Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Hornady SP have been used by me since I started reloading in 1997. They have been very accurate....typically. Had some success with Sierra BT and Speer Hot Cores, but never used on game, just reloading.

FH

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Hornady and Power Points.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of my rifles are fed a steady diet of either the Ballistic tip, or Sierras...

i'm somewhat limited in time and patience, as for trying endless combinations of bullets...
i have tried quite a few deer bullets in my Model 70 Featherweight 25-06, and the winners so far are the 100 gr nosler in either ballistic tip, or partition.
For coyotes, in the same rifle, my search began and ended with the 75 gr Vmax bullet...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
Hornady...

+1

The vast majority of my bullet cabinet is red, though there are flashes of green, yellow, and black/gold too.

Hornady Interlocks ROCK. I make heavy use of the 100 gr/.257 cal, 165 gr/.308 cal, and 200 gr/.338 cal and never been let down. Based upon my experience, if you can't get the Interlock to shoot you're doing something wrong or have a bum rifle. I just haven't had a rifle that didn't like 'em and they're my go-to testing medium for new rifles.

Sierras are accurate and my 6mm-250 likes the 60 gr HP as well as the 85 HPBT GameKing. The 165 gr HPBT GK that someone else mentioned is an awesome one, too. The 90 gr HPBT GK is really accurate, though I've yet to punch a hole in a live target with 'em.

Speers & Noslers are my least-used brands, though I've always had great experiences with 'em. Hot Cors seem to hold together nicely, and TNTs are UBBER accurate and explosive. NBTs are like the Interlock... if you can't get 'em to shoot you're in dire straights cuz they're just plain WORK.

I'd never messed w/ monometals before I picked up a 257 Roy on trade here at the 'fire last year. Both 100 gr ETips & TTSXs shoot lights out at about 3575 fps and I'm looking forward to seeing them blow over many animals in the next several years, as it has become my go-to rifle/bullet combination.

Honestly, I love 'em all; I be celebratin' diversity smirk !!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like the A-Max, V-Max, and TTSX for specific purposes, but for bangin' steel or paper for practice, whatever I can find as "seconds" or "blems" is what I tend to use, whether Sierra, Nosler, Horn, or whatever.

I guess if you include the V-Max and A-Max, I tend to use Hornady C&C bullets more than any other. I did buy several thousand Sierra GK blems about a year and a half ago that are nearly gone now, so I've been shooting those a fair bit, too.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In the past have used all of them. Used a lot of Speer when ground hog hunting but it seems they have become more $$ so now use mostly hornady. I have used Rem CL for most of my big game reloading as they were priced right in bulk. Not the story now so once again hornady seems to be most available. I stll have quite a supply of C-L available so I suspect I will continue with them for most of my hunting

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hmmm.... hornady mentioned every where, Ballistic tips I should have added to the list, they seem a hot number.

I'm also with dogzapper, this really is "The golden age of bullets".

I was kinda tift so to say, when I was having a hard time finding the 7mm 160 gr. spitzer speer hot core bullet. But I did not have to look far to find a close alternative.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hornady IL's.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I could easily exist on Hornady's for the rest of my time here on the planet!

I tend to use more than enough gun
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have used Speer for my 44 mag and 45-70 ,no complaints.I had to buy some Hornadys for my 30-30 as the Sierras were not availabe.
However I have used Sierras for many many years with no complaints,although I always use the heavy for caliber weights.

I have found that all those complaints of poor termimal performance of Sierras are from using then at velocities outside the design paramters they were intended.

It is pretty much a given if you want to see the accuracy potential of any given rifle that you buy some Sierra Match Kings in the particular bullet that best matches the twist rate and work up a load with them.If the rifle won't shoot those accureately, it most likely won't shoot any other bullet any better.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a lot of Hornaday Interlocks,Sierra Game Kings and Nosler partition's. I've never had a failure from any of them and they have all done what I expected of them.

I also use quite a few Speer pistol bullets and never had a problem with them either.

I agree with dogzapper's assessment that this is the golden age of bullets. Good time to be a shooter and hunter. wink

6mm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I tried a few Hornady's way back when I first started loading at age 12. My 6mm never liked them at all. I've shot nothing but Nosler since. It used to be the solid-base boattail, but now I load nothing but the Partition and the Accubond.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Primarily shoot Hornady ILs unless not available in the weight I want, then it is Sierra.

RH

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hornady Interlocks.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hornady, Speer, Sierra whats your choice of 'plain janes'

Sierra has always been my Berger of old.I still reload them for.......Remington Core-Lokts are my cheap brand if I am buying factory ammo for less than $20.....They just flat out work and hold together well.

All that said,I am Nosler from head to toe and have been for many/many years.

Jayco

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ILs, NPTs, NBTs, Vmaxs, few green boxes, even fewer yellow. Nothing against green or yellow just not used much.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Wasn't the question "Plain Janes"?

Jayco grin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
NBT in most rifles. In the 45-70 I use Hornady and Speers depending on bullet weight.
I havent found a bullet that is easier to work with than the NBT and that works so well on game.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Is the NBT considered a plain Jane?

Just asking.

Jayco

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've used a lot of Sierra's over the years, without any real issues. I've had a couple come unglued, but I can say the same for Hornady ILs, especially the 140/.277", I don't use them any more. I simply cannot get Speers to shoot well in my rifles, dunno why, but they don't respond well, and aren't distributed as well locally, either.

For ruining a prairie dog's day, I use Hornady's mostly, those VMaxes are really fun to unleash on a PD, but BlitzKings work well, too. I just shop the sales ads whenever I need bullets, and buy what I can get the best deal on.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,175 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,930
Posts18,479,910
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.