Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tbear Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
As a country kid growing up in the mountains of rural Virginia in the 40's we had the little house out back as they were called in polite company then. When we went to visit my grandmother in a small mill town all the houses had out houses. The town provided sanitation trucks & workers to pump out the outhouses. Workers were called honeydippers. I was told that if I didn't study in school I would end up being a honeydipper. Any other old timers remember trips to the outhouse on a cold rainy day? Then there was always the possibility of bugs & the occasional snake. A neighbor man got bit by a spider in a private area & almost died. As a young kid I always wondered what the private area really was. When we went to the low country in SC to visit relatives there was a small room with a slop jar for use at night. Never knew who had the privilege of dumping the honey pots. In the early 50's it seemed as though modern plumbing had reached rural areas & outhouses & honeydippers disappeared. Maybe some of these honeydippers moved to DC & became politicians.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just knowing the term honeydipper makes me feel old....

And knowing what a sears catalog feels like wadded up doesn't help either... wink

My folks always told me if i didnt do well in school, I'd be a Ditch Digger.....they never told me Ditch Diggers made $35 an hour! shocked

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Many outposts in 'Nam had nothing but outhouses. The first place I worked was under an Army General and the Officer's Privy was a four-holer! The....stuff accumulated in half-barrels and once a week a crew of misfits and soldiers on punishment had to gather up the barrels, mix the contents well with diesel fuel and burn it off - stirring it the whole time. The miserable sods ALWAYS managed to pick the upwind side of the camp to do it, too.

Regress about 20 years. My earliest years were on a farm. One day when I was nearly four, Grampa hadn't been seen for a worrisome amount of time. My mother sent me out to find him. I discovered him in the outhouse, and I thought he was asleep. He wasn't.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My brother was an airline mechanic that became a modern day honeydipper for a little side work.

A year later he quit his job and does his business full time.

I'm going to tell my kids to skip law school and pump schit! Those guys make a killing!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
tbear Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Our politicans have been doing this for so long smile.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
we have to have our tank at camp pumped every year. It's about $175 per trip.

On the side of his truck it says "your crap is our bread and butter" smile

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have a company locally here who's motto is "We're number one at number two".

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
With a job like that, you don't have to worry about getting outsourced and when a customer calls it's usually a rush job and price is no concern. Also no one wants to watch you work and shoot the breeze.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 10fingers
With a job like that, you don't have to worry about getting outsourced and when a customer calls it's usually a rush job and price is no concern. Also no one wants to watch you work and shoot the breeze.

Exactly, and God help you if you call on a holiday/Sunday.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
tbear Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Saw a septic tank pumper in NC that said "WE TAKE YOUR CRAP".

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Many outposts in 'Nam had nothing but outhouses. The first place I worked was under an Army General and the Officer's Privy was a four-holer!

Considering the theme of this thread, you might have chosen better words to describe that job! shocked

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tbear
Saw a septic tank pumper in NC that said "WE TAKE YOUR CRAP".

Yea, a job like that would keep me down in the dumps...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My cousin's grandfather was a hoarder of the wrappers that peaches were lugged in.

Anyone who hasn't read Capstick's account of the Bwana blowing up the crapper is missing something in their life.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Our local septic pumper's slogan is " Satisfaction Guaranteed or your Honey Back"

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Our politicans have been doing this for so long

No. They leave crap, they don't take it away.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roof
Our local septic pumper's slogan is " Satisfaction Guaranteed or your Honey Back"

These guys have a sense of humour.

have to, I guess...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ColdBore - you didn't know that general. Trust me, that post was like one huge outhouse, and he was certainly over it dispensing his "authority" to one and all.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Don't know if it still does, but some time ago a pump truck in a small local town had written on the side "We haul milk on Sundays"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Watched a guy pumping out my neighbors a few years ago from a safe distance, and he over filled the truck causing it to spray out the top seal of the truck. The operator was a little rank by the time he stopped the pump....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The....stuff accumulated in half-barrels and once a week a crew of misfits and soldiers on punishment had to gather up the barrels, mix the contents well with diesel fuel and burn it off - stirring it the whole time. The miserable sods ALWAYS managed to pick the upwind side of the camp to do it, too.

You ain't the only one with memories of that Rocky!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (808outdoors, 338Rules, 38HBWC, 35, 8 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,022
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.