Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
anie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
maxx what's the recoil like on the rifles inc 300 win?

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by anie
maxx what's the recoil like on the rifles inc 300 win?

Even with the muzzle brake, it is quite stiff. However as normal, you don't really feel the recoil in the field like you do off the bench. I prefer a 300 when hunting sheep, lots of grizz around where I hunt.

Last edited by Maxx; 01/08/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by roninflag
Mark- i have only shot two coues. last one was oct 2010 in 36b. i shot a ROCKY MTN bighorn in 2009 in az. even though i have a 700 titainium . i used a 700 sendero 7mm mag with a krieger barrel. . i waited 27 years . i did not want to miss. or have to pass on a shot that is little too far.

I'd be willing to bet that there's a ton load more sheep taken with 8 lb plus rigs than there ever will be with the flyweights..

All my long range work and crunch time work has been with rifles that are on the heavier side.

Dober

I am right on board with the above. Tough shots and high heart rates mean flyweight rifles need not apply.

This ram was killed with a 9lbs gun.
[Linked Image]

This was 10 lbs unloaded.
[Linked Image]

8.5 Lbs
[Linked Image]

10 lbs unloaded
[Linked Image]

10 Lbs unloaded
[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

A
anie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
nice sheep John looks like some fun hunts, do your rifles (greybull) use hs stocks?
have a nice 7mag 700 in a h-s stock all up about 9.25 w/26 barrel.

love the picture with u and your buddy in the snow. had some snow days like that in the gros ventre's by shoal falls remember those days for along time.

my sheep gun is about 7.5 lbs which is a nice weight for me , not to light
just about right,eh

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
John are you an outfitter too?

I'm not a fan of heavies when encroaching upon 10,000 ft ASL.

However, at this rate I'll probably never draw a tag and I sure as schit can't afford a Stone sheep or Dall Sheep Hunt

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

This one weighs 10lbs and on that day it was none too heavy.

[Linked Image]

Winds were gusting to 50mph.

I sure do shoot a heavy rifle better and I shot from the top of the ridge behind me.

To each his own but I just can�t shoot the flyweight rifles with consistency from field positions.

Sure does suck to pack a heavy gun but it sucks more to have to climb the hill again tomorrow because I couldn�t make the shot. laugh

You need to put a real sling on that thing.....laffin! If you show up out here for the shoot I'll have to fix you up.

Your slings are freakin' AWESOME!

Jus' need the lightweight rifle for it ;-)

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Since this thread began last April, a new candidate for Perfect Sheep Rifle has surfaced: the Forbes Rifle. Offered in .270 and .30-06 at around $1400, it should be an affordable option to Melvin's NULA. The Forbes will fill all the requirements of light weight and proper balance, and Mel promises it will be a shooter too. And it will wear his unique kevlar stock.

Nuff said.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two rifles that I use on sheep and other backpacking hunts. One is a custom Winchester Model 70 Classic in 7mm Rem Mag. It has a 24" featherweight contour barrel, a McMillan EDGE stock and a 3.5-10x40 Leupold Vari-X III scope. It weighs 7.75 pounds loaded.

I also have a M70 Classic that was built from the ground up for Alaskan backpack hunting. It has a 24" stainless Lilja barrel in the factory featherweight contour chambered in 30-06, a McMillan Hunters EDGE stock with blind magazine and a Leupold 3-9 Ultralight in Talley Lightweight rings. The barrel, action and trigger bow are all coated with black Teflon. It weighs 6 pounds 14 ounces loaded.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Chetaf; 01/09/12.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Chet nice ram! smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dawaba
Since this thread began last April, a new candidate for Perfect Sheep Rifle has surfaced: the Forbes Rifle.
Nuff said.

Maybe...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

A
anie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
like your ram chet, were r u headed 4 your next sheep hunt?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by anie
like your ram chet, were r u headed 4 your next sheep hunt?

Thanks guys. I took that ram on a self-guided backpack hunt when I lived in AK.

I apply in Utah for desert sheep each year and in WY and ID for Rocky Mountain bighorn. I have 15 points for the desert sheep (I am a resident), so, I should draw sometime in the next 50 years. grin

In the meantime, I will probably do another Dall hunt in AK in the next three years. I have hunted the Chugach and Wrangells, so, I may try the Alaska or Brooks Range next.

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've only been lucky enough to hunt sheep once and this was what I chose! Knew it wouldnt be hard to get close (getting to where they where at was a totally different story) to them so I wanted to make it fun.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where did you take that ewe? Looks like it would be a fun place to hunt sheep.

Chet

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
I've only been lucky enough to hunt sheep once and this was what I chose! Knew it wouldnt be hard to get close (getting to where they where at was a totally different story) to them so I wanted to make it fun.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I love to see the lightweight bolt guns like everyone else and with God's help, I too will see a sheep hunt before I die...but dang that looks like a fun way to hunt them jmgraham!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It was in the Latir Wilderness. About 30 miles north of Taos NM. It was a fun hunt. It was the first time that the state of NM has ever had a ewe hunt.

V/r
Jon

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (AlleghenyMountain, 44mc, 7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, AceBall, 13 invisible), 1,641 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,833
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.