Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Boys, retirement is weighing heavily on my mind today. Mrs. Tide will be hanging up her gunbelt as of August 1, 2012. I'll be doing the same on August 1, 2013.

Pat's recent post about the gulf coast of Texas has me thinking, and a year or so ago, Texas Rick and I had a healthy conversation about the East side of Texas.

Florida is what Florida is, but mainly, I care about not freezing my rollers off in the winter time. Then I want to hunt and fish. Will probably pick up some other kind of piddly job, as I'll be 41 when I lay this one down.

I'd most like to have somewhere between 10 and 40 acres and peace and quiet.

Restless as crud today. Saw some acreage around Bell, Florida and Starke, guess they are both in Gilchrist county.

Anybody got ideas further?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
From what little I know, Texas is good from a tax standpoint, but lousy for hunting on public land.

AZ is good for weather and hunting, but lousy from a tax standpoint when compared to Texas. Nevada seems to be decent for hunting and great for taxes. It will be a little cooler than Florida in the winter but not too bad in my opinion.

If hunting a fishing are high on the priority list, and assuming a fixed retirement income, I'd have to look long and hard at states that tend to get cooler in the winter but that's just me. Idaho holds a lot of potential for me, if they ever get their wolf problem under control, as there is a good variety of game animals but you do have difficult winters.

Good luck and congrats on both of your retirements.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Buy you a piece of land overlooking the river in Maysville.

Get a boat.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
AZ.

Not a real fan of either Texas or Florida.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
This is as good as it gets.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Bristoe, you have been into the corn again. Maysville isn't a bad town, but I'd really like to ride around on my Ranger and shoot hogs when the mood strikes and deer when they are in season.

I'd take another job and start all over again, before I'd move to some state that is colder than Kentucky. My parents are still living in Eastern KY, so Proximity to the home place is a concern, as well as my health care coverage.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
AZ's deer hunting opportunities irk me. I am a fan of AZ, though.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You can't beat Florida from a sunshine & fishing standpoint.
Not retired yet, but we have a small place in Florida. We love it!
Small island off Placida. It is like OLD Florida.

Forget about hunting there however. Go north in the fall.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Florida is dirt cheap , our family has a place near Cape Coral and we might buy another to lease.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
My little brother used to live in Ocala, and he loved it. Sorta puts Florida in the front.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TEXAS

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BikerRN
From what little I know, Texas is good from a tax standpoint, but lousy for hunting on public land.

From what little you know? You bet... Texas has enough clueless biker nurses.
All we want from folks that move here is this. I DON'T CARE HOW YOU DID THINGS WHERE YOU CAME FROM! And... I recommend Florida...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Boys, retirement is weighing heavily on my mind today. Mrs. Tide will be hanging up her gunbelt as of August 1, 2012. I'll be doing the same on August 1, 2013.

Pat's recent post about the gulf coast of Texas has me thinking, and a year or so ago, Texas Rick and I had a healthy conversation about the East side of Texas.

Florida is what Florida is, but mainly, I care about not freezing my rollers off in the winter time. Then I want to hunt and fish. Will probably pick up some other kind of piddly job, as I'll be 41 when I lay this one down.

I'd most like to have somewhere between 10 and 40 acres and peace and quiet.

Restless as crud today. Saw some acreage around Bell, Florida and Starke, guess they are both in Gilchrist county.

Anybody got ideas further?

What, you're not considering Tuscaloser Alerbammer? Home of da Bahr, the greatest coach ever? Home of da Crimpsum Tahd? Walking distance from good deer hunting? The Black Warrior River runs right through it. You'd be right at home, and probably raise the average IQ of the area a great deal.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BrotherBart

All we want from folks that move here is this. I DON'T CARE HOW YOU DID THINGS WHERE YOU CAME FROM! And... I recommend Florida...

NO, not Florida, it is over run with Damnyankees, the fishing sucks and there is no hunting in the entire state! smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Jim,
I considered it, but the propensity for Alabama to tax my meager retirement has caused me to decide against it. Besides, I've been pulling for a winner all these years from a distance, might as well continue.

Bart,
How I did what I did here, does not apply to how I will do what I do when I get where I am going.

Terry,
Why I gotta be a damnyankee?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not you but the state is full of them. And I am just yanking you and Bart by the chain. C'mon down to Punta Gorda for a visit.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We chose Texas haing lived outside of Houston and in West Texas previously. We are now settled in the Hill Country and could not be happier. Friendly folks abound, good weather in a year, fishing is great and home prices are typically low. The only bitch is hunting as you will have to pay if you choose to hunt here. I very seldom do and really only when it is some corporate invite. If you are seriously considering Texas I suggest you take a trip through the Hill Country.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Jim,
I considered it, but the propensity for Alabama to tax my meager retirement has caused me to decide against it. Besides, I've been pulling for a winner all these years from a distance, might as well continue.

Bart,
How I did what I did here, does not apply to how I will do what I do when I get where I am going.

Terry,
Why I gotta be a damnyankee?

Wishin' you the best wherever you wind up, but by all means, get to the end of the career safe.

Also, so you're going to retire for real? Not gonna draw your check and work too?

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by T LEE
Originally Posted by BrotherBart

NO, not Florida, it is over run with Damnyankees, the fishing sucks and there is no hunting in the entire state! smile smile smile

Sorry, but I beg to defer. The fishing is unreal where we go. Small island out of Placida (little Gasparilla). Wonderful Snook, Redfish, Sea Trout, Tarpon....etc.

This coming from a MN snowbird. MN people know what good fishing is.

We have a small ma & pa bait shop. A fresh fish shop (shrimp & fish) right off the boat. Wonderful sunsets with my bride are cherished.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That was a VERY tongue in cheek post. Been here for near 40 years and LOVE IT! I am even old enough to posess a FREE Hunting, Fishing & WMA license, LIFE IS GOOD!

NOW SNOWBIRD..........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The proceeding is ALL in FUN.

Old cat turd!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 1badf350, 2500HD, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 264mag, 59 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,921
Posts18,498,465
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.