Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Battue: You are certainly correct that the second season starts after deer is done. For some reason, I always think of it as that month that follows Christmas.
Happy to see that you had success.
That four birds after three hours is pretty much what the Game Comm. reports for grouse in PA....about one an hour.
Sigh.
Pete

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
Karl Wallenda
GB1

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Not sure where Dutch Mt. is, however we usually have a much better flush rate up in the NW part of PA. Long drive home if we don't stay at a Bud's camp or motel.

Around home you have to gun your covers with an eye for tomorrow, but there are enough places to move around. However, posted land is a problem that gets bigger each day around home.

Give Belle an ear rub and good luck.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It takes a fast spot shooter to kill ruffed grouse in thick cover - congrats !

People are still amazed I hunted and shot those things, of course the first couple you hear explode on take off then to scare the crap out of you. AAfter that you start remembering to start pulling up. Now you are using a dog. - That's cheating!

Awful fun though.

Spot

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Look at the Bird and hit the trigger is about all you can do most of the time. Let hands and brain do the calculations. Much like Yogi Berra's reply to the question:
"What are you thinking about, when getting ready to hit a pitch?" His reply was: "How can you think and hit at the same time?�

Ya a Dog helps, but a flushing Cocker/Springer doesn't allow one the leisure of strolling up to a point.

Since I don't hear as well as in years past, they don't scare me like they used to. But that isn't a good thing. cry

Last edited by battue; 12/24/11.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'd be using a dog if I. Had been lucky enough to have one back then. I guess you know how I got my login name now.

I agree they're tough to hunt, enjoy em !

Mike

IC B2

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
They are not all that tough to hunt when their numbers are up. When down, they make few mistakes.

As far as the hitting, easy shots are not all that uncommon; however for most of us, it is just something you have to do a lot to get a hold of the handle, and it can easily slip away and leave one wondering where it went.

Pheasants are striking in their coloring. Wild Quail are cool, but in todays world not many of use get too experience the thrill of hunting them.

Ruffed Grouse are the everymans upland bird. They can't be stocked, and it takes a specific forest habitat for them to prosper. A pointing Dog that masters how to handle them on a consistent basis is something special. They are rare.

When you hold one in your hand, I don't think there is a more beautiful game bird than an Appalachian Ruffed Grouse.

Last edited by battue; 12/24/11.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice photos, and a lovely dog...also nice to see someone hunting the King with pumps...this fall while visiting relatives, I worked in some grouse hunting...my best season in Pa. in many years..one morning, I hiked up an old farm road...I flushed 5 grouse from underneath ONE APPLE TREE...couldn't believe it. Not only that, but the old 870 managed to knock one down...have some photos if I ever figure how to post them....nice work all around..congradulations...

Molon Labe
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Found some new Pa. mountain clear cuts today. Hooooot!!!!
And Toby the flushing Cocker decided he would switch gears and point two birds. crazy

One of which I flat out missed. However, he dug this one out of the clearcut in the background and sent it over my head.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 01/06/12.

G
G
That a boy Battue. Give Toby an ear rub from me.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
98 miles each way for 7 flushes, and it was worth every minute.

Found bunches of new covers. Would do it again tomorrow if work didn't get in the way.

Ok, I would have stayed in a motel. wink

Last edited by battue; 01/06/12.

IC B3

K
kcl Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Awesome Harry!!! Great pic of Toby & nice bird also. Looks like Grouse Heaven...

Go hard or go Home!!!
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Going back next week. You and Gunner are invited.

K
kcl Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
what dates do you have in mind? Fri-Sat hunt would be best for me.. Let me know. Jared & I both seen nice bucks today but could not get good shots with the old smoke poles...

Go hard or go Home!!!
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Saturday is good. Brian will probably be going also.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm guessing there is something better than bird hunting with a dog, but I don't know what that could be.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm guessing there is something better than bird hunting with a dog, but I don't know what that could be.

I'm 32 years, grew up in central SD, hunted pheasants just about every day of the season after I turned 12, but we never owned a dog. 2 1/2 years ago my wife's uncle gave us a Weimaraner pup for our anniversary (I've always wanted a dog to hunt with, dad wouldn't have one in town). This fall was her first real good season of hunting, and I now know exactly what you're talking about. It's no longer about limits, it's about watching her work birds.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
17 flushes today and I didn't fire a shot and it rained for most of the day. However, a Bud shot once and knocked a bird down about 30yards into a thick clearcut. Toby was on it and brought it back within 2minutes.

Great day!!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (7887mm08, 10Glocks, AussieGunWriter, 44mc, 35, 12 invisible), 1,377 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,251
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.