Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
After examining lots of my spent brass ( all fired from this same rifle) it appears that most all of the primers have this hairline circular crack around the rim of the firing pin divit. Could there be something about the firing pin that is causing this, or is it the fact that the primer is unsupported in this region that causes the crack?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pharmvet
After examining lots of my spent brass ( all fired from this same rifle) it appears that most all of the primers have this hairline circular crack around the rim of the firing pin divit. Could there be something about the firing pin that is causing this....

Yes it is. When you have excess clearance between the f.p. tip and the f.p. hole, the primer cup material 'flows' into that area during firing. The primer cup thins as the metal is displaced into the area between the pin tip and the hole, the primer cup cracks because the material is now thinned, and the primer either 'blanks' (is pierced) or as in your case...simply leaks high pressure gas against the bolt face. Your bolt is the perfect example of this. The first thing most people will throw out there is that it's from "...excessive pressure", when in fact that may not be the case. Excessive pressure compounds the problem of course, but isn't the sole cause.

When you have the clearance between the pin and the hole optimized, all of this goes away. The best way to do this is to have the bolt face machined by an accuracy 'smith that has the process down. I can't emphasis this enough.

Stan Ware @ SGR has done several for me and as always, his work was flawless. I suggested Gre-Tan because Greg has a dedicated lathe set up to only do these modifications and his turn around time is very, very short.

The problem is obvious. The solution is quick and relatively inexspensive. Not much more to say...... wink

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
are you using pistol primers and hot loads?

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
This explanation corresponds most with what I'm finding with the bolt face and spent brass. Mainly because some of the primers are hit off center and some are not. This tells me there "has" to be some slop between the firing pin and the firing pin hole. Also, since I purchase the rifle used, I cannot be certain what ammo was used, however, I have owned the rifle for 20 years and have never used anything but factory ammo. Some of the ammo could be called "vintage" but factory none the less.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Is your barrel fouled with copper?

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by CAFR
Is your barrel fouled with copper?

As a matter of fact, I have been trying (with no success) to get this barrel clean. It is fouled with something that I have been unable to remove. I must admit that I have neglected this barrel and not taken care of it like I should have. Does copper fowling have any significance here? thanks

Last edited by pharmvet; 12/18/11.
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Still wanting to hear more about the copper fowling and how it relates. thanks

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Copper fouling can significantly increase the pressure in your chamber, thereby causing primer leakage and bolt face erosion. Not only that, your accuracy can go to hell. Pick up a bottle of Sweets 7.62 Copper Solvent and just follow the directions on the bottle. A nice polish with JB Bore Shine can help keep the copper fouling under control. I prefer Shooter's Choice Bore Solvent for regular cleaning, as it tends to remove trace copper before it can accumulate.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

+1.excellent work

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 1941USMC, 50 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,647
Posts18,493,344
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.