Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I asked this question in the AR section but haven,t got much response.
I am interested in a lightweight Ar in 223 caliber.
6 1/2 pounds or less with somewhere between a 18 and 22 inch barrel.capable of 2 inch or less accuracy at a hundred yards with Factory ammo using Barnes bullets.Would like to spend a $1,000 or less on it . Easily scoped .Does such a beast exist ?
Thanks

Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Kimber Montana.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Stag lower/RRA 16 inch coyote carbine upper is light as hell and shoots that good, or close enough, and Im doubtin it over 6.5 lbs

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Kimber Montana.

Travis

funny

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Yeah, but you'll have a hard time spending $1,000 on it.

I've been researching exactly the same question. The possible answers come down to an AR-15, the Ranch Rifle, and the Kel-Tec SU-16C.

The AR-15 is very versatile. You can pop the upper off and switch to a different cartridge. You can stick stuff all over it so that it snags on everything. It's the most popular solution, very much in fashion. It has a couple of drawbacks. One is the high price. Another is the gas impingement system that lets propellant gas back into the mechanism.

The Ranch Rifle, Mini-14, is semi auto and inexpensive, but suffers in the accuracy department. 3-6" groups at 100 yard seems to be the norm. In my mind, that rules out this alternative.

My choice is the Kel Tec SU-16C. One reviewer put a scope on his and got 1" groups. Others report 2-3" groups, depending on ammunition, with iron sights.

The mechanism uses a piston to operate the action. That keeps propellant gas out of the action.

The stock folds under for easy storage and transport. And it's very light, a little under 5 pounds.

I've watched videos on how to disassemble it, and it is a very slick design. It takes down without a tool. I really admire the engineering that went into it.

It is, and always will be, a 5.56 rifle. The bad news is that you can't change it. The good news is that you don't pay for the versatility. And a new AR-15 upper in 6.5 Grendel costs as much as a separate rifle anyway.

As compared with earlier models, the SU-16C has a couple of good improvements. The sights are much better than earlier models. The barrel is 16", and a little heavier contour. Best of all, you don't have to remove and keep track of a pin to fold the stock. It just snap locks in position and is folded by releasing a catch.

Price locally is $540.

So I got a killer deal on some Nosler bullets, and just bought a grundle of virgin Lake City brass, and am in the final phases of choosing where I will buy mine and what kind of optics I'll put on it.

If you're really wanting an AR-15, the Bushmaster Carbon model can be had for as little as $625.

Last edited by denton; 01/03/12.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My FIL is always on the lookout for a better 'yote rifle. I tried to get him to try my AR but he won't do it. It looks too military. I think he's afraid his old-fashioned, stuck-in-the-mud huntin' buddies will give him grief over it. That's stupid! The AR makes an awesome dog gun. If we can't hit a runnin' 'yote with an AR with 30 rds on tap, ain't no manually-operated gun that's gonna help. Right now he's shootin' a bolt-action 17HMR, which I hear some experienced guys say isn't enough gun for 'yotes. He better be real good and make the first one count cause them things don't run slow in front of a pack of hounds.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
White Oak Armament...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The new series Mini-14 shoot under 2" at 100, at least the ones I've seen and heard about.

I bought a Tactical last year, and it does fine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used Mini-14's for two decades in Law Enforcement, ownwed one for over 15 years, and will never own another one: Too heavy is my main reason. AR's are also heavy and not ergonomic, I own 7 of them, and don't love any of them.

My Kel-tec is loved by everyone who uses it. Light, accurate enough, and affordable.

Last edited by siskiyous6; 01/03/12.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another vote for the Kel-Tek, I have the SU-16A and a PLR 16, really like both of them.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Got my SU16C this afternoon... good deal, too.

Range report to follow.

Trying to decide on the right optics. Natchez has the Nikon ProStaff 4x32 on closeout for $70, and I almost had it bought before I realized it was the rimfire model. Oh well. I'll find something light.

It's light, it's simple, it folds, and in a pinch it shoots while folded. The stock is a little on the short side, which is OK for me and wonderful for the grandkids.

Be not weary in well doing.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
BC, I am going through the same decision as well. I did kill a nice doe with a friend's JP AR-15. I need my own. Maybe look into a plum crazy polymer lower for $119, then a $400 dpms upper. That should put you way under $1000, by the way the lower I mentioned is complete.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mini 14 tactical is what you want.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My Mini Tactical weighs 6.5 pounds bare rifle. How much lighter does one need?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
BC you need to go look at a Remington R-15 Preditor carbine either the telescoping butt model or fixed are 6 3/4 lbs. The AR market is a little slow right now and a better deal can be had on these. I have in recent months had the chance at several below $1000. I have the longer barreled rifle but the Preditor is a lighter wt and shorter barreled one set up for calling coyotes and they shoot good.Another thought is to watch the Cabelas sales cause they been running some lower end Bushmaster models out in the $600 range. Make sure you get a flattop model for good scope mounting and resaleability. Scopes mounted on the sight bridge of a stock AR are a pain in the azz to use unless you got a real long neck. Hi cap Ruger mags are spendy as hell and AR mags are eveywhere for $15 or less. The tubular forend on R-15 are drilled and tapped for picatinny accessory rails to hold a Lazer sight or a surefire flashlight.Good luck Magnum Man

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The S&W Sport is 6.5 pounds or lighter, and is also quite affordable right now. And it is an 8 twist barrel.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by GregW
White Oak Armament...

As far as I am concerned this is definitely the way to go!

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
[Linked Image]

smile

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What is that thing??!!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Found it on AR15... Think it was a turned down tube and careful selection of parts...

Will try and find post.. I always thought a 5# AR in anything close to a deer round above 22 cal would rock...

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (44mc, anothergun, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, AceBall, 14 invisible), 1,652 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,831
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.