-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
OP Offline
O
Just got what I think is good deal on this rifle($450 canadian). Im not exactly sure what year or model it is. Wondered if you guys could help me out. Its a 308 win(less than 100 rounds thru it). serial numer is G1160xxx. Dont have it in hand waiting on mr mailman,, pictures I recieved makes it look like its in excellent shape. Just curious on age and model and ballpark value?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by outdoorfool; 01/04/12.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your M70 was made in 1974, it is an improved version of the Post-64 pushfeed; (has all the post-68 mechanical enhancements - bolt guide lug, improved pins, fit, finish, etc.) and the 1972 stock improvements (cut checkering, much improved fit), it is a pre-XTR model.

Ps Anymore values are all over the place, I see guns like you bought with asking prices from $350.00 to $700.00 USD - I would pay $400 - $500 USD if I wanted the gun. It appears to be in nice shape, but is small in the pictures - post some bigger ones when you get it.

Last edited by Odessa; 01/05/12.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks for the info!

Im assuming it wouldnt hurt the value of this particular rifle if I did a few modifications. Recoil pad, float/bed, trigger job?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by outdoorfool
Thanks for the info!

Im assuming it wouldnt hurt the value of this particular rifle if I did a few modifications. Recoil pad, float/bed, trigger job?
It will kill any future collector value, assuming that these guns will have a following 50 years from now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cartod
Thanks for the info!

It will kill any future collector value, assuming that these guns will have a following 50 years from now.

Cartod, Probably correct about the value 50 years from now, but my approach to that is to let my children wail about the loss in value at the estate sale - fix it up to suit you and use it now. Those guns are users, not collectors (unless they are rare variations, i.e., a .225 WIN, a .458 WIN MAG, etc.) and even those are really not high considering the price of a new equivalent quality modern rifle.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Post 64 mannlichers (made in 69-70) are fast becoming very collectible and prices are going into orbit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forgot about those - any of the small batch post-64 M70's like them and calibers that had short lifespans are going to go up out of proportion to the run of the mill guns.

Archibald Rutledge

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks for the info guys,, it is very much appreciated! This is going to be a hunting rifle not just taking up space in the cabinet. Actually I purchased it for a gift for my nephews 12th birthday.. I think it will make a good first deer rifle for him. Now I just need to find some glass for it, and develop an accurate load.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The post64 M70s in 222 Rem seem to have a following, one
of the guys on this website has a post 64 M70 in .35 Rem.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info guys,, it is very much appreciated! This is going to be a hunting rifle not just taking up space in the cabinet. Actually I purchased it for a gift for my nephews 12th birthday.. I think it will make a good first deer rifle for him. Now I just need to find some glass for it, and develop an accurate load.

You are welcome and congrats to the nephew - he is mighty fortunate to have an uncle like you. Check out the Redfield Revolution riflescopes being made by Leupold in Oregon - I have one on a Marlin levergun and it is an awful lot of glass for the money (roughly $150 USD), plus backed by Leupold's warranty service.

Archibald Rutledge

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It looks like an M70 Deluxe to me.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
O
OP Offline
O
Nephew is a good kid. Unfortunately or fotunately.. depending how you look at it with no father figure in his life. So I dont mind being the one to set him up with outdoor gear. I gave him a decent semi-auto shotgun for xmas. And every year he comes for my week long fishing trip in the summer.

One of the local sporting goods chains had leupold vxIIs 3-9x40 on sale for 40% off. So I picked one of those up for this rifle today. Just need some rings and bases for it and should be good to go!

Would this particular year rifle have a trigger that is workable or am I looking at picking up a timney for it?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Would this particular year rifle have a trigger that is workable or am I looking at picking up a timney for it?

Adjusting the older M70's trigger is easy. Use Google. However, some may not adjust below 3 lbs. and some may have a bit of creep, but nothing that you can't live with. I keep all of mine adjusted to 2.75-3 lbs and can't tell the difference from rifle to rifle.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
VX-II is a great choice in my opinion, a step above the scope I recommended (I own both). The trigger in M70's made prior to the current version are very easily adjusted by way of two nuts; you can do it yourself or if you are uncomfortable doing it a gunsmith can adjust it quickly and easily.

Rangr44, it's not a Deluxe, they where only offered from 65 to 68 in a pressed checkering style and from 69 to 71 in cut checkering with ebony tip, and in 72 and 73 re-branded as the re-introduced Super Grade, but never in a .308 WIN. Now if you find a Deluxe/Super Grade (either type) in a .225 WIN grab it - that would be a valuable post-64.

Archibald Rutledge

O
OP Offline
O
Well picked this rifle up at the post office yesterday morning. Get home open the box and it looked like a brand new rifle,, not a mark on the wood or blueing. Get the vice out, bore guide, 1 piece rod, jags and some wipeout. Run a couple wet patches thru it and let it sit. Couple hours later run a half a dozen dry patches thru to get the fouling out. Take a look down the barrel and my heart sank! Had an inch and a half long scratch that goes across 2 of the lands. Call the seller immediately since he offered a 3 day inspection/return offer. Its going back to him today!

So the dilemna of what to get the nephew now. I take a look at the winchester website,, and low and behold what do I see. Winchesters Shot show special is a featherweight in 257 roberts. Call the gun dealer who I usually deal with, I have his personal cell number. He answers and I say Clay,, whats the chances you can get me Winchesters shot show special.. He says Gary,, im in vegas right now and I ordered 3 of them. When they arrive Ill pick out the one with the nicest wood and its yours.. I should have got one for myself!

Last edited by outdoorfool; 01/19/12.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,943
Posts18,480,152
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.