Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Holland & Holland or Rigby..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It may seem silly, but you first need to define what you consider as high quality. To me high quality means a combination of accuracy and dependability in adverse conditions. Fit and finish may look nice, but honestly it has little to do with how well the rifle functions on a hard hunt.

Many "quality" rifles chit the bed when used in adverse conditions. I'd say one of the most vulnerable areas of a rifle when it comes to functioning in adverse conditions is the trigger. Overly complex trigger designs are apt to lock up when exposed to water and debri.

So to me many "quality" rifles that work perfectly well in a tree stand or hunting blind aren't worth a hoot when hunting in wet and especially marine environments.

Finally, if money isn't an object I'd say look beyond factory rifles and consider having a custom built to your specs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RS308MX
hanco, a stroll down memory lane? smile

He just wanted to think on it for a while before giving an answer. whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Paul_M
hanco, a stroll down memory lane? smile

He just wanted to think on it for a while before giving an answer. whistle

Four years should do it!! grin

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I wonder if anyone who shared their opinion four years ago would give a different answer today?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Weatherby

Yeah! This is the one.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by deerhunternc
Basically, if money was no object (Not that this will ever be the case with me), what brand of factory built rifle would you guys prefer? I am only asking this because I do not know much about many of the brands that are a little lesser known. More or less the only brands that I know anything about are Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, and Savage. I would like to know about which brands you all think are the highest quality brands whether you believe the brands I listed are in this group or not. I am only 19 and I only own one hunting rifle (A Remington 7mm for deer hunting) but I just want to gain a little knowledge of some of the higher quality rifle brands that are becoming more popular with the hunting population as a whole and I figured some of you guys that have been hunting a little longer than I have could share a little information with me. Thank-you.

Your ask is too general, you might try setting some parameters so that a concise answer can be given.

After all, a Rigby for rabbits is not really what one is looking for...be fun though.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Basically, if money was no object (Not that this will ever be the case with me), what brand of factory built rifle would you guys prefer? I am only asking this because I do not know much about many of the brands that are a little lesser known. More or less the only brands that I know anything about are Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, and Savage. I would like to know about which brands you all think are the highest quality brands whether you believe the brands I listed are in this group or not. I am only 19 and I only own one hunting rifle (A Remington 7mm for deer hunting) but I just want to gain a little knowledge of some of the higher quality rifle brands that are becoming more popular with the hunting population as a whole and I figured some of you guys that have been hunting a little longer than I have could share a little information with me. Thank-you.

Your ask is too general, you might try setting some parameters so that a concise answer can be given.

After all, a Rigby for rabbits is not really what one is looking for...be fun though.

Don't expect a reply. He ain't been online here since 12/16/2012.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Don't expect a reply. He ain't been online here since 12/16/2012.

It is 5.20am and I did not take time to check.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
JB is right , hanco ,you do dig for some old threads, must be cabin fever already!!!!!!!!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Winchester 70

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Here's what I look for in a hunting rifle:
Accuracy: speaks for itself
Handling: comes to shoulder naturally
Ergonomics: essential features are easy to use and find
Light weight: within reason 6.5 lbs is ideal to me
Good adjustable trigger: self-explanatory
Good caliber selection: not interested in wildcats or those I can't find ammo for
Good fit of parts

My choice based on the above is Tikka.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
4 Year old thread!
crazy

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Riflesinc.com, Lex Webernick in Pleasanton, Tx or MG Arms in Spring Tx.

Small factories, both.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot of the answers are those brands that produce thousands each year and many can be bought under $1000.

In my mind there is a sort of a middle tier of brands that cost about double that and includes the Weatherby, Tikka, some of the specialized Remington models like the Sendero, some others.

I think if you double that cost again you get into a class that produces far fewer rifles each year. I'd put CZ, HS Precision, Nosler, into that class. More that I haven't thought of yet.

'Best' is a very subjective term.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ironbender
4 Year old thread!
crazy

Still relevant though.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
At least as relevant as a lot of threads!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

There is that.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

311 members (10Glocks, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,842
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.