the early 357 Mag ammo exceeded even the Super Vel numbers and would shoot a triple-lock 357 MAGNUM revolver loose in relatively short order!

Last edited by DocRocket; 01/01/12. Reason: typo

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 32 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.