Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Generaly how many points do elk develope in the first 2-3yrs? I've got a chance to go on a cull cow/young bull elk hunt? Cows are a $800 bulls are $1200. Culls are 5pts or less. He said cows weigh 4-450lbs and bulls 'depends' is what he said. capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Assuming good feed and genetics, 4 points is possible. Maybe even a real small, scraggly 5 point, depending on how big a bump you want to call a point.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
a basic 4 point is typical of 2 year old bulls, but 5 or more are possible. Will still be a spindly little rack. At 3, there's typically a little more mass and 5 points are pretty common.

Never know what you're gonna get though. This little guy is a 7x7:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by exbiologist; 12/31/11.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Get up into Alberta and those 3 yr olds can have some fairly good sixe 5X5's

350 must be the live weight.2-3 3 yr old bull won't be much bigger,but some. Depends on the forage available.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I've taken a number of 5-point 2 1/2 yr olds, but 6-points, at least in my experience have all been a minimum of 3 1/2. Four points seem somewhat rare altogether.

Feed, genetics, and age produce mass and the most rare 7 or 8 point.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I saw a bull today that was a 5x6 and only 2.5. Tiny little bull, but he had six points. 3.5 year old bulls are noticeably bigger than 2.5 year old bulls, usually solid five points.

It's a crappy picture, but here's what's a pretty normal 2.5 year old bull, with a pretty big 3.5 year old bull.

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Never know what you're gonna get

Very true..My last 5X5 had a huge body more so than some 6X6's..Deliverance comes to mind and proper gene pools.

Nothing is written in stone when it comes to Elk.

Jayco

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here's a picture I took this morning. Lower one is a 2 year old, top bedded is a 3 year old. There's a big difference between them.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The largest bodied elk I ever shot was aged at 9 1/2. She was a dry cow I found alone in some deadfall timber. My partners accused me of abetting her suicide!
I've shot several yearling to 3 year old bulls but none as big as her. The largest bodied bull I've shot was a 360 class 6x6 we drug out with horses and I'd guess he'd give the old cow a run for the money size wise.
Guess it depends on if you want horns or meat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't spit out the citation, but the antlers gathered annually from a bull on the Umatilla Army Depot here in Oregon were progressively heavier until the bull passed 9 yrs.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just killed a spike bull that was #400 hanging.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My pard killed a two year old bull in a less agricultural area and it is smaller in weight....thank god, it was 4 miles deep.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by exbiologist

Never know what you're gonna get though. This little guy is a 7x7:
[Linked Image]

Hey Ex.. - I've NOT seen an elk up-close so take this into consideration.

Our whitetail deer only get mass in the antlers w/age. IF your pic were of a whitetail w/that mass on the main beam, we would
say the buck HAD GREAT POTIENTIAL.

I know I'm only looking at a pic. Would you describe the mass of this 'young' bull in comparrison to an older one.

I also know in deer & elk ALL males are not equal.

From my perspective that 'young' bull had great potiential.

Explain how/why I might be wrong, please.
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That mass isn't particularly remarkable. Typical of a two year old. He probably did have great potential, and I figured he was just a 4 or 5 point run of the mill raggy when I shot him. Had looked over 100 or so elk that morning, and as my partners started putting elk down, I knew my next couple of days were going to be spent packing instead of hunting, so I "settled" on him, even though I told myself I wouldn't shoot anything less than a four year old before the shooting started. His frame is a basic 5 point, with two extras on each side.
Here's an otherwise very similar 5 point raggy with nearly identical mass at the base, but doesn't carry it as far up:
[Linked Image]

Another two year old, with fewer points, from New Mexico, similar mass at the base, similar spindliness up high compared to the last one:
[Linked Image]

This bull, is probably a 3 year old, from Montana, and is considerably heavier, though still just a 5 point:
[Linked Image]

Compare to a 4 old 6 point, which still doesn't have particularly long main beams, but is much more massive in antler, probably twice the diameter of those first two bulls, and step up from the last one. Body size is much greater too:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That little 7 point next to the bigger 6 point:
[Linked Image]
the 6 point in comparison to some 140 and 150 inch whitetails on top of the shelf:
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/richman_mark/Trophies.jpg[/img]

Last edited by exbiologist; 01/01/12.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once again, probably a 4 year old. Note the shortness of the main beams, but much heavier antlers and longer tines until you get the 5th point:
[Linked Image]
Probably a 5 year old bull. Huge body, much longer 4ths, but still short 5ths.
[Linked Image]
Could be a 5 year old, good 5ths, fair mass, similar to that 4 year old that I killed:
[Linked Image]
Probably a 3 year old, note short overall main beams, short tines but decent mass:
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remember, I'm just guessing here, if someone thinks I'm wrong, feel free to jump in.

Probably a 4 year old:
[Linked Image]

Finally found a better pic of that 3 year old Montana 5 point of mine:
[Linked Image]
4 year old 6 point:
[Linked Image]
Dunno, but probably 7 or 8. Significantly longer tines:
[Linked Image]
Probably 10 plus year old bull here. Note good mass, but declining tine length:
[Linked Image]
Maybe another 4 year old with the typically short 5ths:
[Linked Image]
Those two little raggies next to the 4 year old again:
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/richman_mark/P1040536.jpg[/img]
Could be 7:
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/richman_mark/IMG_1178-1-1.jpg[/img]
Could be 6, but might only b 5:
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/richman_mark/Colorado-doug-elk018-1-1.jpg[/img]

Last edited by exbiologist; 01/01/12.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thank Ex.. Great Pics All.

In the first post response, the pic with the little 7 INSIDE the bigger 6 SAYS ALOT...put things in perspective.

From original pic of 'little 7', I could see he had a small body, but the mass looked LARGER on his SMALL body.

I've really enjoyed your pics of the past in other threads TOOOO.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it very much.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6 or 7 maybe:
[Linked Image]
Probably 6 or 7 here too:
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwall
Thank Ex.. Great Pics All.

In the first post response, the pic with the little 7 INSIDE the bigger 6 SAYS ALOT...put things in perspective.

From original pic of 'little 7', I could see he had a small body, but the mass looked LARGER on his SMALL body.

I've really enjoyed your pics of the past in other threads TOOOO.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it very much.

Jerry

No prob. Like I said these are just guesses, but yeah, when you see a 2 year old next to a 3 and then 4 year old, the significant jumps in antler development are much more obvious

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
How old would you all say this bull was? 3 years old?

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,810
Posts18,477,583
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.