.338LM necked down and blown out...

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
338 WM necked down, hold the fluff..... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

+1 Thats my favorite 7mm wildcat...... whistle

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A nice write-up by David Petzal on "what we can learn from Lefty"...

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/shooting-tips/2009/12/what-we-can-learn-lefty

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
475 head of game, I'd say that's a few arks... wink

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I read Dr. Pages stuff as a teen and that is why I built my Mashburn. Warren wrote in a style that speaks to my heart much more than Cactus Jack.

He died without the reader reputation/love that Jack gets and that is a real shame but the Mashburn lives on !!!!!! God Bless Warren Page where ever he may be.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't know Warren but did know Hagel and that's why built mine. Been thru 3 tubes so far and hope to roast many mo b4 my time in the hills is over.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
R
R
I second this motion
Originally Posted by Ruger270man
7MM Weatherby !

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Page got this rifle very early in his career�1949 or so. He called it �Old Betsy,� and used only one handload for everything, a 175-grain Nosler semi-spitzer bullet at 3,050 fps

This was before the 300 Win mag, so what case did Page use for the S-Mashburn in 1949.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He used the H&H trimmed down, once the 300 WM came out (62) then they used it.

Dober

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by boomwack

Yeah, I went that way for a long time.....still one of my favorites.

Close, but it ain't a Mashburn.... wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH

What can an Mashburn kill that a 7mm Wby or Rem can't? Seem like alot of extra work and more expense for little gain. crazy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by joecool544

What can an Mashburn kill that a 7mm Wby or Rem can't? Seem like alot of extra work and more expense for little gain. crazy

joe IIRC you stay at home and shoot elk at long distances from the house with a blown out 270 magnum of some sort....so I guess I could ask you the same question(?) No? smile

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
joecool544, for me the 7mm Mashburn Super offers three things:

(1) significant Panache cool factor
(2) optimal ballistic and terminal performance given a set of design criteria, performance parameters, available components, and reloading concerns
(3)a possible Holy Grail to my never-ended quest for the "perfect cartridge"

I agree the on-game performance of a 7RM or 7Wby would be indistinguishable, but that is not one of my criteria.

smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I spose in the real world not much, but then again if I wanted to look at it that was I'd use a 06 and a 168 or 180 and have a 22 LR and a 12 gauge....grin

To me, it's not so much about what else it will do but I just plain like it and want it so I use it. 4 me, it's the extra work of making the cases is of no big deal. Think the last time I did 50 virgin cases it took 8 minutes, I can't even cook a pizza in that time. Then I had to take the time to fire form them, and they shoot MOA to 500 so it's all good practice for me.

The Mash takes me speed wise places I can't go with the 7 RM, the Wby is surely in the arena but has none of the Panache for me that the Wby or RM has. And for me that's kind of important.

Plus, I got to know Hagel a bit so for me I enjoy using the round as I know that Bob used it. Good enough for me.

Long and the short people should use it if they wish, don't if it doesn't make sense to them and hit the hill and hunt hard the rest of the time.

Bottom line, this stuff is just fun for me, if I wanted to be reasonable about it like I said there's other ways to do it. Bout the time I worry about the extra expense of a set of dies that I paid more for than I would of another set of dies I'll start doing all my hunting at the grocery store.

I don't dick with a lot of different guns, I don't buy new guns every year. I have a few old favs that I run the hell out of. My 700 Mash is ready for it's 9th tube. I like the gun, I'm intimate with it and I can get things done with it in an ok manner. So 4 me, it works.

Gotta run, you all have a good day!

Dober

(Joe, you run a 7 Allen?)

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

joe IIRC you stay at home and shoot elk at long distances from the house with a blown out 270 magnum of some sort....so I guess I could ask you the same question(?) No? smile

Oh no Bob you just didn't say that did you grin Now don't be jealous cause I have my own place to hunt. wink Hell yeah I shoot them from the front porch (you and every body else would do the same thing if you had such a place) with many different things. But if I'm going to all the work that the Mashburn take I would go for much bigger gains like the 7mm Allen.

Last edited by joecool544; 01/20/12.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I spose in the real world not much, but then again if I wanted to look at it that was I'd use a 06 and a 168 or 180 and have a 22 LR and a 12 gauge....grin

To me, it's not so much about what else it will do but I just plain like it and want it so I use it. 4 me, it's the extra work of making the cases is of no big deal. Think the last time I did 50 virgin cases it took 8 minutes, I can't even cook a pizza in that time. Then I had to take the time to fire form them, and they shoot MOA to 500 so it's all good practice for me.

The Mash takes me speed wise places I can't go with the 7 RM, the Wby is surely in the arena but has none of the Panache for me that the Wby or RM has. And for me that's kind of important.

Plus, I got to know Hagel a bit so for me I enjoy using the round as I know that Bob used it. Good enough for me.

Long and the short people should use it if they wish, don't if it doesn't make sense to them and hit the hill and hunt hard the rest of the time.

Bottom line, this stuff is just fun for me, if I wanted to be reasonable about it like I said there's other ways to do it. Bout the time I worry about the extra expense of a set of dies that I paid more for than I would of another set of dies I'll start doing all my hunting at the grocery store.

I don't dick with a lot of different guns, I don't buy new guns every year. I have a few old favs that I run the hell out of. My 700 Mash is ready for it's 9th tube. I like the gun, I'm intimate with it and I can get things done with it in an ok manner. So 4 me, it works.

Gotta run, you all have a good day!

Dober

(Joe, you run a 7 Allen?)

Good post Mark not much a guy can't kill with the old 06 grin No I don't have a 7mm Allen I do have a 7mm REM and 7mm Wby having a 708 and a 7mm wsm built right now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless you're getting the good guy deal I'm guessing that tween your 7 RM, your Wby, and the 7/08 and the WSM you're probable spending a bit more than I did for my one set of Mash dies. But, I could be wrong as I've been so many times b4 and have no doubt I will be again....grin

I wouldn't mind doing a 7WSM on my lil 70/Edge platform, may get to it once this dang economy settles around a bit.

Thinking the only reason I don't just run an 06 is cause everyone member of my family from top to bottom did while I was getting older (note I didn't say growing up as I've always believed that growing older is inevitable but growing up is optional...grin). So, I ran a 270 and every other thing just to be different. Guessing that might just have something to do with the reason I run a Mashburn.

Dober

(side note Joe, do you get much for white your way in the winter?)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by joecool544

Oh no Bob you just didn't say that did you grin Now don't be jealous cause I have my own place to hunt. wink Hell yeah I shoot them from the front porch (you and every body else would do the same thing if you had such a place) with many different things. But if I'm going to all the work that the Mashburn take I would go for much bigger gains like the 7mm Allen.

Joe wasn't knocking it....I just wanted to be sure I had the right guy! Didn't you have an Allen mag? A 270 of some sort? that's what I recall....

As to the gains,yes they can be small,but they are consistent, rifle to rifle....but you just get the velocity easier from it...since I am basically down to three BG calbers(Mashburn,270,and 375H&H)the time for loading is not a factor.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yes Bob I have a 270 Allen, 338 Allen and a 338 ultra Maxx that is based off the 270 Allen.

The 270 Allen is very easy to load for just neck down the 7mm RUM and leave a false shoulder and shoot it. The bad part about it is wildcat bullets have dried up. Good part about it I guess is I bought a bunch of them when I guy could get them.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.