Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think there is more to it than we know. Not blaming the OP. I think I would have ordered it online or gave them a CC.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like to buy local. Where am I gonna go to to get a look at the new Ruger bolt?

Have an A1 Day!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You beat me to it, and I certainly wouldn't waste a personal visit on it. The store can be as fickle as it chooses, and so can I.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps they had a rash of bad experiences lately that stimulated a change in policy. Get burned 2 or 3 times and I know I will change my tune.

My wife worked in an electrican/appliance shop and had almost monthly stories of orders made for loyal customers that suddenly changed their minds. It's tough to get rid of a burgandy refrigerator or stove, and two way shipping does not typically increase profits.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/05/12.

1Minute
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Go talk to them and then decide how you want to proceed.
Maybe everybody was having a bad hair day.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I woulda just said "Oh, OK" and went ahead and paid the deposit. On the scale of things, it hardly seems like something to get wound up about.

JMHO,

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
+1; great advice

Last edited by rflshtr; 01/04/12.
BikerRN Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'll pick up the last gun, already paid in full, and probably never grace thier door again or recommend them. The rubber stocks were for the gun I'm waiting for, that they were aware of.

I have seen the store change over the years, to three times the price of another FFL's transfer fee, refusing to be the receiver of Glock pistols because he's a Glock dealer and wants you to buy from him, to having an attitude of not caring if you buy or not as someone else will. There are enough people in and out the door that if you don't buy it rest assured somebody will be filling out a 4473 for that item.

One of the reasons I like to frequent local businesses is for the personalized service. If I want impersonal I can get that from the internet and probably a lot cheaper to boot. I'm not foolish enough to think that my purchase of a set of rubber stocks for the already paid for revolver will make or break them. The gun I paid for, but am waiting on, is the one I wanted the stocks for. Since they are unwilling to do that I'll just take my business elsewhere and recommend others do the same.

Even with shipping and transfer fees I can get things cheaper online. Lots of businesses talk about "support your local stores" but when push comes to shove they make it hard to do so by thier attitude and lack of personal service. I have a local Gunsmith I use that is known for his work, more than one in fact. While I may have to wait my place in line to get guns worked on, I've always appreciated the personal service and attention to detail. That is a factor that seems to be lacking in this store. By the way, these 'smiths don't ask me for a deposit, or accept one, when I drop something off to be worked on and they are famous names. In some places a man's word is still good I'm glad to see.

BikerRN

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Not sure why you bothered to post in the first place then, asking for opinions. confused

Turns out there was a long festering wound there, and your initial post didn't reveal all of the background.

Sounds like your mind was already made up, and you just wanted somebody to validate it for you.

Go pick up your gun and move on....

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would ask if there's been a recent policy change you've been caught up in. It's kind of like using the same gas station that requires you to pay before you pump. You deal with them long enough (paying cash) and most of the time I've seen the clerk turn on the pump and say go ahead over the intercomm. Then the new person shows up behind the counter and you've got to walk in. Me, I use my debit card.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Methinks he doth protest too much.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BikerRN

I'd like to get the opinion of the group.

I have a LGS that I have dealth with for over 25+ years and they know who I am when I call and know me by name when I go in. This year alone I have bought three guns from them.

Anyway, I called and asked them to order me a set of grips, a less than $50 item, for a gun. They have ordered stuff for me in the past with no issues. This time they wanted me to come in and make a deposit. From all indications they aren't losing money, as guns are flying off the shelves, and they have done this for me in the past and I have always paid for the items I requested.

When I got done, and phone routed to the Manager, whom I also have known for years, I was a bit torqued and considering not ever doing business there again or recommending them.

I am a repeat customer, have ordered stuff from them in the past, and never not paid for what I've requested. I have also sent multiple sales thier way, five .41 Magnum N-Frames, without a lock, alone in the past couple of years, and bring people to thier door. I'm loyal and request the same from them. I consider it like a slap in the face to be asked to drive down and "make a deposit" on such a small item. I called Pacmayer myself and ordered them.

I'm thinking of never gracing thier door again. What say you? I have another local FFL that handles all my transfers and buy most of my better guns online but I usually give them the chance to match a price and if they come close, before taxes, I generally buy from them.

Biker

I would have ordered them myself to begin with. I have purchased guns from most of the Gun Stores in my area and if i want to order something they won't order without a deposit and they know me well when i visit their stores.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
refusing to be the receiver of Glock pistols because he's a Glock dealer

I can certainly understand that thought. I would never ask an FFL to receive something for me that he has available in his store. To me, it brings to mind the story of the guy who takes his own oil into the dealer for an oil change and expects a discount. The dealer then visits the customers restaurant where he orders ham and eggs, and hands the waiter 2 eggs.

Similarly, the FFl's I deal with have no issues handling a Sharps or some exotic arm that they don't carry.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/05/12.

1Minute
BikerRN Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just to clarify:

I've never had this dealer do a transfer for me as his prices are a might higher than the going rate. I think he does this to discourage transfers.

I merely used the Glock example as a way of pointing out some of the policies. He will do a transfer on Ruger, S&W, Colt, Kimber, and various other makes and he carries all of them too.

Biker

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
So, without reading all the posts, are you getting the same suggestions here as on the North American Hunting Club forum?

This space for rent

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

I have a LGS that I have dealth with for over 25+ years and they know who I am when I call and know me by name when I go in. This year alone I have bought three guns from them.

Anyway, I called and asked them to order me a set of grips, a less than $50 item, for a gun. They have ordered stuff for me in the past with no issues. This time they wanted me to come in and make a deposit. From all indications they aren't losing money, as guns are flying off the shelves, and they have done this for me in the past and I have always paid for the items I requested.

When I got done, and phone routed to the Manager, whom I also have known for years, I was a bit torqued and considering not ever doing business there again or recommending them.

I am a repeat customer, have ordered stuff from them in the past, and never not paid for what I've requested. I have also sent multiple sales thier way, five .41 Magnum N-Frames, without a lock, alone in the past couple of years, and bring people to thier door. I'm loyal and request the same from them. I consider it like a slap in the face to be asked to drive down and "make a deposit" on such a small item. I called Pacmayer myself and ordered them.

I'm thinking of never gracing thier door again. What say you? I have another local FFL that handles all my transfers and buy most of my better guns online but I usually give them the chance to match a price and if they come close, before taxes, I generally buy from them.

Biker

I bet you go into an epileptic seizure when someone asks 'Plastic or paper'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Times are hard a their trying to stay in business. Lots of people order stuff and lose their job and just walk away from it. I can't blame a small business owner for protecting himself.

NRA Lifetime Member
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Biker

My, my, aren't we special.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Acting like a little child who stamps his feet and tells his Mommy that he is going to hold his breath until he turns blue in the face. It is the dealer's perogative to run his business how he choses, never have understood the reasoning behind making the threat to take your business elsewhere. Just shut up and do it if things don't please you, telling the dealer that you're doing that just shows lack of respect for his right to run his business how he chooses. The fact that one is a regular customer shouldn't make him an exception to the rule.

Last edited by gunswizard; 01/05/12.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Tellem to fugoff

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (160user, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 1minute, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,902
Posts18,498,107
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.