Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
DOO Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Is there a better way to carry your binos than the Crooked Horn system? Thanks Doo

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What size bins?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
DOO Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
10x42 swarros

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been using the Crooked Horn system for 4 or 5 year now (Elk hunting in CO and deer hunting in SD, OK and TX and I've been pretty happy with the harness. The S4 GearLockdown harness also looks useable as well.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just bought the S4Lockdown yesterday and will try them this weekend. I have used the Crooked Horn for several years and while they are better than mere original equipment straps, they frustrated me in several ways. The lockdowns should keep water off binos better, have no stretch tension when lifted to look through and they seem to ride tighter with less flop. Have not field tested yet however.

Due to our incessant rain, I have a hunch I may enlarge the top flap of the lockdown system eventually.

The Lockdwon has a fair amount of adjustment to fit different size binos. I took my Nikons into the store and we adjusted them to fit both the binos and my bod before I bought.

Last edited by Okanagan; 01/05/12.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DOO
10x42 swarros

Gotchya.

I prefer an under-the-arm carry when hiking... but I use smaller bins.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Duane,

Crooked Horn for me as well. I've used it for everything from 8x30's to 10x56's.

Ed T

S
S
I used the Alaskan Guide Binocular pouch this year. It worked well for me. It has 3 extra pockets to carry some supplies- camera, small rangefinder, etc. Was comfortable, but a pain to take on and off (just like the bino harnesses are) when changing outer layers.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bookstore/binocular_pouch.htm

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I tried the S$ and like the case, but the harnes was uncomftorble and felt like someone was pushing my head down! I would like a light-weight cover that prevents my binos from flopping, but for now I guess it is the Bino Harness.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try the set from Rick Young outdoors. I really like mine. Similar to Crooked horn but better in many ways. Weigh less, hold tighter, no slip, no stretch. Made in USA.

http://rickyoungoutdoors.com/other-products/ryo-ultra-light-bino-harness/

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I also use the Bino Chest Pack offered by Jaret Owens of Alaska Guide Creations. The only downside is the "on and off" with layered clothing, but I'm not aware of anything any better.

Very convenient in conjunction with a standard bino neck strap. If adjusted properly, the binos will literally drop into the chest pack.

P.S. I also have the 10x42 Swaros and BTW, Jaret is a good guy to deal with and talk to.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I usually put the bino harness under my outer layer, so I can take off my outer shell easily and also cover binos to prevent sounds of other gear bumping them, etc. Ideal features vary with changes in temps, humidity, rain or snow conditions, whether still hunting, stalking, sitting on a stand, etc.

Like Brad, I have carried binos slung under one arm. A small camera case with a strap angled over one shoulder works well for that use. I use that method more for predator calling. Under one arm gives some rain protection, is out of the way of bumping calls and other gear and is quick on and off.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DOO
Is there a better way to carry your binos than the Crooked Horn system? Thanks Doo

Are you asking this in the context of backpack hunting or hunting in general? My answer changes. Generally for hunting with a pack, I put the big 'nocs in the pack and carry a pair of mini-'nocs in my shirt or jacket pocket. I find all of the camera/binoc systems inconvenient w/ a pack on.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another fan of the Alaska Guide Creations bino chest pack. Hold everything you need for a final stalk without having to dig through and load it up. Knife, rangefinder, optics cloths, tags/license, cliff bar, and of course binos. The easiest and fastest system I have used yet. IMO beat the crooked horn system I tried by a lot. Keep binos drier longer. Not the lighest sure, but ease of use and protection they allow more than makes up for it over other systems I have used.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used the S4 this season for backpacking and still hunting. Its a great concept but I found them to be very noisy when pulling them out for use. They also seemed to flop around more that I expected (not nearly as bad as bino-harness). I recently p/u the Sitka bino bivi but only used during still hunting. I tried some light jogging and they definitely hold to the chest better than the S4.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Went old school this year. Simply made the padded straps that came with my EO Rangers short enough to just get over my head. Kept them close to my chest, made access easy and didn't pull on my neck like I thought they would. Surprised me! Got tired of my crooked horns getting constantly lower.

D
DOO Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The Alaska guide rig looks like it would interfear while bow hunting. is this true or not ,appears that my bow string could get hooked.?? Thanks doo

???

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Public landowner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used the S4Lockdown system for three days just ended, and was disappointed.

We were hunting big predators in steep snow mountains, usually short but often strenuous forays out from a vehicle to follow tracks a ways or set up a calling stand. I wore the binos in the S4 over a shirt or shirt and vest, with sometimes an outer layer of fleece over all.

My main complaint is that the top of the binocs lean out from my chest. The top rides well out away from body and only the bottom is snugged tight. That is weird. I think binocs carried this way would be in the way while still hunting in a slow walk on rough ground, which I do quite a bit.

IMO the straps around the body are designed wrong. They connect to the wrong part of the bino holder. They clip to the bottom, and they should clip to the top to pull it in and hold it close to the chest. The only other change I would try is to make the over flap on top larger to give more rain protection. Since I now own these, I will modify them to clip the straps higher and see if that will hold the binocs flat to my chest instead of sticking out in front like an angled shelf.

Another minor annoyance is that the S4 is so complicated with straps, cords and hooks etc. that it is aggravating to use binos attached to it if it is not strapped in place on the chest. I often lay binocs on a vehicle seat and pick them up to glass out the window. That's a hassle with S4. They are super easy to unclip from the S4 harness however and from now on that is what I will do while the binocs are in the vehicle, so it is not a make or break feature either way, just FYI.

S4 looks like a good concept to me but isn't yet executed as well as it could be.

Last edited by Okanagan; 01/10/12.
A
A
I have the Alaskan guide pouch for my 13X56 and love it. I don't take my 13X56 out without it. It took a couple of hikes to get used to it on my chest in steep terrain but I don't go without it now!

Last edited by AZShawn; 01/10/12.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 1941USMC, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,886
Posts18,518,273
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.