Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
OP Offline
D
Basically, if money was no object (Not that this will ever be the case with me), what brand of factory built rifle would you guys prefer? I am only asking this because I do not know much about many of the brands that are a little lesser known. More or less the only brands that I know anything about are Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, and Savage. I would like to know about which brands you all think are the highest quality brands whether you believe the brands I listed are in this group or not. I am only 19 and I only own one hunting rifle (A Remington 7mm for deer hunting) but I just want to gain a little knowledge of some of the higher quality rifle brands that are becoming more popular with the hunting population as a whole and I figured some of you guys that have been hunting a little longer than I have could share a little information with me. Thank-you.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MRC, Dakota, Winchester, Kimber and CZ.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Weatherby

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Money no object , Empire or Dakota

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Welcome to the forum. Good question. I personally like rifles made with Remington Model 700 receivers. (Even with money not being an object.)

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
And of course Sako

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MRC, Dakota, Winchester, Kimber Those are high on my list, but I really like CRF.

I actually like Ruger a lot as well, not the smoothest actions or finest wood or other features, but built like a tank and simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blaser or Merkel .

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ruger offers some solid value with their hawkeye m77 rifle, and it's built here...

Sako deserves a mention when quality rifles are being discussed... and don't forget their sister line, Tikka...

check out the Forbes rifle... it's a production grade copy of the NULA custom...

with those you already mentioned, these make for a pretty good list to consider...
there are others that are out of production, but are terrific values, such as the FN Brownings...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by deerhunternc
Basically, if money was no object (Not that this will ever be the case with me), what brand of factory built rifle would you guys prefer? I am only asking this because I do not know much about many of the brands that are a little lesser known. More or less the only brands that I know anything about are Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, and Savage. I would like to know about which brands you all think are the highest quality brands whether you believe the brands I listed are in this group or not. I am only 19 and I only own one hunting rifle (A Remington 7mm for deer hunting) but I just want to gain a little knowledge of some of the higher quality rifle brands that are becoming more popular with the hunting population as a whole and I figured some of you guys that have been hunting a little longer than I have could share a little information with me. Thank-you.

We were all were in that position at one time.

The bottom line is just about every major,long lived brand of rifles makes perfectly good hunting arms. Truly.

Sure, some turds get out the door from time to time, but that happens with any brand. The important thing is you get a rifle that suits YOU.

I advise handling and shooting as many of your top choices as possible. Then make a choice that fits your budget.

FWIW,the Remington m700(?) in a 7mm cartridge as you now own is many folks idea of the ideal bolt actioned hunting rifle.

Happy hunting!

Last edited by jim62; 01/04/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dollar for dollar.....CZ

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My safe has a mixed bag from most of the major makers. They all have the pros and cons, all have their place. Thought about selling off a few to fund something new, but couldn't think of what one I'd really like to get rid of.

Next factory rifle I plan on buying will be a Ruger Hawkeye in .204 Ruger or a Kimber Classic Select in .257 Roberts. My preference is classic lined stocks and wood/blued.

Like others have said, buy what you like, what feels right to you, not what others say is the best.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nosler custom

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
money no object and anything I want? it would be Savage and Ruger.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Winchester.

The original international turd
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cooper.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pleases me to see the American made rifles getting mention.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mako25
Pleases me to see the American made rifles getting mention.

For sure. And I would cast another vote for Kimber being as I am the proud owner of both Cooper and Kimber. Really great rifles.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Cooper.
I sat at a campfire with Ken Howell and he changed my mind on Cooper rifles.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Mosin

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,516
Posts18,472,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.